Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2019, 02:49 AM - 1 Like   #106

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Resurrection of an old thread ... but still a useful one.

I have just opened the bottom of a MZ-5n that I recently acquired to get an idea of the task involved. I have figured out where the motor is, etc. ... and it's a shame that it's so deep in the body. I removed the right-side of the front in order to access a screw which held the gear plate. I can move the mirror manually by hand spinning the gears next the the motor.

I hesitate a bit here ... has anyone recently done still successfully and are the brass gear motors still available? Cheers, J
See post #52

QuoteOriginally posted by 45 Mike Quote
I just ordered the gears, that are still available from HERE:

Mikroantriebe KK Produkcja Zahnrad, Schnecken und Car System Onlineshop - Zahnrad / Trieb M0.25 / 13 Zähne

If you order you must change the drill/hole diameter to 1.5 mm
Change the width to 2.0 mm
and the material to brass

with shipping, for three of these gears, the cost was $20.93 USD

On the 4th page of this thread is the procedure that works for replacing just the gear, without the complete removal of the motor.

I will report back if/when I manage the repair on my ZX-M and ZX-5

Eric would not repair my ZX-M as he cannot get the correct pentax parts. I wonder if he might be willing to order these gears and just replace the gears.

01-21-2019, 03:38 AM   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
See post #52
Thanks !

I will check this out.
01-21-2019, 06:49 PM - 1 Like   #108
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Holy cow, look at all those plastic gears!

Chris
01-21-2019, 10:36 PM - 1 Like   #109

I suggest you get a pinion gear puller if you can find one that handles a 1.5mm shaft and can get close enough to the motor without removing it.

Premium Steel Universal Motor Pinion Gear Puller Remover for RC Motors Accessory | eBay

Shaft sizes are not listed for the above. I suggest contacting the seller. Otherwise it might do the trick.

03-18-2019, 12:35 PM   #110
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I suggest you get a pinion gear puller if you can find one that handles a 1.5mm shaft and can get close enough to the motor without removing it.

Premium Steel Universal Motor Pinion Gear Puller Remover for RC Motors Accessory | eBay

Shaft sizes are not listed for the above. I suggest contacting the seller. Otherwise it might do the trick.
I don't want to brutal, but unless you are very good at taking small complex things apart and putting them back together I would go find a different camera. If you are determined I have three of the Polish gears I can send you for just the postage. These cameras particularly hate sitting unused, so a mint one that has been sitting in a drawer for 20 years will get through anything between a couple of frames and half-a- dozen films because it packs up.

I've got a drawer full of the flippin' things.
07-15-2019, 06:28 PM   #111

QuoteOriginally posted by redbirdpete Quote
I don't want to brutal, but unless you are very good at taking small complex things apart and putting them back together I would go find a different camera. If you are determined I have three of the Polish gears I can send you for just the postage. These cameras particularly hate sitting unused, so a mint one that has been sitting in a drawer for 20 years will get through anything between a couple of frames and half-a- dozen films because it packs up.

I've got a drawer full of the flippin' things.
Hello,

My ZX-7 Mirror motor just died yesterday.
Please send me those gears if you still have it, and just let me know how much is the postage.

Thanks in advance,

Momo
01-28-2020, 01:58 AM   #112

It may be of interest to others struggling with this camera that the full service manual for the MZ-5 (which is very similar to the MZ-5n) is available for free from Electrotanya.com. Also, I found that the problem with a stuck mirror with my MZ-5n was not the motor but with the shutter switch. This would respond to the first light touch position but would not make contact when fully depressed. I opened the switch and found the problem was corrosion on the moving flexible contact. After cleaning the switch my mirror now works but the shutter curtains fail to open ! Incidentally the service manual says that the mirror motor should be tested on 1.5V but the motor is actually a 5V motor and will not work on 1.5v.

Incidentally, I had a similar problem with a Nikon F65 but with that camera the problem was that the lubricant inside the shutter switch had solidified into a jell making the switch inoperative.

Last edited by Geoffrey; 03-18-2020 at 12:36 AM. Reason: new information
10-04-2020, 12:51 AM   #113
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Adelaide, South Australia: Don't tell anyone how good it is, please.
Photos: Albums
I scored and Ebay MZ50, was after the lense. But it still has film in it, so I figure why not? I got some batteries for it, put them in, yep, lcd works, buttons appear to work. Cool.

I then chuck the batteries into my dads MZ50.... display lights up... but the mirror is up.. I can gently pull it down, but it wont lock down: I put a lens on it, it tries to focus etc... seems everything is ok, but the mirror:

Is this the dreaded mirror gear failure? Is there anything else I need to check to confim this? TIA
03-20-2022, 09:45 AM   #114

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Bimon Quote
[I think I had a problem when posting my previous reply (2 months after ther first one), that's why I post it again, in relationship with the testbench that helped me to validate the shutter mechanism, and the whole camera after final rebuilding.]

Hi Alan.

I DID IT !

Unbelievable, but after changing the motor, I remounted the whole camera without an error, thanks to your guidance.
It works, I'm still amazed to have done it at the first shot...
The shutter + mirror mechanisms resynchronized themselves when putting batteries inside.
Before loading a new film, I tested the shutter speeds on my 3$ testbench, as shown on attached pictures (2 lasers from toyguns + phototransistors + 1 battery + 1 switch + 1 microphone wire + jack + PC + Audacity).
Seems to be good.

Of course the last test will be done with the results with the film, I cross fingers.

Alan, let me say you that I appreciated a lot the help you gave me, and to be so patient with me.
I learnt a lot about photograph engineering (especially on shutter), and to be calm too, thanks to you.

Bob

PD : I needed to retest shutter speed because I made a mess dismantling accidentally the shutter mechanism box - a nightmare and a genious mechanism at the same time - ; thanks to Alan and of some litterature on internet I finally understood how shutter works, and built a cheap tesbench to calibrate curtains springs for the expected speeds.
If anybody needs help on it, he's welcome to ask me help on that topic.

Hi Bob!

I am new to this forum and I already read your "MEZ50 repair procedure issue3". It is very similar to the MZ5n I am working on. On page seven you gave the hint to not losen the two screws of the shutter mechanism. Unfortunately I did it before I found your advice. I would absolutely apreciate any tip to that topic.

The situation is as follows. The gear is already changed. If I put external power to the motor mirror and shutter do work seemingly properly.
As I put all parts together and batterys in I immediatly hear the typical shutter and mirror sound for exactly one time. Autofocus does work as expected but the shutter unfortunately does not do anything. No mechanical sound no beeping from a stuck motor or anything.

I would celebrate feedback
Appimatic
03-21-2022, 04:33 AM   #115
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Full service manual for the MZ/ZX7 which I think will be useful as well
Product Details | Pentax MZ-7 Service Manual | Pentax | Service Manuals | Learn Camera Repair
12-17-2023, 12:38 AM   #116

Photos: Gallery
Hi there,

Just wondering if you are able to do a repair on my MZ 5n with the same 'gear' problem?