Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2019, 08:30 PM - 1 Like   #16

Plus, there's the cool factor when you have a neck strap that has loops for film canisters. They're especially cool if you put the old style metal ones in the loops. If you don't have the elastic loops, use electrician's tape.

10-28-2019, 09:01 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Before my time, they were used to keep your pot in.
10-28-2019, 09:45 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Before my time, they were used to keep your pot in.
Was just about to metion that lol
Depending in where you live (and legality of it), it's good to hide you're various forms of green stash lol
10-29-2019, 01:15 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Unregistered User

Back when they were made of black plastic in order to keep all light out, they began to be used to carry drugs around. Court cases held that cops had no probable cause to search because they had no way to know what was in the container, let alone reasonable suspicion that a film cannister didn't contain a roll of film. So the U.S. strong-armed the companies that make the cannisters into using translucent plastic so the cops would be able to convict people who carried drugs in 'em. So after all that, druggies found other things to carry drugs in, and you've got to have some light-proof container to keep your film cannisters in if you want to be sure stray light doesn't sneak in past the flocking and streak your film. Improvise, adapt, overcome. Smart people these cops - they didn't pay for the change, it's photographers who ate the increased cost of the now-inferior products resulting from the switch.

10-29-2019, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

One of the British newspapers (the guardian, I think) had a long running thin in the letters section where people would write in about how they used the canisters.

I have some rolls of HIE in the standard black with grey caps Kodak canisters, but there is a sticker on the cap warning about opening and loading in total darkness, so light blocking was once used, even it most film didn’t notice.
10-29-2019, 02:11 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pendennis Quote
Plus, there's the cool factor when you have a neck strap that has loops for film canisters. They're especially cool if you put the old style metal ones in the loops. If you don't have the elastic loops, use electrician's tape.

I might have a couple of metal film canisters among my father's old photo gear. I'll be they would make great cat toys too!
10-30-2019, 03:21 AM   #22
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
I might have a couple of metal film canisters among my father's old photo gear. I'll be they would make great cat toys too!
they do, indeed! I used to drill a few small holes in them sort of randomly and fill 'em about halfway with catnip.

10-30-2019, 06:32 AM - 2 Likes   #23

Photos: Gallery
The plastic lid from the APX100 film canisters holds exactly the correct amount of Ilfotol wetting agent (3ml) to add to the 600ml water in a Paterson tank for the final rinse.
10-30-2019, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The old metal ones make excellent storage for electronic devices (e.g. SD cards and mini thumbdrives), providing environmental protection from moisture as well as protection from those items being zapped by static electricity or EMP sources. Unfortunately, the plastic ones aren't quite as good at the latter.
10-30-2019, 08:26 AM   #25
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is there a place to buy the canisters? I no longer use film, and only have two of the plastic cans left. They are so handy for so many things! I'd like to have about a dozen to be able to utilize.
10-30-2019, 08:55 AM   #26

Never mind film canisters. Is there anything I can use old 120 spools for, now the cat is bored with them? I recycled loads recently (keeping them all together on the kitchen shelf makes one realise how much one spends on film) but kept one or two back.
10-30-2019, 12:40 PM   #27
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Is there a place to buy the canisters? I no longer use film, and only have two of the plastic cans left. They are so handy for so many things! I'd like to have about a dozen to be able to utilize.
Are you near anywhere that a retail film processor? Something like a Walgreens? I used to know someone that worked at London Drugs here, and they would just give them away to anyone that asked.
10-31-2019, 09:27 PM   #28
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpottyReputation Quote
Are you near anywhere that a retail film processor? Something like a Walgreens? I used to know someone that worked at London Drugs here, and they would just give them away to anyone that asked.
I'll have to check around; don't recall seeing any ads of any film processors locally. Thanks!
11-01-2019, 07:25 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Plastic film canisters... I keep spare LR44 batteries in them for traveling (with the batteries still in their packaging of course to prevent shorting them out).

---------- Post added 11-01-19 at 10:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlosU Quote
The cap on the translucent ones used by Fuji makes a perfect cap for the 40 limited hood. Much easier to put on and off and less worry if you lose one (as long as you have spares)
It works, that's absolutely brilliant! It was always annoying unscrewing that cap and I was always afraid I'd lose it. Thanks for the tip!
11-01-2019, 07:45 AM - 2 Likes   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pendennis Quote

My ES didn't come with loops, but it did have a little leather zipped container...

ES case par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity