Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2019, 08:10 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ME Super & Adaptall 2 problem

Hello, Iím new here, new to Pentax and new to anything Adaptall!

Iíve inherited some kit. Among it is a Tamron SP 90mm with Adaptall PK mount, and somethingís not right.
I have no reason to believe this lens or adapter is broken, and it would have been used with grandfatherís P30T. Iím now trying to use it with an ME Super.

The problem is that aperture lever/paddle (sorry I donít know the correct wording for any of this!) on the bottom of the adapter - when fitted to the lens - doesnít close the iris. Itís wide open at all times regardless of aperture ring setting.

If I remove the adapter and gently press the little wheeled lever inside the lens, the iris closes beautifully and smoothly.

When fitting the Adaptall2 I lined-up the green dots, and the two tabs that locate into the lens body. Pressed it and rotated until it clicks. The little release lever on the adapter clicks into place as it seems like itís supposed to.

Any ideas folks? Thanks!

10-25-2019, 08:46 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome to the forum

lots of friendly members and knowledge can be found here

not exactly your problem but you might want to review this thread:

Shutter not working with a new lens. - PentaxForums.com

and send a pm to some of the posters there to see if they might be of assistance
10-25-2019, 08:51 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Beepaitch Quote

Iíve inherited some kit. Among it is a Tamron SP 90mm with Adaptall PK mount, and somethingís not right.
I have no reason to believe this lens or adapter is broken, and it would have been used with grandfatherís P30T. Iím now trying to use it with an ME Super.

The problem is that aperture lever/paddle (sorry I donít know the correct wording for any of this!) on the bottom of the adapter - when fitted to the lens - doesnít close the iris. Itís wide open at all times regardless of aperture ring setting.

If I remove the adapter and gently press the little wheeled lever inside the lens, the iris closes beautifully and smoothly.

When fitting the Adaptall2 I lined-up the green dots, and the two tabs that locate into the lens body. Pressed it and rotated until it clicks. The little release lever on the adapter clicks into place as it seems like itís supposed to.

Any ideas folks? Thanks!
Welcome to PF!

Just to be clear, you have the ME Super - not Super A - and the Tamron PK (not P/KA) Adapter?
10-25-2019, 08:57 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Does the iris close when you press the shutter? Wide open metering was already common by that era. The lens stops down (closes the iris) only when the picture is taking.

Thanks,

10-25-2019, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello, I’m new here, new to Pentax and new to anything Adaptall!
Welcome to Pentax and Pentax Forums!

Tamron made several variants in their manual-focus 90mm macro line -- a 90mm f/2.5 and 90mm f/2.8. Adaptall lenses are often referred to by their model numbers. For example, the 90mm f/2.5 lens is Model 52B or 52BB, while the 90/2.8 is 72B. They are very good lenses.

The adapter, or 'custom mount' as Tamron called them, can be finicky, and need to be mounted in a particular manner. It sounds like you are mounting your PK adapter properly, but maybe you could check the mounting instructions to make sure. They can be found online, for example: TAMRON ADAPTALL-2 OWNER'S MANUAL Pdf Download.

The PK adapter is relatively simple, but over time they can get out of alignment, or the aperture-actuation spring can weaken.

You'll find quite a few discussions online concerning problems with the adapter and mounting it. Here's one that might pertain to your issue: Adaptall 2 PKA mount instructions?

Information and reviews on the PK adapter may be found at: Tamron Adaptall P-KM mount Lens Reviews - Tamron Adaptall Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

- Craig
10-25-2019, 09:17 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Welcome to Pentax and Pentax Forums!

Tamron made several variants in their manual-focus 90mm macro line -- a 90mm f/2.5 and 90mm f/2.8. Adaptall lenses are often referred to by their model numbers. For example, the 90mm f/2.5 lens is Model 52B or 52BB, while the 90/2.8 is 72B. They are very good lenses.

The adapter, or 'custom mount' as Tamron called them, can be finicky, and need to be mounted in a particular manner. It sounds like you are mounting your PK adapter properly, but maybe you could check the mounting instructions to make sure. They can be found online, for example: TAMRON ADAPTALL-2 OWNER'S MANUAL Pdf Download.

The PK adapter is relatively simple, but over time they can get out of alignment, or the aperture-actuation spring can weaken.

You'll find quite a few discussions online concerning problems with the adapter and mounting it. Here's one that might pertain to your issue: Adaptall 2 PKA mount instructions?

