Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
10-30-2019, 12:04 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
camera recomendation

I apologize if this is in the wrong spot / unallowed. Please move or delete if is.

I'm looking for a camera recommendation - i would like to add the k-mount realm to my list of options.

After I get back from my trip, my SPII is going to visit Eric to resolve the light meter not turning off, and... well, 18 years of use.

My Om-2n is also making a trip, to resolve it's light leaks, and... 40 years without service.

I mention those two because I very much enjoy using both. The *lympus has a nice fit and finish, and the SPII is built like a rock, but more solid. My hands are medium-large, but find I can use both sizes comfortably.

So... KX or MX? Will give me something to play with while they're in the mail

LX is likely overkill, and likely out of my budget. If it can be found for an extra $20, i'd consider it. but...

KX seems like it'd be the K-mount version of my SPII, MX seems like it'd be the k-mount version of the om-2n.

For my needs (enthusiast use, travel, experimental), is there a strong reason to choose one over the other? Or another body? Trying to avoid too many circuits, as part supplies seem to be dwindling after 4 decades...

Thanks for your time, just trying to be reasonable with my GAS

10-30-2019, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Both have their fans here. Personally I love my MX but some find it too small and fiddly and dislike the LEDs in the viewfinder. The KX is bigger and has a more traditional needle in the viewfinder. Either camera is excellent and will fire on all speeds without batteries if you want to practice your sunny 16 skills.

K.
10-30-2019, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Both have their fans here. Personally I love my MX but some find it too small and fiddly and dislike the LEDs in the viewfinder. The KX is bigger and has a more traditional needle in the viewfinder. Either camera is excellent and will fire on all speeds without batteries if you want to practice your sunny 16 skills.

K.
I was worried about this when I originally posted... I'm going to need one of each, aren't I...
10-30-2019, 01:19 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpottyReputation Quote
I was worried about this when I originally posted... I'm going to need one of each, aren't I...
No two of each. They both came in black & chrome.

10-30-2019, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Get both!
They are both great. I personally prefer the needle metering but I think the MX may have a slightly better viewfinder.
At the end, it could be down to condition vs price of what you find.
Having said that, how about the legend itself? The K1000

Thanks,
10-30-2019, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Yup you'll probably end up with both. The KX is more sturdy and the shutter dial is easier to turn with the camera at the eye for many. Age wise the MX is likely newer, but either will give you the mechanical feel. The KX needs the film wind lever at the stand-off position for the meter to work which may be an issue.

Edit: If you wear glasses, the MX finder might be too big to see the corners.
10-30-2019, 02:11 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Get both!
They are both great. I personally prefer the needle metering but I think the MX may have a slightly better viewfinder.
At the end, it could be down to condition vs price of what you find.
Having said that, how about the legend itself? The K1000

Thanks,
We have a university with a decent fine arts program here, keeps the price of the K1000 higher than it should be...

I'm open to alternatives, although just trying to keep my aspirations under control

I'm in no rush on this purchase, so as you said, i'll wait for something with a good price/condition mix.

Thanks

---------- Post added 10-30-19 at 02:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
Yup you'll probably end up with both. The KX is more sturdy and the shutter dial is easier to turn with the camera at the eye for many. Age wise the MX is likely newer, but either will give you the mechanical feel. The KX needs the film wind lever at the stand-off position for the meter to work which may be an issue.

Edit: If you wear glasses, the MX finder might be too big to see the corners.
This is good information for me - I do wear glasses.

Thank you

10-30-2019, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

KX vs MX??

I have both the KX and the MX. In fact, three of the MX! One chrome, one black, and one as a parts camera. My problem with the MX has been its newly acquired insatiable appetite for batteries. My first one gave me a year or two, then suddenly only a month or two. An Atlanta repair shop was unable to fix the problem, despite being given carte blanche to keep the camera long enough to determine if it were fixed. Sad. The MX is a delightful box. Small, interchangeable screens, a winder, etc, etc. With the winder and a fast 50 it is a great street camera . If you can find them and afford the accessories make it a full system. But the stiff shutter dial is a bummer for quick shots.
The KX feels like a workhorse. Solid. Hefty. It is all that the K-1000 should have been. Center weighted meter, shutter and f stop visible in VF, DOF preview, mirror lockup.... If it had interchangeable screens and a winder/motor it would be nearly perfect! Some folks feel the MX and its cousins the ME are too small. But... if you're left handed or left eyed you have problems with the KX. The meter turn on is via the wind lever; good for us right eyed folk, but a poke in the for lefties. My clean KX was just over $100 WITH a spotless f 1.4. Given the overpriced K 1000's here in the Atlanta area (probably influenced by local colleges) the K X is a screaming bargain...if you can find one!
10-30-2019, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you can afford a LX get it, but from your 2 choices I take the KX
Ergonomics are just like the Spotmatic
10-30-2019, 05:14 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another recommendation could be the KM, which is a K1000 with DOF preview and timer. It sits between the K1000 and the KX. The K2 is the top of that line but probably over the top for what you are looking for.

Thanks,
10-30-2019, 07:12 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the KX and had an ME Super (not MX but close in size). I sold the ME since it was too small for my big hands. In my mind, the KX is the perfect camera.
10-30-2019, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've always liked the SFXn (SF-1n in some markets) I know there's more electronics than you want, but they're often very cheap. And you'll love the deep and comfortable grip, especially if you can get your hands on one with a AA battery grip.
10-31-2019, 07:22 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Another recommendation could be the KM, which is a K1000 with DOF preview and timer. It sits between the K1000 and the KX. The K2 is the top of that line but probably over the top for what you are looking for.

Thanks,
Strangely enough, there's a guy selling 3 K2s around here. I reached out to him, but haven't gotten a response.

Probably overkill, but... they were more reasonably priced than any of my other options. I'm keeping an eye out for Pentaxs in general.

---------- Post added 10-31-19 at 07:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I've always liked the SFXn (SF-1n in some markets) I know there's more electronics than you want, but they're often very cheap. And you'll love the deep and comfortable grip, especially if you can get your hands on one with a AA battery grip.
I'll keep an eye out, that's not a model I've seen in person before. I'm not against electronics completely, i've just had some strange results with (albeit very cheap) other "new" cameras.

---------- Post added 10-31-19 at 07:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
If you can afford a LX get it, but from your 2 choices I take the KX
Ergonomics are just like the Spotmatic
Is the LX really that much better for the average photographer? It's about a 30% overhead from the MX around here, when I can find one of course.

---------- Post added 10-31-19 at 07:26 AM ----------

thanks everyone for your input, you've given me a lot to think about
10-31-2019, 07:31 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So... KX or MX? Will give me something to play with while they're in the mail
The KX would be my choice, mostly do to it handling bigger lenses better than the smaller MX.

Try hand holding the K200/2.5 mounted on a MX or ME and you'll see what I mean.

The KX bigger size does come in handy sometimes...

Phil.
10-31-2019, 10:52 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Probably you won't see a difference for amateurs
but given how cheap they have become (compared to the 80s and 90s) the flexibility they afford you is priceless
Pentax LX - The Camera Body

In the 80s this was THE pro camera, next to the Nikon F3; I don't think canon or olympus had anything similar
https://www.casualphotophile.com/2017/02/19/pentax-lx-camera-review-the-best...mm-slr-around/
snip-snip

Is the LX really that much better for the average photographer? It's about a 30% overhead from the MX around here, when I can find one of course.

---------- Post added 10-31-19 at 07:26 AM ----------

thanks everyone for your input, you've given me a lot to think about