Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
02-24-2016, 01:41 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have both a ZX-M and a ZX-5 with the mirror lock bad gear.
Anyone out there still willing to tackle this repair/fix for me?
Thanks.

03-14-2016, 04:05 PM - 2 Likes   #92
Veteran Member

I just ordered the gears, that are still available from HERE:

Mikroantriebe KK Produkcja Zahnrad, Schnecken und Car System Onlineshop*-*Zahnrad / Trieb M0.25 / 13 Zähne

If you order you must change the drill/hole diameter to 1.5 mm
Change the width to 2.0 mm
and the material to brass

with shipping, for three of these gears, the cost was $20.93 USD

On the 4th page of this thread is the procedure that works for replacing just the gear, without the complete removal of the motor.

I will report back if/when I manage the repair on my ZX-M and ZX-5

Eric would not repair my ZX-M as he cannot get the correct pentax parts. I wonder if he might be willing to order these gears and just replace the gears.
06-18-2016, 04:30 PM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 45 Mike Quote

Mikroantriebe KK Produkcja Zahnrad, Schnecken und Car System Onlineshop-Zahnrad / Trieb M0.25 / 13 Zähne

On the 4th page of this thread is the procedure that works for replacing just the gear, without the complete removal of the motor.

Eric would not repair my ZX-M as he cannot get the correct pentax parts. I wonder if he might be willing to order these gears and just replace the gears.
nice find
06-19-2016, 12:44 AM   #94
Pentaxian

One of my MZ-5Ns just suffered the same fate

I've done some web searching and found the following resources. I will order a few gears and attempt the repair myself at some point. It's scary to see in these photos how much cheap plastic there is in these cameras. It's a wonder they last as long as they do.

https://simonhawketts.com/2016/04/16/replacing-the-mirror-return-motor-in-a-pentax-mz-5n/

ipernity: Pentax zx/mz mirror motor repair by 5cent

kkpmo - Zahnrad / Trieb M0.25 / 13 Zähne

---------- Post added 19-06-16 at 09:46 AM ----------

Mikroantriebe KK Produkcja Zahnrad, Schnecken und Car System Onlineshop-Zahnrad / Trieb M0.25 / 13 Zähne

The other pages I found state they ordered the plastic replacements in order to make sure they're fully compatible. I'm not sure why, if the specs are otherwise identical. Obviously brass is more durable.

11-22-2016, 08:57 PM   #95

QuoteOriginally posted by wswong2015 Quote
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I was wondering if it is possible to just replace the ZX-7 nylon gear with a brass pinion gear without desoldering the boards? The replacement motor seems hard to find now, and I am not confident of my soldering skills.

i think CRM-114 did mention loosing of the gearbox, prying it open and slipping in the brass pinion. But he did this on a MZ-5 iirc. Has anyone tried on a ZX-7? Btw, is this just a press fit or is there a groove on the motor shaft that needs to be aligned with?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Hi,
I've tried CRM-114's method by disassembling a working Mz-10 to get its plastic pinion, then I try to put such in my working but stuck-up mirror Mz-3. It was worth a try though I failed. However, I think the method might work with me next time. Here are the lessons learned:

- I recommend the brass pinion instead of the plastic pinion or you'll have to be extra careful. This method require handling with the pinion by tool only. Picking/Sliding the tiny plastic pinion with a wrong picking force might leave unwanted marks on its teeth. I don't have the brass pinion to try but this should stand a chance better than the plastic made.
- the hard part begin when you insert the screwdriver to pry open the loosen gearbox, thereafter it's much much much better to do it right at the first try. You don't know what gear/screws might be weaken/loosen at times you keep force prying such metal holder. The same when you try to slip the pinion back in, try stay away from other plastic gears, you don't want to leave marked on their teeth.
- beware, there is a head-tail direction of the pinion. You can tell by the (not mine) picture here.

- take extra care of the flexible PCB copper ribbons. You might end up with working mirror but broken ribbon, that's even worse.
- MOST IMPORTANT be patience all the times
- have the right tool first and a headlight as the move around space is small.

I must say that CRM-114's method is a easy but require meticulous work. I don't have the courage to go through the Bob Bimon way. Sorry for my English, I'm not a native speaker.

Good luck,
N
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot A80  Photo 
03-25-2017, 10:13 AM   #96
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I've done some web searching and found the following resources. I will order a few gears and attempt the repair myself at some point. It's scary to see in these photos how much cheap plastic there is in these cameras. It's a wonder they last as long as they do.
Mike or Jonathan... did either of you have any success with your repairs?
03-25-2017, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Negative, I did order three brass gears last year, but have not managed to crack open the body and attempt the repair.

03-25-2017, 12:25 PM   #98
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eric Hendrickson might be willing to give it a try if the brass gear was sent along with the failing camera body.
I suspect most who buy ZX/MZ bodies consider them disposable and wouldn't want to spend $70 for service.

Chris
03-25-2017, 01:07 PM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Eric Hendrickson might be willing to give it a try if the brass gear was sent along with the failing camera body.
I suspect most who buy ZX/MZ bodies consider them disposable and wouldn't want to spend $70 for service.

Chris
I ordered a couple an hour ago. My MZ-3 is the black version with grip, so it's worth a bit more attention methinks. Sure wish these innards had a bit more of the previous decade's materials incorporated into the workmanship. They're otherwise fantastic machines.

---------- Post added 03-25-17 at 01:10 PM ----------

Negative, I did order three brass gears last year, but have not managed to crack open the body and attempt the repair.
By the way, thanks for posting that newer parts link, Mike.
Is "managed" synonymous with "bothered" in this case as it surely would be for me?
03-25-2017, 02:14 PM - 2 Likes   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BTW Eric also installed an MZ-M/ZX-M focusing screen in the MZ-3 I sent him.
It was a definite improvement for manual focus lenses. AF still worked fine.

Chris
03-25-2017, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #101
Veteran Member

I ordered a couple an hour ago. My MZ-3 is the black version with grip, so it's worth a bit more attention methinks. Sure wish these innards had a bit more of the previous decade's materials incorporated into the workmanship. They're otherwise fantastic machines.

---------- Post added 03-25-17 at 01:10 PM ----------

By the way, thanks for posting that newer parts link, Mike.
Is "managed" synonymous with "bothered" in this case as it surely would be for me?
yep, "bothered" is a fine way of looking at it.

I have been using the other plethora of bodies and lenses i own. :-)
03-26-2017, 12:12 AM   #102
Pentaxian

Ditto, I still haven't had the time to look at it yet.
03-26-2017, 11:12 AM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

Chris
If anyone can convince Eric to tackle the repair using the bass gear supplied by the customer, or perhaps he can order a few to have on hand, PLEASE let us know.
As I would happily pay $70 for the repair.
01-20-2019, 06:04 AM   #104
Pentaxian

Resurrection of an old thread ... but still a useful one.

I have just opened the bottom of a MZ-5n that I recently acquired to get an idea of the task involved. I have figured out where the motor is, etc. ... and it's a shame that it's so deep in the body. I removed the right-side of the front in order to access a screw which held the gear plate. I can move the mirror manually by hand spinning the gears next the the motor.

I hesitate a bit here ... has anyone recently done still successfully and are the brass gear motors still available? Cheers, J

01-21-2019, 01:55 AM - 1 Like   #105
Pentaxian

I took one of my 5Ns apart to repair the gear and was unable to put it back together again. They're extremely difficult to dis-assemble and I found it impossible to re-assemble, so it's not something I'd try again unless I had a lot of time available.

I got replacement brass gears from a guy in Poland.