Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
09-20-2019, 08:32 AM   #1

Pentax LX

Hi!! I am considering to buy a Pentax LX. But... I find out that you can't use timer and mirror lock up at the same time. So I have a question. Make a big difference the shutter release by the hand and by the timer in terms of camera movement. I ask that because the mirror lock up it doesn't help if by pushing the release button move the camera.

09-20-2019, 08:48 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Welcome aboard!
I've used my LX a number of years now - and also have a few other cameras with MLU, and have not encountered a shooting situation requiring MLU and timer together. All my MLU activity requires the camera to be on a tripod so tripping the shutter does not shake the camera. However, if needed, i can use a remote trigger on the LX.
09-20-2019, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dimxatzis Quote
Hi!! I am considering to buy a Pentax LX. But... I find out that you can't use timer and mirror lock up at the same time. So I have a question. Make a big difference the shutter release by the hand and by the timer in terms of camera movement. I ask that because the mirror lock up it doesn't help if by pushing the release button move the camera.
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Welcome aboard!
I've used my LX a number of years now - and also have a few other cameras with MLU, and have not encountered a shooting situation requiring MLU and timer together. All my MLU activity requires the camera to be on a tripod so tripping the shutter does not shake the camera. However, if needed, i can use a remote trigger on the LX.
The LX shutter button has a screw in cable release socket, which is an easy to find solution. The Remote Trigger linked left is harder to find.

Edited to provide more complete info after reading following posts.

Last edited by monochrome; 09-20-2019 at 09:14 AM.
09-20-2019, 09:05 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I ask that because the mirror lock up it doesn't help if by pushing the release button move the camera.
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

You use either a mechanical cable release or the remote trigger device after locking the mirror up.

Steve

09-20-2019, 12:08 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello,

Welcome! To me the cable release is a must have accessory. It just feels right

Thanks,
Ismael
09-20-2019, 03:25 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
Thank you all guys!!! Very helpfull ! So I am going for LX!!
09-20-2019, 05:17 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you all guys!!! Very helpfull ! So I am going for LX!!
You’re going to love the camera!

09-21-2019, 01:38 AM   #8

Original Poster
I was between LX and Nikon f3 ( don't throw me out of the forum) but I think I go for lx. Also, can you suggest me a remote control shutter release?? Thanks
09-21-2019, 03:08 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello,

I have more than one in different lengths. I recently bought this one on eBay for less than $4.

(Picture from ebay)

Thanks,

Last edited by ismaelg; 09-21-2019 at 10:36 AM.
09-21-2019, 10:11 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I was between LX and Nikon f3 ( don't throw me out of the forum) but I think I go for lx. Also, can you suggest me a remote control shutter release?? Thanks
We won't hold it against you as some of us do have others too. For me it's a good thing as it really gives me a much better appreciation of just how great the LX really is . . .

Previously I also said remote when in fact I really meant the release shutter cable as exhibited by ismaelg
09-25-2019, 01:49 AM   #11

Original Poster
Hi once again!! I found an Lx at 550euro with a lens 40-80mm f2.8, 2 focusing screens and FA1,FB1,FC1, FD1 viewfinders.....and an LX with 50mm f1.4 at 410. Is it worth the extra money for the viewfinders??? The second one is a little bit in a better shape than the first one. Thanks!!
09-25-2019, 05:06 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Hi once again!! I found an Lx at 550euro with a lens 40-80mm f2.8, 2 focusing screens and FA1,FB1,FC1, FD1 viewfinders.....and an LX with 50mm f1.4 at 410. Is it worth the extra money for the viewfinders??? The second one is a little bit in a better shape than the first one. Thanks!!
Welcome. I also have an LX and it is my favourite 35mm camera.

In my experience the viewfinders are not that easy to find and can be expensive bought separately. So if they are something you are interested in perhaps the more expensive option is worth looking into.
However if it was me, I'm not really that interested in trying the different viewfinders so I'd go for the cheaper, better condition camera with the 50/1.4.

Also as you have probably read the LXs can be prone to the "sticky mirror" problem, so please test out whichever option you go with first if possible. (read up on the problem but basically the mirror will be slow to move and there may be focus issues in the viewfinder at infinity). Also a camera that has been serviced fairly recently is a plus.
Have fun

---------- Post added 09-25-19 at 08:08 PM ----------

Also check this out for info on the finders
Pentax LX - Full Info on Its Interchangeable Viewfinders
09-25-2019, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

For a camera like the LX, where repairs are costly and tricky, I would prioritise condition. A LX in good working condition with a good 50/f1.4 is all you need really
09-25-2019, 06:41 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks guys! I will go for the low price and in time I will buy viewfinders. The camera is unmarked. Not even a scratch.
09-25-2019, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks guys! I will go for the low price and in time I will buy viewfinders. The camera is unmarked. Not even a scratch.
Good choice, you can easily find the viewfinders later on. I did the same and recently found some NOS LX viewfinders & focusing screens at a local camera store and snapped them all up.

Phil.