Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2019, 12:26 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Sorry to be so direct. I may be wrong, but your comments appear to be based on limited experience and contained some fairly blunt assertions that might be misleading.

Steve
I have this lens for more than 10 years. No issues with putting it on K20D, K5IIs and K-1. No issues with attaching to its adaptal adapter and deattach9ng from it. If you want to brake something eventually you will achieve that goal.

It would be interesting to see how you would be able to connect the lens and the adapter in a wrong way. It is like attaching K-mount lens on K-mount bayonet in a wrong way. You fairly blunt wisdom based on your extended experience shared with doomies is very much appreciated.

10-25-2019, 02:19 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow, what a response! Thank you so much for all that info.

So it turns out I have a P/KA custom mount as Steve (and others) suspected.

I had a good look at the way the mount and actuators line-up and I think itís been bent in the past. I gently bent the paddle towards the body a bit (Iíve attached a pic to show where it was as red line, compared to where it is now as green line). Now when I mount the lens and stop down, the lever on the back DOES operate the iris! Yes!

But... not out of the woods yet. When the aperture is set to about f8 or lower (bigger?) the lever is sometimes sticky. I can imagine the mechanism in the camera will stick and wonít be able to close the iris enough when fired. Sometimes.

So I think Iíll look for another simpler PK custom mount, just to be safe.

Itís a 52BB lens by the way.
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8  Photo 
10-25-2019, 02:54 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vasyl Quote
It would be interesting to see how you would be able to connect the lens and the adapter in a wrong way.
OK

I would tend to agree with you except for a few help requests on this site over the years. The Adaptall/Adaptall-2 system is amazing, but not without potential pitfalls. Try this with the P/KA adapter and an Adaptall-2 lens f/3.5 or f/2.5 maximum aperture:
  • With adapter on lens, lock the aperture ring in the AE position
  • Remove adapter from lens and slide the moveable tab as far as possible towards the green dot
  • Put the aperture ring at f/22 and reattach the still-locked adapter. Note that the aperture ring is now locked at f/22. This position will result the lens in inaccurate exposure and is the first indicator of a problem.
  • Press the lock to release the aperture ring and note that it cannot be placed at f/22
  • To "fix", take the adapter off the lens
  • To prevent, be consistent in having the lens at maximum aperture for both removal and attachment.*
What has happened is that the AE interlock has not allowed the adapter to fully "click" onto the lens without providing much indication to the user this has happened. The adapter will rotate nicely into place with two satisfying clicks. Yes, we had a help request for an f/2.5 Adaptall-2 lens unable to go to narrower than f/16.

Steve

*I have the Tamron instructions that came with my P/KA and PK adapters (bought new) and the first step to attach reads "Be sure to set the aperture ring of the lens to the maximum aperture" and to remove, "Before removing the custom mount, be sure to move the aperture ring of the lens to the maximum aperture". An additional note for removal states that the AE lock should be released first.
10-25-2019, 02:56 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Beepaitch Quote
Wow, what a response! Thank you so much for all that info.

So it turns out I have a P/KA custom mount as Steve (and others) suspected.

I had a good look at the way the mount and actuators line-up and I think itís been bent in the past. I gently bent the paddle towards the body a bit (Iíve attached a pic to show where it was as red line, compared to where it is now as green line). Now when I mount the lens and stop down, the lever on the back DOES operate the iris! Yes!

But... not out of the woods yet. When the aperture is set to about f8 or lower (bigger?) the lever is sometimes sticky. I can imagine the mechanism in the camera will stick and wonít be able to close the iris enough when fired. Sometimes.

So I think Iíll look for another simpler PK custom mount, just to be safe.

Itís a 52BB lens by the way.
I'm glad you got it sorted out The 52BB is a nice lens and I think you will be pleased with its performance.

Steve

10-25-2019, 10:16 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Now I just need to find a custom mount. Iíve seen Adaptallís with:
ďFor Pentax K.M.Ē
ďP/KĒ
ďFor Pentax KĒ
...which all look identical. Ranging between about £6 and £30 depending on condition and seller-cheek
10-26-2019, 01:08 AM - 1 Like   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Beepaitch Quote
Now I just need to find a custom mount. Iíve seen Adaptallís with:
ďFor Pentax K.M.Ē
ďP/KĒ
ďFor Pentax KĒ
...which all look identical. Ranging between about £6 and £30 depending on condition and seller-cheek
There several different names for the same thing. The key is K-mount with two tabs, the second aperture scale, and no contacts on the mount. Two of my Adaptall-2 adapters are stamped "P/K" and the other "For Pentax K.M.".

Steve
11-05-2019, 01:25 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all for the encouragement to buy the P/K version. Took delivery of one yesterday and it works perfectly!

Case closed.