Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 39 Likes Search this Thread
11-08-2019, 09:06 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I myself dont think film is outdated thats all I shoot and I have been a photo hobbyist for about 24 years.

FRITO

11-08-2019, 09:31 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Still bust out my OM-1 from time to time. Mostly for B&W. Cost is a little bit annoying, but I still enjoy the process of capturing on analog, and the often "unrefined" results
11-08-2019, 10:02 PM   #33

Original Poster
Wow glad to see there are a lot of film shooters left in the world hope to learn some things from all of you.

FRITO
11-08-2019, 10:02 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I shot film -- all BW, Tri-X in Rodinal, in my own darkroom -- for years until one day in 2005 I bought a digital body (a 20d) to go on my Canon lenses. That was the end of that for film, though I have never gotten rid of my film equipment because I delude myself that I'm going to start shooting with it again, soon.

11-08-2019, 10:18 PM - 2 Likes   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Practically speaking, film is going to become a commodity in the not too distant future since demand for film has tanked with the advent of digital photography, particularly that available in everyone's phone these days. I'm a pragmatist in that I see film manufactures scaling back because of those falling sales, so my move to digital was partially one of realizing film would increase in cost and become less available (not to mention the availability of developing).
You're a few years behind -- film usage has increased in recent years. Kodak sold 30% more film in 2019 than 2018. Film tanked about 10 years or so ago, but then it got revived by Lomography (more or less) and now there are a good number of people shooting it.
11-08-2019, 10:29 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Yeah, film use is actually on the rise.
11-09-2019, 01:14 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I still shoot film. Getting it developed is harder these days, but I have my own tanks and reels and I can still find chemicals. I scan the negatives on an Epson V750. I do shoot a lot of digital as well.

11-09-2019, 02:07 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mostly medium and large format, for serious work.. I only use 35mm film for mucking about now. I still have three clients who prefer 8X10 negatives.
11-09-2019, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Shoot both (80% digital; 20% digital). I use film for Black and white as I feel that the grain characteristics are unique for film. Color is mostly digital.
11-09-2019, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
I called 35mm "miniature format" the other day and a few people flipped....
FULL FRAME they said.. I just chuckled

Wonder what they would do with a 4x5 camera?

[COLOR="Silver"]
4x5? You mean “quarter sheet”, don’t you?

Isn’t 11x14 inch sheet film the original ‘full frame’?

-Eric
11-09-2019, 08:39 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
sn’t 11x14 inch sheet film the original ‘full frame’?
11X14 is more commonly referred to as full plate. 5X7 is half plate.
11-09-2019, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
That’s it...

So 4x5 is small, but not quite miniature...

How things change

-Eric
11-09-2019, 10:01 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
That was it! Full and Half plate!

I remember in the old Ansel Adams books the mention of miniature format.... I guess that will make millenials cry
11-09-2019, 12:24 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
I am quite convinced the
present vinyl fad is just that, a fad. Once all these 20-30 years olds get over the novelty of vinyl, once they've moved a few crates around
when jumping from apartment to apartment in their young lives, once they tire of yet another $30 ego slab to hang on the wall and not actually
play(*), they'll hang it up and the vinyl boom will bust. Yes, there are old collectors out there too who grew up on the medium and will forever
pine for it, but I don't think they'll be able to keep the boom going by themselves, and of course, they won't live forever.
Agreed, the sound quality of CDs (especially the old ones) is great and it's awesome that you can buy good CDs for less than $5
I have an old technics record player and have bought a few old LPs at the Restore or GoodWill so that my kids understand the beauty and limitations of Vynil, but I'm not willing to pay $30+ for records again

In the mid 80s, CDs were supposed to command a premium over vynil to recoup the costs of remastering and yadayadayada, price never came down as it was promised....
We have numerous record stores here in Vancouver and used vintage vinyl is about 80-90% of the sales. Each store has some of the expensive new LP releases, but buying/selling used LPs is their main business.

You can get (as well as online) gently used/NOS LP's from decades ago, for a reasonable price. I also buy some new LPs of either old re-releases or new material, but I like the sound of the older vinyl better.

These stores also carry some new/used CDs, but it's vinyl here in Vancouver that's the big seller. We get lots of tourists coming here to visit these stores.

Same goes for film shooters, lots here in Vancouver as well as in the Pacific Northwest, like Seattle & Portland.

Phil.
11-09-2019, 12:32 PM   #45
Veteran Member

That was it! Full and Half plate!

I remember in the old Ansel Adams books the mention of miniature format.... I guess that will make millenials cry
*Ansel Adams looking at my Micro 4/3rds sensor* You take pictures with that?