Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2019, 01:48 AM   #76

Photos: Gallery
Short answer: Both, as of two weeks ago.

Long answer:
I transitioned to digital some years ago, primarily for work (I write car reviews and had to do my own shooting for many years). Bought a Sony a6000 a couple-few years back and it rekindled my love for creative photography, esp. as I now just write and don't have to shoot. And that rekindled love has led me back to my old film camera -- just shot my first two rolls in 20-something years. Plan is to develop the film @ home and (eventually) scan the negatives.

I started with my own Pentax KX, and friends gave me a bunch of old cameras -- a few that are non-operational, but as of this moment I have my KX plus a Nikomat FT-2, Minolta XG-E, and Ricoh KR-10 that all seem to be working, a Minolta SR-7 that is probably working, a Pentax MX that is ailing but I really want to use, and a Minolta 430si and Pentax Zoom 90 WR that I haven't put batteries into. So far I've only shot with my Pentax and the Nikon, but I'm looking forward to trying all of these old cameras.

11-15-2019, 03:04 AM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Digital is easier and cheaper. mostly pictures are technically perfect, but I doubt if more pictures are interesting. Often I think that photographers need more discipline before pressing the button. Would they press if it cost half a dollar? Not to mention that many pictures are too aggressively PP. You dont necessarily need to use
all possibilities
For me digital is second to none in color because we have the full control in PP, today we dont have to rely on a lab.
In Black and White I have not yet seen pictures with the richness in tones as the good film bw offer, think about Ansel Adams and others landscapes and portraits
The best bw results you get is when you have a traditional darkroom. Used quality equipment costs nearly nothing ( in Denmark), and the supply of films and chemicals are good.

Last edited by niels hansen; 11-15-2019 at 03:56 AM. Reason: forgot film
11-16-2019, 12:16 PM - 3 Likes   #78
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frito Quote
A question ; Are most of the members of the forum into digital photography or do many still do film? And do you consider Film to be very out dated. Just wondering what everyone thought. FRITO:
I am late to this discussion, but will add my bit. In short...
  • Have done film photography since the late 1960s, including both color and B&W darkroom
  • First digital camera in 2001 (Canon G2)
  • First dSLR in 2007 (Pentax K10D)
  • Current digital camera (Pentax K-3)
  • Current film kit...am minor collector, though my go-to 35mm SLR is an early 1980s Ricoh XR-2s mounted to Pentax-M 50/1.7*
I shot almost exclusively digital from 2001 to 2008, but on a whim in 2008, bought a few rolls of the then new Ektar 100 film and on New Year's Eve rediscovered an element of joy that was missing with my K10D.

Ricoh XR7, Tamron 28/2.5 (02B), Ektar Professional 100

Yes, the above was the first frame of the roll and the first I had used the camera in several years. My thoughts as recorded on Flickr...
QuoteQuote:
Sandhill Cranes fly over the lower Columbia River at Frenchman's Bar. It was the experience of making this shot that resulted in my adding film back into the mix. The process was so simple...hear birds coming from behind overhead, raise camera to eye, track flock while snapping focus, and shoot. The whole process took less time and work than to wake camera and acquire focus with my K10D.
In my mind, digital did not replace film photography anymore than color films replaced B&W or acrylic paints replaced oils. Let the medium suit the message. I do good work with both and seldom do my film images have the same "feel" as the digital captures. The two are different and attempting to assign equivalence in regards to technical factors is just plain dumb. My negatives are blatantly absent of pixels and that is a good thing.

Now a bit of confession...despite being nicely equipped for multiple film formats, I am in a dead spot and have not been actively producing for about 4 years. My intent is to have that change in the next month or so. I am looking forward to it.

A quick note regarding gear and approach...I do love my K-3. It is an incredible tool. Unfortunately, the technical aspect of extracting optimum results often threatens to overwhelm the creative process. It is probably enough to point out that never does one see a thread on the film photography section of this site exploring the agony of "shutter shock".

Steve

* Full disclosure...Yes, have an eclectic gathering of gear, but they are all in full working condition and include (large to small): 1) a recent manufacture Chamonix 4x5 field camera, 2) 6x7 roll film holders to work with said field camera, 3) a mid-1950s Mamiya 6x6 folder, 4) several M42 35mm SLRs including four from Pentax, 5) several more K-mount 35mm SLRs, including two from Pentax and one from Krasnogorsk, 6) a couple SRT-series Minolta 35mm SLRs, 7) two Exacta 35mm SLRs (VXIIa and VX1000), 8) three Soviet-made 35mm LTM rangefinder bodies (Zorki, FED, and Kiev), 9) a Canon P 35mm LTM rangefinder, 10) a Voigtlaender R3M 35mm M-mount rangefinder, and 11) an Olympus XA. For each camera type and mount, there is a representative three-lens kit and all but the Zenit Automat are fully operational.

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-16-2019 at 02:30 PM.
11-16-2019, 02:04 PM   #79
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Well, you're in the stomping grounds of (film section) of the folks around here that'll certainly skew your question's results (like me).
I think the current location of this thread is courtesy of the mods.

