Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2008, 10:02 PM   #1
Forum Member

which film

I'm starting to get back into film just for fun and was wondering what types of film I should use. I usually take candids and nature pics.

I heard the fuji superia 400 was good. Any opinions?

I prefer negatives to slide film

10-17-2008, 02:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use it, as it is easily available in the drug store/supermarket. For other tastes, I really like Fuji PRO 160C. Also, you might be interested in either the Ilford XP2 or Kodak BW400CN for b&w that any lab can develop for you. The usual widely available Kodak films are good as well. I've also shot with 'no name' store brand films, which can give interesting results... often they are grainier than the equivalent Fuji/Kodak.

Perhaps I don't pay enough attention to subtle color stuff, but it seems to me that with color print film other variables tend to swamp out any basic color balance / intensity stuff. That is, the act of scanning film with auto exposure auto white balance auto whatever homogenizes things... and these days even the prints are digital.
10-17-2008, 04:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When I was doing more color film stuff a couple of years ago, Kodak High Definition 200 (I think it only comes in 200 and 400) was a really nice go-to film for me. I can't find it locally any more, though.
10-17-2008, 05:46 AM   #4
Banned

for cheap(er) film with excellent quality (what fuji film isn't?) that is great all around I think fuji superia 400 is an excellent choice for color negative. widely available and of course easy to get processed.

10-17-2008, 02:27 PM   #5

Films (negative colour) wigh I like a lot :

Kodak Profoto 100 KODAK PROFESSIONAL PROFOTO 100 Colour Negative Film: Tech Pub E-2E

Fuji REALA 100 Fujifilm Film

Both have very, very good colours (slightly saturated) , very good colours for skin (especially Profoto which was a little more warmer tones so very good for potraits), and especially Reala is very sharp / high resolution. Both have very fine grain .

Fuji X-TRA Superia 400 is also good but it's more grainy.

There is also Kodak Gold 200 wich has saturated colours but more grain than the Profoto.

The B&W Ilford XP2 (ISO 400) , yas it's agrat film if you want a C41 processed B&W film.

Slides I did not tryed not classic B&W because in me town no lab is processing slides and I did not aquire until this moment all the equipment needed to develop myself the BW films.

See also the reviews on the net.

Good luck.
10-17-2008, 05:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

i've been doing a lot of research into film recently
choices for colour 400 are either
Superia X-tra (Press is the same, it's refrigerated), Kodak cheap stuff
Kodak Portra 400VC/NC. the UC (Ultra Color) is being discontinued
Fuji 400H

the 400H and the NC are both more natural colours
i think i'll get a stack of 400H since B&H sells it for $4 a roll ... they also sell Superia at $2, can't go wrong at those prices