Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2019, 09:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

8 element super takumar compatibility

UsedPhotoPro has a bunch of super takumar 50/1.4, all listed in very good condition and all at $90. I got lucky and the first one I clicked had the infrared mark in the right place, so I bought it, quick. Not ultra cheap, but a good deal. (Assuming the IR indicator is a reliable indicator). All the rest are later 7 element lenses. I have some questions about the compatibility of the lens.

First, I have an original Spotmatic SP. that should work fine, right? It’s only the pre-spotmatic models that have issues, correct? I also have an SP-F, that I need to send off to make the meter work, but given it’s late date, I assume that one will work as well.

I also have an SV (which is my preferred M42 camera) I can’t tell what color the R is (red/green color blindness) but when I showed someone some time back, it seems it was the wrong color. I had thought it was the mirror that interfered with the rear element, but I saw somewhere else that it is the stop down plate. Is that correct? I’m curious what the difference is?

11-07-2019, 02:36 AM   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I cannot answer your most of your questions but the IR indicator is definitely reliable indicator. There have been some cases of fraudulent markings but they are easy to spot. The other thing you can do is check the serial number against the database here. Unless it was very late manufacture it will probably fall somewhere within the range of listed numbers.
11-07-2019, 05:04 AM   #3
Pentaxian

All the Spotmatics should be fine, it was only the pre-Spotmatics that had issues (those with the green ‘R’). I’m not sure if it’s the mirror or stop-down plate*.

As far as I’m aware, the green ‘R’ S-series bodies don’t play nice with the 50/f1.4 generally, whether 7 or 8 element.

*OT, I have two red ‘R’ SV’s that show quite a bit of difference around the mirror box. Using the same ST 55/f1.8 one works perfectly and one jams on the stop-down pin. I’m not sure the colour of the R is a reliable indicator...
11-07-2019, 08:10 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Another way to make sure its the 8-E is the rear element is slightly convex. Works fine on my spottie.

11-07-2019, 09:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
yeah, the only rear image on site was straight on so you couldn't see the profile of the rear element. the IR mark, however, does look original, unless someone tried to swap out that body piece.

The SP isn't my favorite camera, I like the feel of the SV and the SP-F better. I emailed Eric to to see if my SV (which is in excellent shape) could be upgraded for compatibility, but no-go. So I'll keep my eye out for an orange one (orange, right?), and send the SP-F to Eric to get the meter fixed.

EDIT: I checked the SN DB here and it seems to be in range--1339761. It also seems to have almost no yellowing.
Attached Images

Last edited by abruzzi; 11-07-2019 at 09:55 AM.
11-07-2019, 10:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
yeah, the only rear image on site was straight on so you couldn't see the profile of the rear element
Well, you wouldn't see the rear element with the cap on in any case. The bulge is somewhat subtle but the rear element does distinctly
extend beyond the retaining ring when viewed edge on. You'll notice it when you receive the lens.
11-07-2019, 10:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
they had a photo of the rear, but as I said its straight on so you see anything other than through it.

Attached Images

11-08-2019, 06:07 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Should be fine in the SPottie,
11-08-2019, 10:29 PM   #9
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
seems to have almost no yellowing
The coating has a gold cast, but these lenses do not yellow. There was no thorium glass in them.
11-10-2019, 07:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
The coating has a gold cast, but these lenses do not yellow. There was no thorium glass in them.
Your right. I looked them up and it was the replacement 7 element model that had the thorium.