Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
09-16-2019, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
A little squirt of WD40 before-hand

Something like this might be better: Penetrating-Lubricating Oils

And whatever, use the teeniest/tiniest amount possible!

09-16-2019, 07:24 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote

I haven't tried the above Kroil but an auto repair forum turned me on to PB Blaster. Released a stuck spark plug where a couple other penetrating oils failed.

PB B’LASTER PENETRANT – Blastercorp

You can find it at Home Depot, Wally Mart and just about any auto parts/supply store.

I would just spray a tiny bit into a bottle or jar lid and apply with a tooth pick or needle.
09-17-2019, 05:19 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote

I've had some success using WD-40 (applied judiciously with a pin) on seized-up camera guts, haven't tried it on headless screws though.
09-17-2019, 06:52 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I love all the brainstorming, this is really helping - thanks everyone!

Just a small update. I didn't end up having a lot of time last night to work on it, but I did realize there was a lot less sticking up than I had thought and I couldn't get my needle nosed pliers to grip it. Because there's not a lot of space, I discarded my dremel idea and instead thought I could file a slot. That sort of worked, but not enough to really get leverage on it.

I got around it like others suggested and was able to get to the spot I needed to for the repair. I'll spend some time better planning the final repair process for this, as it will likely take equipment I don't currently have.

While I feel annoyed that I broke the camera in the first place, and then that while trying to repair it I broke it further, I am looking on the bright side and saying it's been fun to take it apart and learn a bit more about how these cameras work under the hood. That's what keeps me sane, at least :P

09-17-2019, 10:44 AM   #20

Try the needle. Use a magnifying glass. Try not to destroy the camera, there's no bright side.

---------- Post added 09-17-19 at 11:58 AM ----------

It must be nice to know you should have done that to begin with, so you wouldn't be in this situation.

Last edited by Ranchu; 09-17-2019 at 10:53 AM.
09-20-2019, 09:44 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Re-install the frame counter wheel and put a small dab of Shoe Goo in-lieu of the screw head. Press with your thumb and let it cure.
That's what I did with my Spotmatic.

Last edited by Helios 1984; 09-20-2019 at 09:56 PM.
10-03-2019, 09:22 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Helios 1984 Quote
Re-install the frame counter wheel and put a small dab of Shoe Goo in-lieu of the screw head. Press with your thumb and let it cure.
That's what I did with my Spotmatic.
I really like this idea, as it just needs to sit there and keep the counter wheel from flying off.

I am encountering other issues now that have delayed putting it all back together. I may even start a new thread if I can't figure out the issue myself. My shutter button was jammed by some epoxy I was using for a custom grip getting in the wrong spot, but after clearing that up my film advance level is stuck in place and won't advance. I wonder if I jammed it somehow when I was fighting with the shutter, or if some epoxy got caught in a gear somewhere that I don't see.

The adventure continues

Thanks again for all the help everyone. It's cool to see how much experience everyone has and how active the film community is still!

10-05-2019, 11:49 AM   #23

Good luck on that. All of the suggestions seem good.

Sometimes carefully applying a little heat to a screw will help, in your case a small soldering iron could be used by touching the area around the screw. Remember that metal expands when heated therefore carefully applying a little heat around the screw might help. I have even placed items in the freezer to create a temperature difference and that is all that you want to do is create a temperature difference so essentially you want to warm the outside area. I have also used an exacto knife on the edge of a screw and lightly tapping it to get it to rotate. I would break or grind the tip of the blade off sometimes if needed. You might break the blade, but it might be enough to work.
10-08-2019, 01:46 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The real solution is something called a slot cutting file. If you need a set screw, you cut the head off and use the slot cutting file to make the slot for your screwdriver.

Thhttps://www.esslinger.com/screwhead-file-with-tang-makes-slot-in-top-of-screws-swiss-vallorbe/

Probably not the economical solution you were looking for.