Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2019, 11:50 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
The T function on Pentax S3?

I bought me an old Pentax S3 film camera to get a fully manual camera with shutter T-function, but to my surprise it looks like it has a kind of semi T-function?

When time dial is set at T, one press on the shutter button properly opens the shutter, but to close it one has to turn the time set dial in either direction away from the T-position.

Is this behavior as it should be on this camera?
Is it broken?
Or is there some hidden trick to get a proper T-function: first shutter button press opens shutter, second shutter button press closes shutter?

Are all manual film Pentax cameras T-function working the same way as the S3, or are there fully manual (without battery and any kind of electronics, included built in light meters) models with a "proper" T-function?

10-25-2019, 12:07 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nokturner Quote
Or is there some hidden trick to get a proper T-function: first shutter button press opens shutter, second shutter button press closes shutter?
That sounds more like B mode than T mode

---------- Post added 10-25-19 at 08:09 PM ----------

When time dial is set at T, one press on the shutter button properly opens the shutter, but to close it one has to turn the time set dial in either direction away from the T-position.
Don't you just wait for the set TIME to elapse ?
10-25-2019, 12:20 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought me an old Pentax S3 film camera to get a fully manual camera with shutter T-function, but to my surprise it looks like it has a kind of semi T-function?
Press shutter release to open...move off the "T" position to close. My SV is the same. To the best of my knowledge that is the closest you will get on any Pentax camera until recent times where "B" mode on a Pentax dSLR may be configured to act either as classic "B" or as "T".

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-25-2019 at 12:33 PM.
10-25-2019, 12:26 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
That sounds more like B mode than T mode
Sounds more like "T" to me...at least on cameras other than S-series Pentax. My Exaktas support both "B" (bulb) and "T" (time) as do the shutters for my view camera lenses. "B" stays open as long as the release is pressed and "T" stays open until the release is pressed again.

Edit: The S-series Pentax behavior is not really that cumbersome if one is actually doing truly long exposures. Any camera motion associated with turning the dial would be inconsequential and is much preferred over using attempting the same with a finger press or non-locking cable release on "B".

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-25-2019 at 12:50 PM.
10-25-2019, 12:43 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The "T" function is similiar to the "B" (Bulb) option, both are best used with a mechanical shutter release cable.

With the "Bulb" option you have to keep the shutter pressed down for whatever length of time needed for the exposure.

With the "Time" option has to be used with a mechanical shutter release cable. You put the shutter release cable on the shutter button & use the twisting lock, click it, and walk away (the cable release will keep the shutter button held down). Then you click the cable release button again to finish the exposure.
10-25-2019, 03:31 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
The "T" function is similiar to the "B" (Bulb) option, both are best used with a mechanical shutter release cable.

With the "Bulb" option you have to keep the shutter pressed down for whatever length of time needed for the exposure.

With the "Time" option has to be used with a mechanical shutter release cable. You put the shutter release cable on the shutter button & use the twisting lock, click it, and walk away (the cable release will keep the shutter button held down). Then you click the cable release button again to finish the exposure.
While I agree that a cable release is a good idea for both "B" and "T", "T" does not require the button be held down; that is the beauty of "T" and how it differs from "B". What you described sounds a lot like using a collar-type locking cable release. With the lock collar loosened, the first press locks the cable in the down position and a second press releases it.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-25-2019 at 03:41 PM. Reason: completeness and clarity
10-25-2019, 03:40 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Press shutter release to open...move off the "T" position to close. My SV is the same. To the best of my knowledge that is the closest you will get on any Pentax camera until recent times where "B" mode on a Pentax dSLR may be configured to act either as classic "B" or as "T".
I can think of one other camera with a "T" mode that doesn't work on two shutter presses: the Contax IIa (and I assume IIIa). On those cameras the "T" is the only shutter speed that doesn't lock the speed selection dial in place, and to close the shutter you have to turn selection dial back to "B".

So the implementation on the S-series at least has precedence, even if "T" as two shutter presses was already well established.