Steve

11-16-2019, 02:37 PM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Aww. They sent it "home".
11-16-2019, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #81
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
I think it’s the right place... more likely to get folks who are enthusiastic about film here

-Eric
11-17-2019, 05:21 AM - 1 Like   #82
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Personally I disagree with this and find film better for my purposes.
:
I should have enlarged, but I said what I did because I take two categories of photograph that I simply HAVE to get right the first time, then and there, and digital allows an immediate reshoot if things go wrong.

1) Family holidays to places we might never revisit, with people we might never meet again.

2) Medical photography during an autopsy or histology prosection, where the photographic subject is (of necessity) altered, destroyed or disrupted in the sampling process, e.g. a tumor which must be extensively sampled, but requires a permanent record of its relations to normal structures before it is sliced for removal of the sampled tissue.

I also occasionally do product or venue photography for my wife's craft shows and related activities, where the pics need to go online quickly to promote sales and events.

It all depends on the purposes.

11-17-2019, 09:30 PM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I should have enlarged, but I said what I did because I take two categories of photograph that I simply HAVE to get right the first time, then and there, and digital allows an immediate reshoot if things go wrong.

1) Family holidays to places we might never revisit, with people we might never meet again.

2) Medical photography during an autopsy or histology prosection, where the photographic subject is (of necessity) altered, destroyed or disrupted in the sampling process, e.g. a tumor which must be extensively sampled, but requires a permanent record of its relations to normal structures before it is sliced for removal of the sampled tissue.

I also occasionally do product or venue photography for my wife's craft shows and related activities, where the pics need to go online quickly to promote sales and events.

It all depends on the purposes.
Fair enough, I can't argue with that. Especially Number 2!
11-18-2019, 02:34 AM   #84

I use digital as a 'pocket photocopier', for which it is ideally suited, and for recording of oscilloscope, VNA, spectrum analyser displays in the field; for instant capture when stripping equipment down or assimilating wiring or jackfields, say, and for a record of remote sites so that I may advise from my desk PC when a fault has to be dealt with.

My digital cameras (Sony RX100 II, Canon EoS 5D Mk:1) make good devices for transferring negatives to the PC for onward promulgation to the likes of Flickr and here! Digital photography is a truly fantastic medium and is proper 'James Bond' stuff that we could only dream about as kids. I believe it's that good now that the algorithm in some cameras will 'fill in' what it 'thinks' is there when a pic is taken.

But I don't get any satisfaction or sense of achievement from shooting digital. I couldn't put my finger on it for a while, then it hit me. Yes - I could pretend a digital camera is a film camera and not 'chimp' and only take thirty six pictures and all that, but the magical element is missing. I'm much happier and more content with opto-chemical photography. When everyone has whipped out their 'phones, taken a pic and moved on, I enjoy the satisfaction of slopping with water at the kitchen sink and watching a big fat negative come out of my Paterson tank, and the knowledge that my negative may be copied with the best available technology available at the time; that I may curate my negatives by sticking them in A4 sheets in a file without the need for a computer or a cloud connection, or the vagaries of digital media frailty. And when all's said and done, I just love using old equipment. Some people enjoy taking their classic car out for a run of a Sunday. I don't have a classic car, but I do have several classic cameras.

And when I retire, I might get that darkroom built!
11-18-2019, 03:10 AM - 1 Like   #85
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Both. Film since 1974 and digital since 2004 (Pentax since 2008).
35mm and medium format.
When I'm out shooting I have at least one film camera with my K-1.
On my last holiday I had a Leica CL on the left shoulder, a Plaubel Makina 67 around the neck and my K-1 on the right shoulder
I'm developing b&w (Caffenol) and colour (C41 and E6) with a Jobo cpe2 and I have a Durst M670 for b&w enlargements...
And Corel PaintShop Pro for digital... and film (dust removal).
11-20-2019, 01:46 PM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Digital OR film is not relevant, the answer is digital AND film. The choice is decided by subjective aesthetic matters.In technical terms digital is superieur under low light conditions.Even the most dedicated film fan must give up at 3200 ISO, the KP is in many cases useable at 100000 ISO, it is quite incredible.

Last edited by niels hansen; 11-20-2019 at 01:48 PM. Reason: forgot an 0 in iso values
11-22-2019, 08:57 AM   #87

How are you finding the 110?what sort of image quality do you get with decent lenses?

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I shoot with my phone, my Qs, my K-3, any one of a wide variety of 35mm SLRs and rangefinders, a couple of 1950s medium format folders, a TLR, a medium format pinhole camera, and a 5x4 view camera. I don't make my living from photography (although photography is often involved in my work), it is a source of fun and relaxation. As long as I enjoy it, I will use it. I'm looking forward to the Pentax 110 which should arrive later this week...
11-22-2019, 02:21 PM   #88
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ditechspain Quote
How are you finding the 110?what sort of image quality do you get with decent lenses?
I haven't finished the first roll. Not expecting too much as the real problem with 110 film is the cartridge. As it doesn't hold the film firmly and flat, it cannot really do justice to the lenses. It is fun to use though, which for me is why I am using it!

K.