Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 39 Likes Search this Thread
11-08-2019, 11:05 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Digital or Film

A question ; Are most of the members of the forum into digital photography or do many still do film? And do you consider Film to be very out dated. Just wondering what everyone thought. FRITO:

11-08-2019, 11:18 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Now I use only digital. My last film use was in 2011.

Recently I bought a Pentax SPF and I will try it to remember old good days.

But I think that the IQ of digital is far superior of film IQ.

Last edited by dantonvb; 11-08-2019 at 11:30 AM.
11-08-2019, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I think the majority of what you'll find here is digital photography, but there is still an active contingent of film shooters.

My opinion is, who cares if film is outdated. If you enjoy it, shoot film. I have recently started shooting film again and started developing BW at home. It's a lot of fun and I've even got my kids doing it. 35mm film is no match for the crisp clean sharpness of my 36mp K1, but I find something very appealing in the aesthetic of my film shots.
11-08-2019, 11:22 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I do film for fun.
Digital for important things.

I enjoy the film workflow, especially with a more mechanical camera, and that’s a large part of the attraction...

But digital is generally higher quality, faster, and more reliable...

-Eric

11-08-2019, 11:23 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
personally I don't consider myself good enough to use film

with digital I can see what I did and attempt to clean up anything I want with my modest ( at best ) p p "skills " and print what I want

since I have no equipment nor knowledge which would allow me to develop prints or slides I cannot help but pay for the creation of " mistakes "

I frankly admire those who do use film and posts those images here
11-08-2019, 11:27 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Although I shot film for many years & it was exciting to get the pictures developed & then seeing them after, I've been shooting 100% digital since 2004 or so. It's a lot easier & don't have to deal with trying to find a developer nearby or having to mail my rolls to get developed. If there were places to get film developed nearby, I'd probably shoot film on occasion for the fun of it.
11-08-2019, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

BOTH
Digital is very convenient for quick takes, a lot of photos in a card and sharing

Film is a more intimate and loving thing.. I enjoy the smells and feels of darkroom work which keeps me going
even if I don't make it to digital with it

Last edited by titrisol; 11-08-2019 at 05:56 PM.
11-08-2019, 11:58 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frito Quote
A question ; Are most of the members of the forum into digital photography or do many still do film? And do you consider Film to be very out dated. Just wondering what everyone thought. FRITO:
I think there are quite a few around here who primarily shoot film. I started shooting in 2007 using primarily digital, and have slowly switched to film, and since 2014 have used film for 95% of my work.
I don't think film is outdated at all, but it has become a lot less used in the past 20 years. There has been a small resurgence of film in the past 5 years, particularly among young people that grew up with only digital.
The question of which is better has been argued endlessly for years, but it is so subjective and depends heavily on what the photographer is ultimately looking for.
It's important to remember that "image quality" very rarely doesn't translate into "quality of image".
11-08-2019, 12:05 PM - 6 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Only shoot film and have never owned a digital camera.

Phil.
11-08-2019, 12:18 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

With the cost of film now relatively high, not mainstream prices and on every corner, I feel lucky to have purchased several lenses and bodies in the 6x7 system, the quality is amazing and the results and work flow are worth the time and money to me. I still use and have lots of fun with the digital world, but given time and choice it has to be the film.
11-08-2019, 12:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The answer to your first question is: both. Most discussion on PF is about digital photography and digital gear, but many do also shoot
film.

As for the second: I personally find film to now be obsolete for my needs. I simply can not imagine willingly going back to no instant
review, having to wait for a roll to be shot before development AND the hours to weeks it might take to see the results. I've tried a few
times over the past 15 years. My beloved MX currently has a roll of Tri-X 400 loaded with 6 shots taken. It glares at me from the shelf
but I can't be bothered to take the remaining 30 shots.

That doesn't mean I'm not nostalgic about film. I loved working in the darkroom. I have binders of negatives and occasionally I'll do
some printing, (I have a cache of really old paper that was stored in a Texas shed for a couple summers, thus producing a wide range
of interesting results). I also like to use those negatives in various alternative processes, like making contact prints using organic dyes
and such.

I also greatly miss the physical qualities of those old film cameras. I am one of those who are stubbornly holding out for a genuine
digital back solution for old film cameras. It is the primary reason a keep my old MX along with a handful of other mechanical marvels
that I hope to someday use again. Fortunately, old glass isn't hampered by digital technology in the same way that bodies are and
I do get continued enjoyment from all my old film era glass.

I do appreciate others still like to shoot on film, all the power to them. But personally I have no more desire to shoot film than to
go back to listening to music on vinyl.
11-08-2019, 12:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I have a nice Pentax DSLR, but since I got back into film a few years ago, it has only been used to digitize negative. I haven’t shot any digital since that happened. I just like the Film process better.
11-08-2019, 12:27 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I shoot film & digital pretty much equally. For instance, while on Holiday I will take one film camera (K2, MZ-S or LX), my K-1 digital, and one set of primes to use on both.
I shoot only film one day, only digital the next day, 72-100 shots/day. I alternate back and forth until the vacation ends or I run out of film

For my annual calendars, I pick 6-7 film photos and 6-7 digital photos.
After someone has viewed a calendar, I ask if they could tell which photos were film or digital.

Here are links to this Year's calendar pictures:
:cool: Lets see those ''film'' shots - Page 1214 - PentaxForums.com
Post your K-1 pictures! - Page 1442 - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by Moe49; 11-08-2019 at 12:41 PM.
11-08-2019, 12:28 PM - 3 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Only shoot film and have never owned a digital camera.

Phil.
Yay Phil.

I have digital and even a bit of autofocus but there is a wonderfully satisfying feel and balance to classic film cameras and their contemporary lenses. The slower, deliberate approach has great appeal to me and suits the photography I like to do most. Yes, as mentioned, I always want to get the desired results without wasting film so I am forced to carefully consider the situation before releasing the shutter. I often think the digital medium can tempt people to start shooting before they have thought out all factors then end up deleting most of what they shot later.
AND REMEMBER...35mm film is the least expensive way to shoot "Full Frame".
11-08-2019, 12:28 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I shoot 100% film. Well, maybe 98%. I only use my digital P&S to take photos of stuff I'm selling.

I work better with limitations. For example, I look for different things when I have B&W film loaded vs color film. Taking it even further, I may shoot differently with Kodak Portra 400 vs Fuji Superia 400. I would get decision-fatigue if a digital camera was my main tool. I've also found that traveling with only a film camera is much more enjoyable. I'm more in-the-moment than looking at a tiny screen checking if I nailed the shot.

Even when I did shoot digital, I was more of a sniper than a machine gunner. So having only 36, or 12, or 8 shots available isn't such a big deal.