Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2019, 08:08 AM - 5 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Black Pentax ME Super find and repair

Found this little nice camera at a fleamarket, the owner said it is dead, lightmeter didn't work and it didn't wind..
sounds familiar, right? well, I took it nonetheless for 15 bucks, thats a non brainer. I thought I could use it for part as I already have a working chrome ME super, I planned to switch top and bottom cover from that black one with my chrome ones..

at home I saw the reason why the lightmeter 'was dead'..the mirror was stuck in the upward position. Also the winder didn't catch.
I didn't want to damage it, so I didin't force the mirror to come down, I had the feel that it was a good camera, not dead.

instead I screw off the bottom plate and watched the winding mechanism closely. The is a metal tounge that, when I carefully forced back, the cycle of the winding finally completed, the shutter popped up, and the mirror came down. So, it worked actually!

The lightmeter worked without a problem, and the screen was in top condition, better than on my chrome ME Super, surprise!
Ok, one problem solved. I noticed after the 10th time I used the winder it actually did crank and I was able to release the shutter.
I just went on and cranked and cranked, carefully and slowly, but firmly, at least 100 times..

then it worked after every 5th time..then every second time..then every time..after I slowly cranked it half way, then to the end.

now it works every time.
I shot a test roll yesterday, but AFTER 36 shots I realized the little bottom rewind knob down under was IN! no wonder.
so almost 30 double exposures!! I just forgot after the assembly to reattach the little rewind knob properly..now it's fine.

I attached a multi exposure .. very interesting abstract art..

I love this camera..I have a MX,too, but the manual buttons on the super are much better than the shutter time dial, I think I will sell my MX..

so, if you have the same problem, take your time, and try it..maybe it work for your ME super, too..

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-6000  Photo 

Last edited by ElectricEye; 09-28-2019 at 08:18 AM.
09-28-2019, 01:25 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have four working ME Supers. I'm very fond of them. My first SLR was an ME Super but sadly that one is dead.
09-29-2019, 06:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got mine working too.
The mirror was locked up, but took a chance on it.

Without being an expert, personally i think it had seized up from inactivity.
Bought from a camera fair as "junk".

Got it back home and teased the mirror down by hand, many clicks later it was still staying in the up position.
I then started to gently move the curtain by hand with the film door open.
Many more later it was firing automatically when cocked.
I fired off a load of shots in bulb mode.
Then put a lens on try try different shutter speeds.
It finally started working like expected.
But 1 in 10 shots would still fire automatically without pressing the shutter.

I came back to it a few days later and began firing shots off again.
Seems like all is good now.

Probably spent an hour total with it.

Haven't put a film through it yet because it needs new seals.