Information and reviews on the PK adapter may be found at: Tamron Adaptall P-KM mount Lens Reviews - Tamron Adaptall Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

- Craig
I second this. I recently acquired a used Tamron PK adaptor and I'm finding it a bit tricky to line up the two little tabs compared with my PS adaptor which only has one. Usually I have to adjust the aperture ring to bring one or both into alignment, otherwise it will easily slip over the lens barrel and not mate properly with the slot. After that, the action's a little stiff, but it does work.
10-25-2019, 09:17 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I was dealing with the same issue with my adaptal II 70-210 lens.
You cannot set up the aperture manually on neither ME nor DSLR for Tamron Adaptal II. It will be wide open. In order to control the aperture on DSLR you have to switch to A setting on the lens and control the aperture through the wheels on the camera.
In order to do it manually, you should not fully apply the lens on your camera before the lock clicks (in this case the lens will not be securely sitting on it so, be careful.
If you put the lens in the same way on ME, I am afraid it will not measure the shutter speed properly.
10-25-2019, 09:31 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vasyl Quote
You cannot set up the aperture manually on neither ME nor DSLR for Tamron Adaptal II. It will be wide open.
This isn't right, the aperture in both cases (with PKM mount) is set by rotation of the aperture ring on the lens. ME/ME super is original K mount aperture priority camera (no contacts) and works fully with PKM mount. DSLR you need to use M, won't stop down in Av (or use PKA mount).

With the lens off the camera, the OP is right in supposing that rotating the aperture ring should close down the iris. Provided the mount is on correctly! First thing to check: the position of the "ears" on the mount, should be properly engaged in the slots on the lens. Iris not closing indicates mechanical problem with the linkages. Need to inspect the mount and how it connects.

Last edited by marcusBMG; 10-25-2019 at 09:41 AM.
10-25-2019, 09:35 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
This isn't right, the aperture in both cases (with PKM mount) is set by rotation of the aperture ring on the lens. ME/ME super is aperture priority camera and works fully with PKM mount. DSLR you need to use M, won't stop down in Av (or use PKA mount).

With the lens off the camera, the OP is right in supposing that rotating the aperture ring should close down the iris. Provided the mount is on correctly! First thing to check: the position of the "ears" on the mount, should be properly engaged in the slots on the lens. Iris not closing indicates mechanical problem with the linkages. Need to inspect the mount and how it connects.
I doubt if there is any way you can connect the lens to the adapter improperly ...
10-25-2019, 09:40 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Any ideas folks? Thanks!
It sounds like you're doing everything right. And the fact you confirmed there's nothing wrong with the aperture mechanism in the lens is a good start.

With the adapter off the lens, see if moving the stop down lever on the back of the mount actually moves the actuator in and out (the part that presses on the "wheeled lever"). I would hazard a guess there's something stuck, broken or missing. You might need another adaptall mount.
10-25-2019, 09:58 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I doubt if there is any way you can connect the lens to the adapter improperly ...
This is not true. There are several ways to improperly mate the PKA version, all of which result in a jam.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-25-2019 at 10:39 AM.
10-25-2019, 10:02 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This is not true. There are several ways to improperly mate the PKA version, all of which result in a jam.

Stevew
You have to have serious intention to put that in such way...
10-25-2019, 10:36 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

ME Super & Adaptall 2 problem
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

As a long-time adaptall-2 user (since 1982) on cameras similar to your ME Super, let me give a try at summarizing and supplementing the advice in the comments above...
  • It sounds like you are properly attaching the adapter to the lens. The only thing I might add is that the aperture ring should be set to the maximum aperture (smallest number) while attaching/removing the adapter. This is true for all but the simplest Adaptall and Adaptall-2 adapters and is part of directions included in the box when new.
  • Given that your dad used the adapter on a P30T, it is possible that the adapter is the PKA model that allows aperture control by the cameras such as the P30T. That version is labeled PKA and has three contacts on the mount face and a lock mechanism for the AE position on the aperture ring. If so, use of that adapter on your ME Super requires that the AE lock not be engaged.* See first point above regarding aperture ring while mounting.
  • The regular PK adapter has no mount contacts, no AE lock, and has a second aperture scale to work with the little window on the front of your camera
  • With both the PK and PKA adapters, the aperture should be appear stopped down with the lens off the camera (fully with PKA and to aperture position on the PK) and full open when attached. With lens off the camera, the aperture actuator should be able to fully open/close the iris with no hesitation or binding.
If the behavior is different than the last point (your description), the blame is with the adapter. I have a junk Tamron zoom at the back of my shelf with an errant PKA adapter attached. The actuator action for that adapter has significant friction that affects it ability to work properly. If yours is the PKA version, that may explain what you are seeing. The PK adapters have a very straightforward mechanism that is pretty foolproof. Unless a user has a strong need for the PKA version, I usually suggest the less expensive and less fiddly PK.

Steve

* There are several possible cases where a PKA adapter may be inoperable due to improper removal and/or fiddling with the adapter off-lens. In that case, one of the tabs remains locked in the AE position preventing a proper attachment without jam. This can be resolved with the adapter off-lens, but requires patience.

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-25-2019 at 11:05 AM. Reason: completeness
10-25-2019, 10:50 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

You have to have serious intention to put that in such way...
Sorry to be so direct. I may be wrong, but your comments appear to be based on limited experience and contained some fairly blunt assertions that might be misleading.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-25-2019 at 11:03 AM. Reason: clarity
10-25-2019, 10:52 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
With the adapter off the lens, see if moving the stop down lever on the back of the mount actually moves the actuator in and out (the part that presses on the "wheeled lever"). I would hazard a guess there's something stuck, broken or missing. You might need another adaptall mount.
Excellent advice

Steve