Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 39 Likes Search this Thread
11-08-2019, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Both.

Digital is better. Film is more fun, and I like the small M-series cameras especially. ME with SMC-M 40mm f/2.8 is practically a pocket travel camera.

11-08-2019, 12:51 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
go back to listening to music on vinyl.
Vinyl sales are surpassing CD sales this year for the first time in decades. So you may be dusting off your old turntable soon.

QuoteOriginally posted by murrelet Quote
I only use my digital P&S to take photos of stuff I'm selling.
I have access to a 10+ year old Nikon Coolpix at work that I occasionally use for the same reason, or to take photos of my camera gear. (The most irritating camera that I have ever used)

QuoteOriginally posted by From1980 Quote
AND REMEMBER...35mm film is the least expensive way to shoot "Full Frame".
Yep and medium format as well.

Phil.
11-08-2019, 01:09 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frito Quote
A question ; Are most of the members of the forum into digital photography or do many still do film? And do you consider Film to be very out dated. Just wondering what everyone thought. FRITO:
While primarily shooting digital I still use film from time to time. But when I shoot film I only use the Zenit-E at the moment, because I am independent from batteries and guessing the needed exposure settings is half the fun with it
11-08-2019, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I shoot film for the nostalgia and fun factors, and because I love the feeling of old mechanical cameras. But for mundane things and to make a few $$ here and there, I shoot digital.

Thanks,

11-08-2019, 01:48 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I shoot digital for colour and film for b&w. With b&w film, I can develop and print my shots quite cheaply in my darkroom. I do love the darkroom process. I think that if it was as cheap and easy to process colour film myself, I would probably ditch digital completely. I could then cancel my Photoshop subscription too
11-08-2019, 01:50 PM   #21

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for all your input guys. I myself have never owned a digital camera and being 13 days older than dirt would have a heck of a time trying to figure one out. So for the time being I,m gonna stick with my old ME Super that I bought in a pawn shop about 25 years ago. To me its a lot of fun to use and easy on the old brain cells.

FRITO
11-08-2019, 02:04 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Vinyl sales are surpassing CD sales this year for the first time in decades. So you may be dusting off your old turntable soon.

I am well aware, though I think this says more about the decline of CD sales than the true increase in vinyl usage. I am quite convinced the
present vinyl fad is just that, a fad. Once all these 20-30 years olds get over the novelty of vinyl, once they've moved a few crates around
when jumping from apartment to apartment in their young lives, once they tire of yet another $30 ego slab to hang on the wall and not actually
play(*), they'll hang it up and the vinyl boom will bust. Yes, there are old collectors out there too who grew up on the medium and will forever
pine for it, but I don't think they'll be able to keep the boom going by themselves, and of course, they won't live forever.

I've been delighted by the vinyl boom, as it has kept my favorite record store in business. Quite typically I am the only one flipping through
the used CD bins while a dozen 20-30 years olds and 2 or 3 old collectors flip through the vinyl. I don't mind and smile inwardly. Not only
am I picking up music for $3-$8 a title vs $20-$40 a title, but I'm also not bumping shoulders and fighting other collectors for that rare gem.
Only recently, on a visit to another record store in town, did I notice an appreciably larger group looking at CDs. An anomalous blip or a sign
folks are tired of those insane vinyl prices?

My wife has a record player and will occasionally buy some wax when we're at the record store, but I haven't purchased a vinyl record since

* - It's well documented that many present day vinyl purchases are never played, especially by young collectors. I think many of these young
collectors get a kick out of flipping through the bins and it's all a bit of a social thing for them, but they grew up on digital and push come to
shove Spotify is SO MUCH more convenient than flipping a slab. Besides, they might scratch the delicate things.

