Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2019, 06:49 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Ideas needed for broken screw on Pentax Spotmatic

Hey all,

I have an old Spotmatic that I am trying to remove the top plate to check into an issue I'm having with the shutter button being stuck down.

When removing the center screw on the film advance lever, the head of the screw broke off, letting me take the plate with the shot counter off, but obviously the screw is still inside the mechanism preventing further progress.

I'm looking for ideas for how to get it out. I have a parts donor that I can use the replace the screw once I'm done. I have thought of maybe JB welding something to the top so I can screw it out, but it's so small I don't know if I want to risk getting the weld on any of the rest of the pieces...

Any ideas? I really like this camera, but I suppose at some point it's more effort than it's worth

Thanks. See the attached images.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Pixel 2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Pixel 2  Photo 
09-16-2019, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Vampliers. A tool with a stupid name but they are awesome at this. Once you own a pair you will use them constantly.

Vampire Professional Tools International VMPVT-001-7LN Vampliers 7LN, 7.5" Long Nose - - amazon.com?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Also, you may have a left handed screw there. It’s that way on an old Canon I took apart. Look carefully or ask someone who’s done this before proceeding.
09-16-2019, 08:14 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I've successfully removed a couple of smallish stripped / broken screws from vintage lenses using a Moody's extractor set, similar to this one:

Moody Tools 58-0670S 6-Piece Slot/Phil/Screw Extractor Combo Reversible Driver Set, Silver Aluminum Handles: Hand Tool Sets: amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific?tag=pentaxforums-20&

A little squirt of WD40 before-hand, and a few minutes to soak, might help loosen the remaining threaded piece...
09-16-2019, 08:16 AM   #4

The "official" way to remove broken screws is to use a screw extractor. The other method is to drill out the screw with a bit of a smaller diameter on a drill press.

Search Results | Micro-Tools

JB Weld will not have enough torque strength for you to remove the screw. As noted above the screw might be reversed threaded.

09-16-2019, 08:26 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Vampliers. A tool with a stupid name but they are awesome at this. Once you own a pair you will use them constantly.

Vampire Professional Tools International VMPVT-001-7LN Vampliers 7LN, 7.5" Long Nose - - amazon.com?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Also, you may have a left handed screw there. It’s that way on an old Canon I took apart. Look carefully or ask someone who’s done this before proceeding.
Never seen this before, good option.

Yes, I do think that is what happened. I had reviewed some videos and forum guides before proceeding, but really should have been following along as I had forgotten that this screw could have been reversed. I think I just applied force in the wrong direction and *snap*!

Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I've successfully removed a couple of smallish stripped / broken screws from vintage lenses using a Moody's extractor set, similar to this one:

Moody Tools 58-0670S 6-Piece Slot/Phil/Screw Extractor Combo Reversible Driver Set, Silver Aluminum Handles: Hand Tool Sets: amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific?tag=pentaxforums-20&

A little squirt of WD40 before-hand, and a few minutes to soak, might help loosen the remaining threaded piece...
Awesome, I hadn't seen these before. Good option. Good idea about using something to loosen it up. Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The "official" way to remove broken screws is to use a screw extractor. The other method is to drill out the screw with a bit of a smaller diameter on a drill press.

Search Results | Micro-Tools

JB Weld will not have enough torque strength for you to remove the screw. As noted above the screw might be reversed threaded.
I had only heard of the drill method before, the screw extractors seem like a really good route. Good to know about JB weld not having enough torque.

Thanks!
09-16-2019, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I’ve used screw extractors of every sort many times. The Vampliers beat them all every time. They have a concave set of teeth that really grab well. Unless there’s not any length of the shaft to grab, then I’d drill a hole and use the old fashioned extractor. You’ll need a left handed extractor though.
09-16-2019, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #7

If there is enough of the screw sticking out you use a cutting disk and a Dremel and cut a slot on the shaft to use a standard screw driver. Done this many a time.

09-16-2019, 09:03 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I’ve used screw extractors of every sort many times. The Vampliers beat them all every time. They have a concave set of teeth that really grab well. Unless there’s not any length of the shaft to grab, then I’d drill a hole and use the old fashioned extractor. You’ll need a left handed extractor though.
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If there is enough of the screw sticking out you use a cutting disk and a Dremel and cut a slot on the shaft to use a standard screw driver. Done this many a time.
It's too difficult to see in the second picture, but there is a little bit poking up. I would say at least 1mm, maybe not much more though. I'm not sure if the vampliers would have enough to grab in this case. I'll have to look into it again when I get home. Interesting idea about slotting it, there is a shallow remnant of a slot still in it, so maybe it wouldn't be much harder to just make that a little deeper with a dremel.
09-16-2019, 09:22 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was going to post some screw extractors but someone else beat me to it. Also as mentioned if you suspect reverse threading then you will need the reverse style extractors from normal.

I like the slot idea but worry that you may gouge or scratch the parts near that screw when you cut the slot.
09-16-2019, 09:52 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have no idea, but isn't the round thing with holes the one you have to remove? from your images the screw is not the one holding the other parts.
09-16-2019, 10:59 AM   #11
Pentaxian

It looks like enough material is protruding to take a file and carefully file flats on each side. It maybe enough to grab with the tools you have. I'd apply a touch of WD40 or similar to the threads and let it soak in before giving it a go.
09-16-2019, 11:34 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That screw is left hand thread and the ring underneath is also left hand thread.
09-16-2019, 11:46 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I was going to post some screw extractors but someone else beat me to it. Also as mentioned if you suspect reverse threading then you will need the reverse style extractors from normal.

I like the slot idea but worry that you may gouge or scratch the parts near that screw when you cut the slot.
Probably safer to do it with jewellers needle file Jewellery Files
09-16-2019, 11:59 AM   #14

Whoa whoa whoa, hey. The two times I've had to do this, I was successful pushing the thing out with a sharp pointed object, rotating it clockwise. It takes a while. I used the point from a circle master compass, and I think some sewing needles in a pin vise. Maybe drop a little lighter fluid into it.

There is plenty left there to get it out imo, even the tip of a small wire cutter could grip it enough to get it out if the cutter's well made at the tip. Just make sure to turn it clockwise.

Last edited by Ranchu; 09-16-2019 at 12:06 PM.
09-16-2019, 03:03 PM   #15

Also, as pentaxus indicates, you can get the top off without extracting the broken screw. Having it still in there will prevent you from putting the film counter back together right.