Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
10-10-2019, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

eBay prices for good condition Kodak Carousel projectors have risen considerably
since I last checked a decade ago. If that's any indication things are looking up.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 10-16-2019 at 12:38 PM.
10-10-2019, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #47
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
eBay prices for good condition Kodak Carousel projectors have risen considerably
since I last checked a decade ago. If that's any indication things are looking up.

Chris
Quite possibly, though there is also a market to convert those projectors for dSLR slide copying. (Don't tell my Carousal projector, it will upset her...)

Steve
10-10-2019, 12:56 PM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Some other long shelf life, one-shot developers include: HC 110 (can be used one-shot), D-23 and PMK Pyro. D-23 you mix yourself. It is only two chemicals. It's easier than mixing the DIY coffee developers.
Thanks! I'll have to give D-23 a shot.
10-10-2019, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

Chris
Local camera stores here always have a few in stock, if I ever need a new one. They were pretty reliable and only need the bulbs changed once in a blue moon. I have some spare bulbs in stock and also modified my Carousel with a better lens, so I have a spare lens as well.

Always loved that sound of the projector running in a dark room and the noise it made changing slides.....

Phil.

10-10-2019, 01:32 PM   #50

Original Poster
Really? For sheet film I'm only finding Fuji Provia 100F and Velvia 100/50.

well, yep, that's basically it. For 35mm you additionally have Ektachrome 100. Well to be honest those are the films I'd shoot with anyway even if others were available, but I am not paying 30 euros for a developed (not scanned) film of 36 shots. I think it is too expensive for what it is.

Since I do love slide film I think I will be shooting expired films for the time being. I found a pretty large lot of fridge stored Agfa RSX II 50, and Agfa Precisa 200 and I am thinking of buying some.
10-10-2019, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerbermiester Quote
Thanks! I'll have to give D-23 a shot.
Development times are really close if not the same as D-76 at equivalent temperature and dilution. You can purchase Sodium Sulfite and Metol at the formulary and other places (eg freestylephoto.biz)

To mix 1000ml working solution you would heat 500ml of water ( I use distilled) up to about 120F/50C, dissolve the Metol first and then the Sodium Sulfite. Then add near ice cube cold water to bring the temperture down to 70F/21C. I even freeze some distilled ice cubes and put one in first, let it melt and then add the remaining cold water. You may need to invest into an accurate weighing scale good to at least 0.1 gram of mass. Use the 1:1 dilution immediately after mixing.

Code:
                        1000ML D-23 Mixing Ratio

INGREDIENT FULL STRENGTH 1:1 DILUTION
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Metol 7.5g 3.75g
Sodium Sulfite 100g 50g

Last edited by tuco; 10-10-2019 at 01:46 PM.
10-10-2019, 02:12 PM - 3 Likes   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pureanalog Quote
well, yep, that's basically it. For 35mm you additionally have Ektachrome 100. Well to be honest those are the films I'd shoot with anyway even if others were available, but I am not paying 30 euros for a developed (not scanned) film of 36 shots. I think it is too expensive for what it is.

Since I do love slide film I think I will be shooting expired films for the time being. I found a pretty large lot of fridge stored Agfa RSX II 50, and Agfa Precisa 200 and I am thinking of buying some.
Well, that's not much of a choice. Provia has the Fuji cool tone colors and Velvia has more the super saturated fantasy colors. And I think sheet film is the canary in the mine because slide film is best viewed as a first generation image as apposed to a 3rd or 2nd generation hanging on the wall. And 4x5 and 8x10 is something you can easily see on a light table.

EDIT Ideally, I'd like choices like in the negative film too. Some cool-tone and earth-tone colors as shown here.

Pro 400H

Portra 400

Last edited by tuco; 10-10-2019 at 02:27 PM.
10-10-2019, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Always loved that sound of the projector running in a dark room and the noise it made changing slides.....
Just thinking of this brings back some great family memories - thanks
10-11-2019, 01:22 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Development times are really close if not the same as D-76 at equivalent temperature and dilution. You can purchase Sodium Sulfite and Metol at the formulary and other places (eg freestylephoto.biz)
Thanks a lot. Good tip for freestyle, the prices for metol in Canada are awful! It seems that all I could get was from chemical supply retailers.

Next time I make a film run to Blaine I'll have a nice collection going. Thanks again.
10-11-2019, 11:35 AM   #55
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Next time I make a film run to Blaine I'll have a nice collection going. Thanks again.
Is film cheaper in Blaine?

Steve
10-11-2019, 11:40 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think it is pretty much goes to its end, unless there will be a feature that cannot be done in digital.
10-11-2019, 12:38 PM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Is film cheaper in Blaine?

Steve
It's cheaper from US retailers online by more than half. I ship it to Blaine since it's a 45 minute drive from where I live in Canada. Plus, if its made in USA, its tax free. At least for now that is; the new NAFTA deal hasn't been ratified by the US house of representatives after they walked away from the negotiating table last June. I'm still unsure why it happened that way, since the new deal gives the US more access to Canadian dairy and Auto-manufacturing markets, the two things they were fighting for.

Long story short, now's the time to buy Kodak Tmax 100 at $80 US tax-free for a bulk roll rather than $240 Cad plus 12% tax, before things go south!
10-11-2019, 02:05 PM   #58
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Long story short, now's the time to buy Kodak Tmax 100 at $80 US tax-free for a bulk roll rather than $240 Cad plus 12% tax, before things go south!
I guess so! Good to have access to a postal address in Blaine!

Steve

(...has at least one friend who keeps a non-USPS postal box address on the Oregon side of the river just to escape taxes...)
10-12-2019, 09:13 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's cheaper from US retailers online by more than half. I ship it to Blaine since it's a 45 minute drive from where I live in Canada. Plus, if its made in USA, its tax free. At least for now that is; the new NAFTA deal hasn't been ratified by the US house of representatives after they walked away from the negotiating table last June. I'm still unsure why it happened that way, since the new deal gives the US more access to Canadian dairy and Auto-manufacturing markets, the two things they were fighting for.

I used to hsve stuff shipped to Blaine was well. B&H Photo now has free shipping to Canada if you spend over $99USD, so I go with that option if I want to buy from them.

However I have a photo/film store a block from where I live and they carry everything, so I'll pay the higher prices for convenience. (They ado have a huge used selection of Pentax gear. medium format as well)

Phil.
10-12-2019, 09:20 AM   #60

I switched from shooting slides to digital, but I do miss some of the films with their special character, even if I know you can do a lot in post, but that is not quite the same.
And looking at CameraRescue and others plus the resurgence of Kodak Ektachrome and a lot of enthusiasts looking at film again, there might be some life left in slide films yet.