Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2019, 06:48 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Using lenses with no aperture-control ring on a Pentax LX, Part 2

So after the info I got from the forum members here last time, I decided not to get a 100mm F2.8 WR. But I was still curious about using said lenses and whether I could rig a solution to allow me to use those lenses on my LX. So I installed a spring on the aperture control lever of a Promaster Spectrum 7 2x teleconverter and attached my HD 20-40mm DA Ltd WR. The metering stopped working completely because the indicator lever to the camera was swinging free, but the DoF lever showed I had a full open aperture when the mechanism was actuated. I was a bit worried that the lens wouldn't cover the entire image frame, but thought the teleconversion might fix that. I shot a roll of ektachrome 100 in it, after a friend advised me that a slide film would be more forgiving to underexposure (he was wrong). The results were not terrible though! The image circle does a decent job of frame coverage and the bokeh is pretty nice in some portrait shots. I will probably try this again with something with a wider aperture just to see how they come out. I have the plastic 50mm f1.8 DA and it has been gathering dust for a while waiting for something interesting.

Attached Images

08-23-2019, 09:12 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Really interesting, thanks for sharing!

QuoteOriginally posted by reuvens Quote
I shot a roll of ektachrome 100 in it, after a friend advised me that a slide film would be more forgiving to underexposure (he was wrong).
Lol that is genuinely terrible advice
08-25-2019, 12:59 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Lol that is genuinely terrible advice
I concur. Slight underexposure on chromes gives you more color saturation - about half a stop, one stop maximum. More than that and you are in uncharted territory. Color negative film, on the other hand, can be abused a lot as far as underexposure goes. Point and shoot owners did it all the time and left it to Kodak to save the day. Actually, the technician at the lab. A friend was in the business and he related quite a few tales of how he had to rescue extremely 'thin' negatives.