Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
08-19-2019, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote

The part description for the FB grip is 'AA Battery Grip FB', so it's obviously the AA grip. Note, all grips have a label showing NiCd crossed out as these batteries are not recommended (probably also applied other rechargeable batteries).
I had the original SFX, bought in 1987. The camera body and the F35-70 lens. Not as a kit, but in two separated boxes.

I also bought the AA grip, with the no-nicd sticker inside. The reason for not using rechargeable batteries in the SFX is the possibility to fry the camera electronics due to low voltage and consequently higher current from the nicd batteries, as I remember.

08-20-2019, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm thinking to get the F35-70.
Just finished a roll of Agfa using an F 28-80 so will get them developed first.

SFXn seems like a solid camera, great viewfinder compared to the MX series.
08-20-2019, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
I'm thinking to get the F35-70.
Just finished a roll of Agfa using an F 28-80 so will get them developed first.

SFXn seems like a solid camera, great viewfinder compared to the MX series.
I started out with the SF-1, as a body only purchase. The local shop did have the kit, but the dealer didn't recommend it because of the lesser quality lens. I was going from manual- to auto-focus at the time, so I went for the more expensive lenses. I later bought the SF-1n, which also came body-only. Both models were a quantum leap ahead of the Nikon N4004. Nikon had yet to come out with the N6006, or the N8008, so the Pentax was my top consideration. However, the SF's suffered from slow AF, and I only kept them until I could get a PZ-1.
08-20-2019, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

^
Got some MZ series cameras, 3, 5, 10, which I really like, zippy autofocus and nice, but compact ergonomics. Completely opposite to the oder SF series.
The viewfinder is a huge attraction of the SF cameras.

Don't want to stray off topic, but how do the P series viewfinders compare?

08-20-2019, 11:35 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I bought my SFXn as a shop demo body only. They also had one F50/1.7 and one AF240FT flash, both also shop demos. I could only afford the body.

I went back the next week, the lens & flash were still there, this time I could afford the flash but not the lens, but I offered them £50 for it reasoning they were very unlikely to sell their only remaining Pentax item. They refused, but the next week it had been reduced to £20, my best Pentax deal ever!
08-28-2019, 07:43 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I bought my SFXn as a shop demo body only. They also had one F50/1.7 and one AF240FT flash, both also shop demos. I could only afford the body.

I went back the next week, the lens & flash were still there, this time I could afford the flash but not the lens, but I offered them £50 for it reasoning they were very unlikely to sell their only remaining Pentax item. They refused, but the next week it had been reduced to £20, my best Pentax deal ever!
How do you like using the AF240T? That is one flash I don't have, I was wondering if I should get it. I do have the AF160SA, AF200T, AF280T, AF360FGZ, and my latest addition is the very neat Pentax Autorobo, so I don't know if another flash unit would really add anything to what I could do with those.
08-29-2019, 01:01 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

I picked up an SFX a couple of years ago which came with the Takumar-F version of the 35-70mm, which is the same as the standard version except for not having SMC coatings.

The SFXn is a nice camera to use, even with manual focus lenses, and the 1/4000s max shutter speed is very handy.

08-29-2019, 01:20 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OldChE Quote
How do you like using the AF240T? That is one flash I don't have, I was wondering if I should get it. I do have the AF160SA, AF200T, AF280T, AF360FGZ, and my latest addition is the very neat Pentax Autorobo, so I don't know if another flash unit would really add anything to what I could do with those.
It's the AF240FT - one of the original auto focus flashguns (not helped by all Pentax guns starting with AF...). It provides an AF illuminator and basic TTL flash for the AF SLRs that support it (GN24m, fixed head). With the SFXn I used it in combo with the built in flash for more output. It also supports rear (2nd) curtain sync. It only offers full TTL or manual (full or quarter power) flash and does not have it's own sensor.

It doesn't provide any of the current Pentax PTTL modes and can only be used as a manual flash on current Pentax DSLRs.

I use it today in two ways:
1) It's a safe gun to use in manual on a DSLR, either manual flash or in quarter power as fill or to trigger other guns via optical slaves.

2) To provide an AF illuminator or rear curtain sync for my 645D (I don't use flash enough to justify buying an expensive current flash). You can set the gun to AF illuminator only (i.e. no flash).
08-29-2019, 01:27 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought it when it was being offered with a two lens kit (from Selfridges in London of all places) - and now you've got me wondering why I no longer have either lens...hmm - I suspect I left them in South Africa when we moved back to the UK, but I really can't remember
09-02-2019, 01:34 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's the AF240FT - one of the original auto focus flashguns (not helped by all Pentax guns starting with AF...). It provides an AF illuminator and basic TTL flash for the AF SLRs that support it (GN24m, fixed head). With the SFXn I used it in combo with the built in flash for more output. It also supports rear (2nd) curtain sync. It only offers full TTL or manual (full or quarter power) flash and does not have it's own sensor.

It doesn't provide any of the current Pentax PTTL modes and can only be used as a manual flash on current Pentax DSLRs.

I use it today in two ways:
1) It's a safe gun to use in manual on a DSLR, either manual flash or in quarter power as fill or to trigger other guns via optical slaves.

2) To provide an AF illuminator or rear curtain sync for my 645D (I don't use flash enough to justify buying an expensive current flash). You can set the gun to AF illuminator only (i.e. no flash).
Thanks for the info. It doesn't seem like it offers much that I don't already have with the AF200T and AF280T in terms of TTL operation, and of course my AF360FGZ does almost everything (TTL, PTTL, Auto, AF illuminator, etc.) though it is a bit large. Still, the AF240FT does seem to be quite compact.
04-19-2021, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #26

Regardless, the f/3.5-4.6 35-70mm kit lens is an excellent starter/pair with the SFX/SF1 camera. It's my go to walk around with my SF1-n.

Side note, the SF1-n vs the SF1 has a much brighter viewfinder and higher shutter speed. They are both affordable, but love the SF1-n.