Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-29-2019, 11:47 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Unable to Rewind - PZ-1P

Third film through my Z-1P and I can't get it to rewind. LCD has "37" flashing at me and nothing in the viewfinder. New battery arrived today, doesn't help.

Next thought is to open camera back in a dark bag and then close it again to try and make it do - something!!!

Any other ideas?

09-29-2019, 12:10 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by limestonecowboy Quote
Third film through my Z-1P and I can't get it to rewind. LCD has "37" flashing at me and nothing in the viewfinder. New battery arrived today, doesn't help.

Next thought is to open camera back in a dark bag and then close it again to try and make it do - something!!!

Any other ideas?
That's probably all you can do. While you have the back open, I would try pulling a short length of film from the take-up assembly on the right and see if it will feed. It may be hung up somehow and if it won't feed, closing the back and trying again probably won't work. It may be that you'll have to unsnag the take-up in the dark and then manually wind that film into the cartridge by turning the spool crank on the end of the cartridge (Clockwise from top).

It could be that the auto-rewind mechanism has jammed or gone bad, in which case a repair would be needed and it might be just as easy to try to find a used PZ-1p on the internet. If it's a take-up jam and you can free it, you can save your shot on that roll, and you'll be back in business.

Addenda: Just noticed you mentioned nothing in the VF. That's not good meaning the mirror is latched in the up position. That can happen when a battery dies mid-exposure. It happened to me once but that was so long ago, I can't remember how I fixed it. First, needs a new battery, then try taking another shot. I might have gone through the front (lens removed) and moved the mirror manually but some risk in that. I remember that once the mirror was cleared (and a new battery), no harm done and the camera went back to working normally and has been for years.

Last edited by Bob 256; 09-29-2019 at 12:21 PM.
09-29-2019, 12:34 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Any other ideas?
What happened with film 1 and 2 ?
09-29-2019, 12:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
What happened with film 1 and 2 ?
All good on first two films.

---------- Post added 09-29-19 at 01:28 PM ----------

All good on first two films.
Used a sleeping bag to unload the film (curse those 36 shot films). Restarted camera and all working again, do I dare put another film in (24 shot)?

09-29-2019, 02:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Have you tried forcing film rewind (page 21 of the manual)?
09-29-2019, 03:20 PM   #6
Pentaxian

What kind of film was it?

I've had some film get stuck in my MZ-S -- it wouldn't rewind, and I had to take it out and wind it back myself. It seemed to be jammed in the cartridge and/or exactly the right length to get the camera stuck between winding it more and not being able to wind it any more. That was a few years ago, though.
09-29-2019, 04:43 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the camera is working fine now and you couldn't see through the viewfinder when it failed, it probably was a stuck mirror and the "banging around" in the sleeping bag may have freed it and with a new battery, you're good to go. It shouldn't be an issue again unless your battery gets low and same thing happens. A locked up mirror doesn't happen every time - just a coincidence when the battery is low to a certain point and you fire the shutter with the PZ-1p.

You should be ok now to try another roll of film - just look at the battery indicator from time to time and replace the battery if the indicator shows it failing. Don't wait for the battery to give out with use.

Last edited by Bob 256; 09-29-2019 at 09:18 PM.
09-30-2019, 06:07 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Any other ideas?
Probably the surest way to save your exposed film is to put the camera in a changing bag, open the back and manually spool the film back inside the cassette. Then deal with getting the camera to work again. You might have to sacrifice an unexposed film to test with.
09-30-2019, 11:14 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I managed to recover the film, I'll see if it develops ok. The mirror had not locked up and the shutter was closed. I didn't have a low battery warning either. I'll clean all the contacts that i can see before loading another (24 shot) film
09-30-2019, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

I managed to recover the film, I'll see if it develops ok. The mirror had not locked up and the shutter was closed. I didn't have a low battery warning either. I'll clean all the contacts that i can see before loading another (24 shot) film
I had the same thing happen to me a year ago with an autowind body (a sigma sa-7), but I thought it had rewound so I opened the back in broad daylight.
09-30-2019, 01:29 PM   #11
Forum Member

Check that you do not have a custom function set to NOT rewind at the end of the roll.
10-01-2019, 01:31 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
No idea how to check that yet?
10-01-2019, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

I don't think you can stop it re-winding at the end of the roll, IIRC you could only specify whether to leave the leader out or not with a Pentax Function.
10-03-2019, 08:15 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
I don't think you can stop it re-winding at the end of the roll, IIRC you could only specify whether to leave the leader out or not with a Pentax Function.
CORRECTION: You can specify the rewind mode to prevent it from automatically rewinding, PF12 (pages 20, 21 & 90 of the manual). Selecting the leader in/out is PF11.

Link to manual: Pentax PZ-1 manual, user manual, free instruction manual, pdf manuals
10-05-2019, 07:09 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, I have a lot to learn about this camera. The user function list looks a bit daunting when first seen.