Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2019, 10:33 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dimxatzis Quote
Hi once again!! I found an Lx at 550euro with a lens 40-80mm f2.8, 2 focusing screens and FA1,FB1,FC1, FD1 viewfinders.....and an LX with 50mm f1.4 at 410. Is it worth the extra money for the viewfinders??? The second one is a little bit in a better shape than the first one. Thanks!!
If you ask me, I'd get them all . . .

---------- Post added 09-25-19 at 12:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Good choice, you can easily find the viewfinders later on. I did the same and recently found some NOS LX viewfinders & focusing screens at a local camera store and snapped them all up.

Phil.
Which finders and how much for NOS - boxes and docs too?

09-25-2019, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Thanks guys! I will go for the low price and in time I will buy viewfinders. The camera is unmarked. Not even a scratch.
Just a word of caution. When it comes to old cameras, 'unmarked' often means 'unused', which can be problematic. If the LX has been a shelf queen for a few decades it will almost certainly need a CLA.
09-25-2019, 03:50 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Which finders and how much for NOS - boxes and docs too?
I got the FB-1/FC-1/FD-1 set, with box & manual, but no foam inserts for $115.00 CDN ($85USD)
I got the SC-21/SD-21/SA/21 screens for $10.00 CDN ($7.25USD) each. They all have the box/manual/case/tweezers.

Phil.
09-25-2019, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

I got the FB-1/FC-1/FD-1 set, with box & manual, but no foam inserts for $115.00 CDN ($85USD)
I got the SC-21/SD-21/SA/21 screens for $10.00 CDN ($7.25USD) each. They all have the box/manual/case/tweezers.

Phil.
That's a heck of a deal! Certainly a deal you won't find eveyday - or even every other day . . .

I managed to get my viewfinders a deal at a time but I am sure I paid much more then you did but glad I have them now.

However, I did stumble on to a local CL listing of a guy practically giving away a box of Minolta stuff. In the very poor picture, I spotted what I hoped was a viewfinder. It was not only a viewfinder but to my delight it came with a couple of others too.

They don't make them new so coming across these treasures bring me joy!

Last edited by LesDMess; 09-25-2019 at 04:16 PM.
09-25-2019, 05:28 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
That's a heck of a deal! Certainly a deal you won't find eveyday - or even every other day . . .

I managed to get my viewfinders a deal at a time but I am sure I paid much more then you did but glad I have them now.

However, I did stumble on to a local CL listing of a guy practically giving away a box of Minolta stuff. In the very poor picture, I spotted what I hoped was a viewfinder. It was not only a viewfinder but to my delight it came with a couple of others too.

They don't make them new so coming across these treasures bring me joy!
Nice collection! I see you have the LX data-back, the store also had one of them boxed which I did not buy. (Forgot the price)

Phil.
09-26-2019, 12:48 PM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Just a word of caution. When it comes to old cameras, 'unmarked' often means 'unused', which can be problematic. If the LX has been a shelf queen for a few decades it will almost certainly need a CLA.
I hope not!!! The guy told me that check it twice and it is fully functional! I hope again that he is not liar.

---------- Post added 09-26-19 at 12:51 PM ----------

Phil.

I hope to find a similar package !!
10-08-2019, 04:35 AM   #22

Original Poster
Hi everybody. Eventually I got my LX. Its fully functional thanks God!! I find out that is an early model. Can anyone tell me what are the differences between early and late model in terms of quality and functions?? Also, I want some recommendations about focusing screen to choose. Thanks a lot!!

10-08-2019, 06:15 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The K-mount page says:

QuoteQuote:
During its long production rung, the Pentax LX was updated at least three times. The latest camera revision has three visible differences compared to the earliest: there are two white points missing on the front of the first shutter curtain; pressing the button that releases the viewfinder causes the light meter to turn on, and the shutter-lock switch features a new design. Several attempts to gather information about camera serial numbers and design variations have failed due to inconclusive data.
Their specs also show the later version had a maximum ISO of 3200 whereas the earlier one had a maximum of 1600.

As to screens, it really is a personal preference. They are all listed here. I just use the standard SC21, and sometimes the SG20 when I am using the shift lens.

K.
10-09-2019, 02:48 AM   #24

Original Poster
Hi! Thanks for your response! Mine don't have the shutter button lock like the late version but when I remove the viewfinder the light meter still works!
10-09-2019, 03:06 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Hi! Thanks for your response! Mine don't have the shutter button lock like the late version but when I remove the viewfinder the light meter still works!
You can use the camera quite happily without a viewfinder, just like a TLR. The focusing screen is a bit small, however! The FF-1 viewfinder is essentially just a hood. I have one (for completeness, I bought the whole set over time) but it isn't really very useful. If I want a TLR-like experience I use... err... a TLR...!

K.
10-09-2019, 05:46 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice collection! I see you have the LX data-back, the store also had one of them boxed which I did not buy. (Forgot the price)

Phil.

I have the rare Dial Data back. Think I have the box for it somewhere too...
10-09-2019, 11:05 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I have the dial data back and a whole boxful of the other ones (data backs with clocks and write-on thingies) I have been meaning to sell...
10-09-2019, 04:23 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Unlike it's counterparts, the LX is fully functional even with the prism removed.

10-09-2019, 04:31 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I liked the LX and the MX, but found that they're just a tad too small for my taste. My long time fave was the K2, but I just got a K2dmd which has a few more bells and whistles. I just wish the K2 and it's variants could fit a grip (besides the motor drive grip) like an LX can! Enjoy the new camera!
10-09-2019, 10:47 PM   #30
Pentaxian

My first SLR was an ME Super so the K2 seems large to me. Luckily we have plenty of choice these days.