Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2019, 06:03 PM   #1

ME lightmeter only works with winder.

I have a Pentax ME SLR and the lightmeter only works when I attach the Winder II. The batteries are new and in the right orientation. Shutter, film advance and everything works fine except for the light meter. When I attach the winder II, with batteries installed, the lightmeter works when half pressing the shutter release on the winder. Half pressing the shutter (with the film advance lever out 30 degrees) on the camera body does nothing.

Any help is appreciated.

08-09-2019, 08:55 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by agm82 Quote
I have a Pentax ME SLR and the lightmeter only works when I attach the Winder II.
Well, that is strange. It appears there may be a problem with the meter switch for the shutter button on the body. IIRC, the button acts directly on a circuit board through a two-stage switch. The problem may be a poor connection or a broken solder joint. A free PDF copy of the ME service manual with exploded parts diagrams may be downloaded from the Pentax Manuals Web site:
Pentax Manuals | Service Manuals
Unfortunately, the manual does not include the descriptive parts list.

This is probably a job for an experienced repair person, though another user on this site may have hands-on experience with a simple fix. With any luck, that person may weigh in.

Steve
08-09-2019, 09:03 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Well, that is strange. It appears there may be a problem with the meter switch for the shutter button on the body. IIRC, the button acts directly on a circuit board through a two-stage switch. The problem may be a poor connection or a broken solder joint. A free PDF copy of the ME service manual with exploded parts diagrams may be downloaded from the Pentax Manuals Web site:
Pentax Manuals | Service Manuals
Unfortunately, the manual does not include the descriptive parts list.

This is probably a job for an experienced repair person, though another user on this site may have hands-on experience with a simple fix. With any luck, that person may weigh in.

Steve
Thank you for your reply. I suspected a failed contact switch of some sort. I will look into the service manual you linked. Thanks again.