11-08-2019, 03:20 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I shoot digital but have happy memories of my film days, developing and printing B&W. It's lots of fun!
11-08-2019, 03:32 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

90% 6x7 film (Pentax)
5% 35mm film
5% digital

I have sold work from all three but much prefer to shoot the 6x7.
11-08-2019, 03:53 PM   #25

For me, it's both. I like the convenience of digital (getting instant results while learning new techniques), but really enjoy having to slow down and take my time with film. I mainly have been using my medium format cameras (Mamiya M645 and Mamiya RB67 Pro SD). Also learning how to use my wife's Pentax 6x7 MLU.
11-08-2019, 04:48 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Can you even get digital medium format the same size as the smallest common 120 frame (i.e. 6x4.5)? I know the Pentax 645z is 44x33. Phase One's XF sensor is close, maybe the same, at 54x41, but 6x7 or 6x9 are way bigger.
11-08-2019, 05:02 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was film up to the point Pentax came out with the K-1 which offered full-frame at resolutions comparable or greater than film offered. I still shoot film but 90% is now digital and the K-1 is partly to blame for that, having the same great features (and more) that my Pentax PZ-1p had.

Practically speaking, film is going to become a commodity in the not too distant future since demand for film has tanked with the advent of digital photography, particularly that available in everyone's phone these days. I'm a pragmatist in that I see film manufactures scaling back because of those falling sales, so my move to digital was partially one of realizing film would increase in cost and become less available (not to mention the availability of developing).

That said, both film and digital have their pluses and minuses and much is still to be found in either for those who choose to do so.
11-08-2019, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I called 35mm "miniature format" the other day and a few people flipped....
FULL FRAME they said.. I just chuckled

Wonder what they would do with a 4x5 camera?

--snip---snip

Phil.

---------- Post added 08-11-19 at 20:02 ----------

Agreed, the sound quality of CDs (especially the old ones) is great and it's awesome that you can buy good CDs for less than $5
I have an old technics record player and have bought a few old LPs at the Restore or GoodWill so that my kids understand the beauty and limitations of Vynil, but I'm not willing to pay $30+ for records again

In the mid 80s, CDs were supposed to command a premium over vynil to recoup the costs of remastering and yadayadayada, price never came down as it was promised....

I am well aware, though I think this says more about the decline of CD sales than the true increase in vinyl usage. I am quite convinced the
present vinyl fad is just that, a fad. Once all these 20-30 years olds get over the novelty of vinyl, once they've moved a few crates around
when jumping from apartment to apartment in their young lives, once they tire of yet another $30 ego slab to hang on the wall and not actually
play(*), they'll hang it up and the vinyl boom will bust. Yes, there are old collectors out there too who grew up on the medium and will forever
pine for it, but I don't think they'll be able to keep the boom going by themselves, and of course, they won't live forever.

I've been delighted by the vinyl boom, as it has kept my favorite record store in business. Quite typically I am the only one flipping through
the used CD bins while a dozen 20-30 years olds and 2 or 3 old collectors flip through the vinyl. I don't mind and smile inwardly. Not only
am I picking up music for $3-$8 a title vs $20-$40 a title, but I'm also not bumping shoulders and fighting other collectors for that rare gem.
Only recently, on a visit to another record store in town, did I notice an appreciably larger group looking at CDs. An anomalous blip or a sign
folks are tired of those insane vinyl prices?

My wife has a record player and will occasionally buy some wax when we're at the record store, but I haven't purchased a vinyl record since

* - It's well documented that many present day vinyl purchases are never played, especially by young collectors. I think many of these young
collectors get a kick out of flipping through the bins and it's all a bit of a social thing for them, but they grew up on digital and push come to
shove Spotify is SO MUCH more convenient than flipping a slab. Besides, they might scratch the delicate things.
11-08-2019, 06:19 PM   #29
Forum Member

My beloved MX currently has a roll of Tri-X 400 loaded with 6 shots taken. It glares at me from the shelf but I can't be bothered to take the remaining 30 shots.
My MX also has a roll of Superia 200 with only 13 shots, since 2011.
11-08-2019, 07:05 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
All of my production photography is on film. How or why is it "outdated"??
Have you been doing photography long...?