Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
08-18-2019, 05:15 AM   #1

Flickr sucks, thanks marissa (verizon says thanks so much too)

When you view photos after a search or in a groups photos the life is sucked out of them in some kind of java crap. A plugin called CanvasBlocker makes them look like good photos again, actual contrast tonality and sharpness.

So yes, flickr now degrades the viewing of the pictures on it.

08-18-2019, 05:52 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
CanvasBlocker seems to be about blocking fingerprint tracking and nothing to do with how Canvas renders images.
08-18-2019, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
no idea what you're talking about - I'm looking at flickr right now and the images are as vibrant/full of life as they've always been...
08-18-2019, 06:56 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have no problems with Flickr viewing. I believe you may have a problem with your internet connection or video card.

08-18-2019, 07:21 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ranchu Quote
Not for me. Flickr is displaying as good as it always does.
08-18-2019, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Not for me. Flickr is displaying as good as it always does.

and I'm not sure where Verizon comes into it....
08-18-2019, 07:36 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Flickr looks the same to me...perhaps there is a problem with browser color management settings? As for "java crap"...there is very little Java in use on the Web anymore such that it is unlikely that the browser plug-in is even present on your machine.

Steve

08-18-2019, 07:40 AM   #8

It's worth noting that Flickr is no longer owned by Yahoo. The Verizon dig is because Verizon owned Yahoo, which in turn owned Flickr.

Other than that, I'm not sure what the OP is talking about. Image resolution seems fine. I will say that I think Smugmug has struggled with server efficiency or something, it's been a little weird of late.
08-18-2019, 08:02 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Flickr looks the same to me...perhaps there is a problem with browser color management settings? As for "java crap"...there is very little Java in use on the Web anymore such that it is unlikely that the browser plug-in is even present on your machine.

Steve
QuoteQuote:
Canvas is an HTML5 API which is used to draw graphics and animations on a web page via scripting in JavaScript.
QuoteQuote:
But apart from this, canvas can be used as additional entropy in web browser's fingerprinting and used for online tracking purposes.
Fingerprinting is what the plug-in the OP mentioned blocks...
08-18-2019, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
You always have to account for the possibility that someone will not know the difference between Java and JavaScript. I still bump into those misconceptions on a regular basis.
08-18-2019, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
You always have to account for the possibility that someone will not know the difference between Java and JavaScript. I still bump into those misconceptions on a regular basis.
Funny how LiveScript became JavaScript just because Java was the buzzword of 1995...
08-18-2019, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Funny how LiveScript became JavaScript just because Java was the buzzword of 1995...
Yes...very strange. The only real similarities are syntactical and even that is superficial. FWIW, I remember the name shift even though LiveScript as a label was incredibly short-lived.

Steve

(...ECMAScript anyone? )
08-18-2019, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Flickr working fine for me and photos looking fine (apart from the crap ones, obviously) as always.
08-19-2019, 04:25 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
No viewing issues for me. Only notification problems.
10-06-2019, 08:36 AM   #15
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Ranchu Quote
When you view photos after a search or in a groups photos the life is sucked out of them in some kind of java crap. A plugin called CanvasBlocker makes them look like good photos again, actual contrast tonality and sharpness.

Since Smugmug's acquisition of Flickr I have little to complain about. The site loads more quickly, browsing my albums, uploading images, viewing other albums and galleries of fellow Flickr members has never been better.

As for the quality of the photos goes, well, they are (as others have mentioned) just as vibrant and colorful as ever.

And I don't get the java crap comment. I don't have java installed on my computers, or my iPod (which I use toview my Flickr collection and share with friends when I'm not at home). Flickr works great, right out of the box.

Easy squeezy.

No Pain.

No stain.