Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
10-14-2019, 04:48 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
ME Super - How Much Do I Love Thee

My first Pentax SLR was the K1000 I got as a 21st present from my parents back in the late 70s. Still have it. The first one I bought myself was an ME-Super in 1981. Still think that's one of the best camera body designs of it's time.

But did I mention I've had four of them? Let's just say they never proved that reliable but I guess they proved I was an idiot. A big enough eejit to buy a nice black one a couple of years back. Even got it CLAed by Eric.

Two years later and it's showing worrying signs of dying on me. Works well enough but the shutter speed buttons are getting sticky and I'm not a 100% convinced the meter is working all the time.

So I'm pondering a replacement. An LX would be an obvious choice but they're a little pricey these day. Manual Spots are too close to the K1000. So yes I'm pondering.

10-14-2019, 05:43 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
How about.....

Back in University, I acquired my first Pentax, also from my father, when my Ricoh XR-2 had a shutter problem, leaving me without a camera. My father took pity on me, and since my birthday was coming up he bought me a Pentax MX - probably for better reliability, and so I could use all my lenses on it. Same body style as the ME Super, but all manual. I loved it then, and recently bought another one from eBay because, although the K1000 I have is a lot of fun, there’s just something about the smaller bodied MX that’s compelling. Why not try one? After all, it’s the same body style, but with the MX, if the electronics die, the shutter will still work....

AH
10-14-2019, 05:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My first SLR {after ten years of two range-finder cameras} was an ME SE, which I purchased in 1979 at the end of its ‘run’. It lasted less than four years because it became a tad wet at Niagara - but I replaced it with a Super Program which I used as my primary camera for just over twelve years {an all-time record for me}, and even today I use it on occasion.

I still have the Pentax-M 50mm f/2 lens which was kitted with the ME SE body. I can certainly understand why you loved your ME Super body.
10-14-2019, 06:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

My first 'serious' SLR was a ME Super. Still have it and even had it serviced by Eric in 2014, despite not having putting a roll in it since 2007ish.

I have 2 or 3 more ME Supers acquired via camera bag purchases, (always for one particular lens, never for the body or stacks of flashes,
filters, etc). They sit in a box full of 'to assess, clean & sell' camera equipment. Would you like to add to your ME Super collection?

10-14-2019, 06:38 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Super Program is a good bet if you want to replace a MESuper.

It adds full program and TTL flash to the MESuper feature set.

It also works with lenses lacking an aperture ring.

-Eric
10-14-2019, 08:01 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

This hits closer to home than I'd like to admit. (I've gone through two ME Supers myself).

As for some recommendations to exacerbate your pondering, I have an ongoing love affair with the Pentax K2 and K2dmd. While it doesn't go up to 1/2000 it does everything else a ME Super can (with better ergonomics for exposure compensation) and supports mirror pickup. I'm about 80 rolls deep into my K2 and it's not had so much as a hiccup. I also prefer the viewfinder of a K2 over the LED readout of the ME for use in low light.
10-14-2019, 08:05 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wore my ME-super out after using it for about 13 yrs. Shutter died and was to expensive to replace, so I moved up to an MZ-S, which I still have and use some.

I still miss the ME-Super....fun and easy to work with, small, a great all around camera!

10-14-2019, 10:50 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Ummm I find the M series cameras wonderful and would highly recommend the MX. Who needs all that automation anyway, or how about the ME-F with focus indication as well as auto exposure
10-14-2019, 11:42 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Considering the ME Super was only made for about 5 years during the 20 year reigb of the K1000, it's amazing ho mant people (including me) had it as a first serious camera and have an enduring affection for it. The latch to the back door of mine started failing after about 6 years (I kept it light tight with one of my wife to be's hair elastics) and it finally met it's death when I dropped it in a mountain stream in South Africa a year later - I tried to dry it out, but the wind mechanism started seizing up some six months later - evidently the rust had got in . I still miss the simplicity and sheer fun of using it though
10-14-2019, 11:57 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would recommend the MX as well. Very nice Camera.
If you like to keep the aperture priority and like to keep on fidling with the knobs, the Super Program, which is a huge upgrade over the ME super. But it has issues of it's own (electronics).

P30N/T if you can live with auto ISO and the plastic feeling.

And there are plenty of cameras outside the Pentax brand with K mount as well. Ricoh, Chinon and Cosina offer very nice reliable cameras as well.

But then again: MX.
10-15-2019, 02:35 AM   #11
Pentaxian

My first "serious" camera was an ME Super too. I now have four of them, all working. Last October I spent a holiday in the US and decided to mostly shoot film using two of my ME Supers.

One problem is the metering can go a little odd if they haven't been used for a while. It is something to do with dust/dirt/corrosion under the ASA/Exp Comp dial. I've found that gently changing the exposure comp dial back and forth for a little while often solves the problem for a while.

I have far too many film SLRs. My most used are the MX and LX, but the ME Supers get a regular look in too. Funny how after all these years and different cameras muscle memory kicks in and my fingers, eye and brain all collaborate in a way they don't often manage these days!
10-15-2019, 04:24 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When the ME Super first came out I was wary of the push buttons and didn't get one. I loved to handle it in the store I worked at though. That viewfinder and focusing screen made the brightest view I had ever seen. Thirty years later I picked up a couple good clean ones cheap and I still love the bright viewfinder. Focus with that camera seems to just pop in and my used ones haven't shown any push button problems yet. The only other Pentax I feel has that bright and easy to focus image is the LX. Still expensive it is and the might explain the long term appeal of the ME Super.
Like Gerbermeister above though I do prefer the exposure indicators in a K2 rather than any LEDs
10-15-2019, 04:19 PM   #13

Original Poster
So many options. I think my affection for the ME-Super is in part because I remember how desperately I saved up for it after college when I was on the dole. I even managed to scrape together enough for a MEII winder. I couldn't afford it but I *had* to have it. My life was complete ! I took many photos on that camera which i have a great affection/nostalgia for being in my early 20s at that time. I still have the lens (and now many others in the SMC-M/A ranges). Even though the ME-Super died on me eventually as did subsequent ones - all electronic failures) I kept the MEII winder. Two years ago I bought a "new" ME-Super and tried it with the winder. At which point the winder died. And no I've not thrown it out. I still have the winder. It cost me £40 in 1981 and I'm not giving it up I tell you

The LX is the obvious one to get for me but I'm not thrilled at spending $300+ on one. So I will either go modern like the Super Program or go full on manual retro and get an early black Spotmatic - or both
10-15-2019, 06:49 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do both. They’re different animals, and worthy in different ways.

-Eric
10-15-2019, 06:55 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rjm007 Quote
But did I mention I've had four of them? Let's just say they never proved that reliable but I guess they proved I was an idiot.
I'm not sure you are an idiot; 4 cameras in 38 years is not that bad. And the ones you acquire nowadays already have some amount of age built-in.

QuoteOriginally posted by rjm007 Quote
So I will either go modern like the Super Program or go full on manual retro
"modern"