Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2008, 10:56 PM   #1
Forum Member

Help! Perhaps a really stupid question.

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to photography and even newer to film cameras. I got a ME super that I really like using. But I seem to be having a problem with it.

I'm using it currently with a M 50 and a M 28. Both of those lenses work fine with my K100D, but on the film camera, when i twist the aperture ring, nothing happens. I look through the lens and the aperture hasn't changed size. I get the feeling I've been doing nothing much shooting at wide open. Is it supposed to be this way and the aperture changes when I press the shutter?

Thanks!
Al

10-13-2008, 11:02 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nothing wrong, the MESuper does not have Depth of field preview as far as i rememebr.
You'll see through the lens as wide open all the time, but the camera will close the aperture when you shoot.

You can try as follows:
- Set f number to 16 or 22
- Set speed to 1s
- Looking at the lens trigger the shutter and the blades of the diaphragm should close.
10-13-2008, 11:10 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ahhh!

Thanks so much for the help. That did ease my mind and I feel like I can really go out there and take pics again haha.

Question though, how would i know if I'm over or under exposing if the metering is always according to wide open? Is it one of those things where you kinda develop a feel?
10-14-2008, 12:29 AM   #4

The camera will automatically calculate the light difference from wide open to your set aperture and set the time accordingly. No need to worry about it.

Of course, you still need a feel for when the light meter is going to be wrong.

10-14-2008, 01:02 AM   #5
Inactive Account

The K mount is an auto stopdown mount. The protruding lever on the lens mount is held open by a corresponding lever in the camera's mount. Basically, when the shutter's fired, the camera let's that protruding lever go, letting the lens lever spring open, stopping down the lens.

Now, no, the ME Super doesn't require dead-reckoning metering. Like most modern lens mounts, the aperture setting of the lens is conveyed to the camera. (Jeez, what kinda camera did you think it was - not having open-aperture metering indeed!)

This is done with the other lever on the lens - the recessed one. If you look at the back of the lens, you'll notice that the this lever moves when you change the aperture. This interfaces with another lever on the camera's mount, which moves with the lens's recessed lever. This tells the camera - and, more importantly, the meter - what aperture the lens is set at. The meter then compensates for it.

Remember, an f-stop is an f-stop is an f-stop: with lenses of varying focal lengths and types set at the same aperture, the amount of light reaching the meter and the film is always the same. A 1200mm reflex lens at f11 transmits the same amount of light as a 16mm fisheye set at f11 which transmits the same amount of light as a 50mm lens set at f11 as a 100mm macro set at f11...well, you get the idea.

Lenses from the A, F, and FA series have the ability to transmit aperture info to the camera via a electrical contacts in the lens's mount. This also works the other way, too - cameras from the A, P, SF, Z/PZ, MZ/ZX, *ist and the digis can tell those lenses what aperture to use (well, not really - they just set the lens at its minimum aperture and then stop it when it reaches the desired f stop.)

The *ist series and later are only able to work with purely manual lenses by means of stop-down metering - they lack the lever on the lens mount that meshes with the recessed lever on the lens.

I know I'm being longwinded, and I apologise if I come across as condescending, but I think people should know the why and how as well as the yes and no.
10-14-2008, 02:04 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ah I see.

I appreciate all your help, especially the comprehensive answer. It really does help a lot and I was looking around the mechanics of the lens and the camera. I think I figured out what is wrong.

On my camera, there appears to be a disconnect between the levers that transmit the aperture information to the camera. Only if I mount the lens on fully closed, will the two levers work together. However, as soon as I change to a wider aperture, I will not be able to close it again without losing aperture information in the camera. I'm not sure if this is coherent. I'm not sure what's wrong either. Perhaps I will drop by the camera repair place around here.

Once again, thank you very much for your answers.

Al
10-14-2008, 02:41 AM   #7
Inactive Account

They should be fine either way.

I've noticed, though, with ME's/ME Supers, the brass ring - to which the lever which interfaces with the aperture indicating lever is attached - tends to get jammed really easily with grit, sand, whatever, and the lever on the camera's mount may bend or otherwise show signs of metal fatigue around it. It should be perpendicular to the lens mount.

