Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Spotmatic (SP) and Super Tak 1:1.4/50

Well, new to me anyway. My dad found this gem at the big Flea Market in Daytona Beach for... get ready for it... 10 dollars!!!

He snatched it up naturally, as he has always seen me with Pentax gear. He played around with it but rapidly decided he was just better off with his P&S. So he decide to send it to me...

Lucky me!!!

I did have to disassemble the lens to remove some fungus on the rear of the front element group but it came right off.

Now I need to find a battery for it. Any ideas what is a suitable sub for the original battery?

I'll also be getting an adapter to use the lens on my K10D. It looks real sweet and is as crisp and smooth as any lens I have ever held.

10-17-2008, 06:43 PM   #2

Your garden variety Energizer 357 (or similar) will work just fine.

Like practically every other camera of its vintage the Spotmatic was originally designed to use a mercury cell (which produces 1.35 V), but Pentax was smart and built a circuit into the meter that makes it insensitive to battery voltage variations, so you can use a modern silver oxide cell (which makes 1.55 V) in it with absolutely no problems.

Beautiful camera and lens, by the way. I definitely have to get myself a member of the Spotmatic family eventually (I'm thinking a Spotmatic II vs. the original Spotmatic), but I just got myself a KX a week ago so it will have to wait.

Last edited by Stevopedia; 10-17-2008 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Grammatical error.
10-17-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I'd have prefered an SP II myself, but I sure wasn't gonna be picky in this situation! hehehe. I also have a KM, an MX and a Program Plus, but this is my first screwmount body and lens.
10-18-2008, 02:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That is classic, a beauty!

10-18-2008, 03:20 AM   #5
Damn Brit

Looks like it's been the week of Spotmatic deals Mike. I got a pristine spotmatic and 50 1.4 and you have seen the work of some of the other glass I got with it.
10-18-2008, 03:37 AM   #6
mel
Veteran Member

Congrats on your new addition to the family! I can't wait until mine arrives. Now slap that tak on your K10d and see what it can do.
10-18-2008, 07:04 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Mike, welcome to the Spottie family. I've owned a II for 36 years and Stevopedia is right. With the circuit bridge that Pentax built into these, you can use the 357 or any equivalent 1.5v battery rather than try to replace it with the Wein 1.35v. I think you will also love using that Tak on your K10 but be very careful with it. M42 Takumars tend to be highly addictive and could lead to an entirely new form (for you) of LBA. But at least our fixes are usually much cheaper than those that are jonesing for AF lenses.

CW

10-18-2008, 07:52 AM   #8
Inactive Account

First thing I noticed: geez, Riley, you've got some paws on you. Thing looks like an ME Super.

Second thing: it looks in pretty good nick. There isn't even much paint taken off the front of the lens.
10-19-2008, 06:50 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Sweet spottie!
check for light seals, those are ussualy gunk over the years and are quick/easy to replace

Other than that just enjoy it, the change of pace is quite remarkable and the final results are something else
10-30-2008, 03:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

What a sweet Spottie deal .. I'd love to come across something like that.