10-25-2019, 04:18 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The T setting on old Pentax SLRs is more like a locking B setting.
As Steve said a cable release is not required.

My mom had an old Kodak 620 folder with lens shutter.
On T press shutter release once to open; again to close.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 10-25-2019 at 04:23 PM.
10-25-2019, 05:43 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Interestingly enough, the more modern (1980) Nikon F3 has a T and B mode. The T mode works as stated above - opens shutter and requires moving off T mode to close shutter. The F3 is completely dependent on batteries except in this mode. As I understand it, the proper way to use this mode is in very long manually timed exposures and you cover the lens when the exposure is done before moving the dial.

To simulate this mode on the LX you simply fire in B mode and engage the shutter lock, open the lens cover then close it when done, then release the collar. Won't need a locking cable release.

I can't say I've ever used a T mode.
10-25-2019, 06:22 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Interestingly enough, the more modern (1980) Nikon F3 has a T and B mode. The T mode works as stated above - opens shutter and requires moving off T mode to close shutter. The F3 is completely dependent on batteries except in this mode. As I understand it, the proper way to use this mode is in very long manually timed exposures and you cover the lens when the exposure is done before moving the dial.

To simulate this mode on the LX you simply fire in B mode and engage the shutter lock, open the lens cover then close it when done, then release the collar. Won't need a locking cable release.

I can't say I've ever used a T mode.
Thanks for the practical notes on how to leverage these modes. I have used the equivalent of "T" on my K-3 ("B" mode 2) for long exposures with an IR remote, but leveraging shutter lock along with the lens cap as emulation is something I would never have thought of.

Steve
10-25-2019, 06:38 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
I can think of one other camera with a "T" mode that doesn't work on two shutter presses: the Contax IIa (and I assume IIIa). On those cameras the "T" is the only shutter speed that doesn't lock the speed selection dial in place, and to close the shutter you have to turn selection dial back to "B".

So the implementation on the S-series at least has precedence, even if "T" as two shutter presses was already well established.
Most Exakta model from 1935 through 1969 had the B and T. Some of the earliest ones had a Z instead of T...for Zeit (time in german). Also the 127 Exaktas had Z. On the Exakta you press the shutter release once to open, and again to close.

10-26-2019, 09:07 AM   #12
jft

Is this behavior as it should be on this camera?
Is it broken?

Are all manual film Pentax cameras T-function working the same way as the S3, or are there fully manual (without battery and any kind of electronics, included built in light meters) models with a "proper" T-function?
I have a S3 camera too. When I set the "T" mode, my camera behaves as you described : I have to turn the dial away from the T position to get the shutter to close.

When in the B position, pressing on the shutter button opens the shutter curtains, releasing the button closes the shutter.
10-26-2019, 11:47 AM   #13

Original Poster
Ok guys!

The camera is obviously working as designed then, nothing faulty, neither no trick to get the T-function to open and close with two shutterpresses.

Will try to find one of those cable releases which automaticly locks the wire in down position by a kind of locking washer when pressed, and then releases when the locking whasher is released by a simple one hand operation. Think I have fingered on one of those a long time ago. Can't use a cable release with screew lock down, since it requires a two hand operation to manouver it and I need one hand free.

This will in B-mode solve my need for one handed and vibration free camera operation.
10-26-2019, 02:39 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Will try to find one of those cable releases which automaticly locks the wire in down position by a kind of locking washer when pressed, and then releases when the locking whasher is released by a simple one hand operation. Think I have fingered on one of those a long time ago. Can't use a cable release with screew lock down, since it requires a two hand operation to manouver it and I need one hand free.
I have several Gepe 10" metal sheathed that I use with my large format gear. They are also available in 20".

Gepe Metal Weave Covered Cable Release with Disc-Lock 601023 B&H

I favor the metal braid over fabric and PVC though others might be fine with any of the three sheaths.

Steve
10-27-2019, 09:40 AM   #15

Turning the dial from "T" to another setting is how the shutter closes on the S3 (H3) models. It's covered in the Pentax manuals.