If not, you can try mounting the lens set to an aperture that works normally, and opening and closing the aperture.
10-14-2008, 03:49 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Have you read the manual?
there is a good copy in pentax-manuals.com
In the MESuper there are lights on the viewfinder that tell you what speed youa re using and which one the camera tells you is correct.
If you put the camera in the Auto setting it will determine the speed for you.

I do not understand what you are saying but you can test quite easiyl:
- Point the camera to a certain scene (outdoors could be better)
- Set the camera in auto
- Looking thorugh the viewfinder half press the shutter and you'll see a certain number lighting up
- Now open/close the lens and every 2 clicks the number should go up/down by 1

QuoteOriginally posted by aruxaru Quote
Ah I see.

I appreciate all your help, especially the comprehensive answer. It really does help a lot and I was looking around the mechanics of the lens and the camera. I think I figured out what is wrong.

On my camera, there appears to be a disconnect between the levers that transmit the aperture information to the camera. Only if I mount the lens on fully closed, will the two levers work together. However, as soon as I change to a wider aperture, I will not be able to close it again without losing aperture information in the camera. I'm not sure if this is coherent. I'm not sure what's wrong either. Perhaps I will drop by the camera repair place around here.

Once again, thank you very much for your answers.

Al

10-14-2008, 06:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
The K mount is an auto stopdown mount. The protruding lever on the lens mount is held open by a corresponding lever in the camera's mount. Basically, when the shutter's fired, the camera let's that protruding lever go, letting the lens lever spring open, stopping down the lens.

Now, no, the ME Super doesn't require dead-reckoning metering. Like most modern lens mounts, the aperture setting of the lens is conveyed to the camera. (Jeez, what kinda camera did you think it was - not having open-aperture metering indeed!)

This is done with the other lever on the lens - the recessed one. If you look at the back of the lens, you'll notice that the this lever moves when you change the aperture. This interfaces with another lever on the camera's mount, which moves with the lens's recessed lever. This tells the camera - and, more importantly, the meter - what aperture the lens is set at. The meter then compensates for it.

Remember, an f-stop is an f-stop is an f-stop: with lenses of varying focal lengths and types set at the same aperture, the amount of light reaching the meter and the film is always the same. A 1200mm reflex lens at f11 transmits the same amount of light as a 16mm fisheye set at f11 which transmits the same amount of light as a 50mm lens set at f11 as a 100mm macro set at f11...well, you get the idea.

Lenses from the A, F, and FA series have the ability to transmit aperture info to the camera via a electrical contacts in the lens's mount. This also works the other way, too - cameras from the A, P, SF, Z/PZ, MZ/ZX, *ist and the digis can tell those lenses what aperture to use (well, not really - they just set the lens at its minimum aperture and then stop it when it reaches the desired f stop.)

The *ist series and later are only able to work with purely manual lenses by means of stop-down metering - they lack the lever on the lens mount that meshes with the recessed lever on the lens.

I know I'm being longwinded, and I apologise if I come across as condescending, but I think people should know the why and how as well as the yes and no.
I knew all of this already, but I have to say you've made a great job in explaining the principle.
10-14-2008, 07:53 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Just for the record there's no such thing a stupid question.

Enjoy your cameras.
10-14-2008, 12:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Just for the record there's no such thing a stupid question.

Enjoy your cameras.
Why is there no such thing as a stupid question?

10-14-2008, 12:44 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Why is there no such thing as a stupid question?

The question is not stupid if you don't know the answer. Many answers (including mine at times) can, on the other hand, be really stupid.
10-14-2008, 09:29 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies! Such a great bunch you Pentaxians are =D

As for my camera. If i mount it at the smallest aperture (f/22), I can adjust the aperture wider and the information registers on the camera. But once I get to max aperture, if I wanna close it back down, the information doesn't register. I can just unmount, narrow all the f/22, mount and then widen up again each time. But it can get a little tedious. That technically shouldn't happen right?
10-14-2008, 09:58 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Nope, it shouldn't.
10-14-2008, 10:50 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The question is not stupid if you don't know the answer. Many answers (including mine at times) can, on the other hand, be really stupid.
My question was actually ment to be a "stupid question"

I hope internet 2.0 works better with my sense of humor.

But, I do agree with your answer.