Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2019, 07:09 AM   #1

How OCD are you with your focusing screens?

Yep, not to be taken too seriously - although a little peer support is completely fine. It's something I'm always itchy about when checking out a new camera - will I be able to live with that mark?

And no matter how careful I try to be when changing objectives, I always seem to spot a new spec of dust somewhere I could swear wasn't there before... Especially around the center area ('focusing aid') I often spot little marks (seeing as that area is usually clearer), where a rocket blower apparently does nothing. Or makes it worse even? I guess these are not 'dust' but tiny little scratches in the plastic or something.

The ridiculous thing is, with most focusing screens it's impossible to spot them when not really paying attention to them, even a very clean focusing screen often reveals marks when observed against a clear blue sky. So why do it, you may ask...

I know, I know. The correct answer to the whole thing is, I need to loosen up.

08-08-2019, 09:00 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Made the mistake of trying to clean my MX screen many years ago.

I made it a lot worse. I got used to the marks. I stopped worrying about it.

I ended up a lot happier and less ocd
08-08-2019, 09:20 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would send in the camera to Eric if you want the focusing screen properly cleaned. Sometimes there is noting you can do if it was scratched and you just have to live with the marks.

Phil.
08-08-2019, 09:35 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Made the mistake of trying to clean my MX screen many years ago. I made it a lot worse.
I also did that with another camera a couple of years ago - lesson learned right there. Now if I have to do something I try to just stick with using a rocket blower.

It's one of those things I guess; once you look through a lens with a flashlight, you can never go back.

With focusing screens it'd be a good idea to just never check 'em against the sky. I've also noticed some marks become more noticeable when stepping down the lens (depth of field preview or smaller aperture lens).

08-08-2019, 02:46 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by film-love Quote
I've also noticed some marks become more noticeable when stepping down the lens (depth of field preview or smaller aperture lens).
As the late, great comedian Tommy Cooper used to say:

TC :"Doctor, it hurts when I do that"

Doctor: "Well don't do that then"
08-08-2019, 09:46 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
As the late, great comedian Tommy Cooper used to say:

TC :"Doctor, it hurts when I do that"

Doctor: "Well don't do that then"

Yep...
08-08-2019, 10:02 PM   #7
AoCo
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just noticed a mote on my K-1 focusing screen but I haven’t gotten around to* getting the bulb blower out of the side pocket of the bag yet.

* I’m mostly OCD about old lenses and the kitchen counter.
08-08-2019, 10:57 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
and the kitchen counter.
I hear you I got a long history on being ocd on a bit of this and that... Life's too short, trying to get away from it one thing at a time. Next up: focusing screens.

08-10-2019, 02:56 PM   #9

Very OCD is the short answer but I have a Canon AE1 with a dead bug between the screen and the prism and have to live with it as the AE1 is nigh impossible to get the prism out.

I also have a Minolta where there is a flaw inside the prism, must be an air bubble inside the glass block and it drives me mad.
08-10-2019, 03:12 PM   #10
Pentaxian

My K-50.... It had some specs so I decided to go at it...... It is now DARK and with many streaks, mostly due to my cleaning attempts. It's been like so for 1 year. Got used to it, but would love for a clean screeen.
08-10-2019, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
Got used to it, but would love for a clean screeen.
They are the same as on more recent model Pentax dSLRs and are available at B&H and other vendors:

Pentax MF-60 AF Standard Focusing Screen 38578 B&H Photo Video

Steve
08-11-2019, 12:09 AM - 1 Like   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
Canon AE1 with a dead bug between the screen
Ouch, I've actually sometimes thought something like that could happen.

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
My K-50.... It had some specs so I decided to go at it...... It is now DARK and with many streaks, mostly due to my cleaning attempts. It's been like so for 1 year. Got used to it, but would love for a clean screeen.
I feel you. Some of my cleaning attempts have been similar. Best not to touch.

What has happened a few times, I have gotten loads of dust specs cleaned from the sides of the screen, but have ended up with tiny spots and marks right in the middle split screen instead. I don't know which side of the screen those marks are usually on.

I once had a scrap ME that I wasn't going to use in any case, so I tried just wiping the middle area with a cotton bud and used quite a lot of force even - I was surprised that it actually cleaned it a little and didn't do any horrific damage. But then again, I would definitely not recommend anyone to try the anything like that (and I haven't either with any of my good cameras) because sometimes the most gentle cleaning attempt can result in a horrible streak or scratch.

I'm not really sure if that 'brighter' center area (with the focusing aid) is -more- or -less- sensitive to touching (compared to the side area) though.
08-11-2019, 02:28 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A friend of mine had a Super-A with dust on the focus screen, he blasted it with canned CO2 and made it much much worse. I had a very scratched LX screen, that was easily fixed then, as new screens were cheap at the time (not now!).
19 Hours Ago   #14
Pentaxian

Dust doesn't bother me much on the focusing screen all that much despite ACTUALLY being OCD

I feel like if it ever got bad enough on my KP I'd just send it in to a pro to get it cleaned since I hate working on my own "critical" gear.

My film gear is actually pretty clean despite most of them never getting a CLA, the only one that's actually getting hard to use is the Yashica rangefinder which I probably need to get sent in for a number of reasons at this point.