Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 39 Likes Search this Thread
11-12-2019, 12:34 AM - 2 Likes   #61
Veteran Member

Prolific film shooter here from when the OM1 was new. Moved to digital around the turn of the century primarily for the web as a pro but now gone back to film. Its more thoughtful, more hands on, the film cameras have a sould which is lacking in any digital I have used.
Was out last weekend shooting a Minolta SRT and what a joy it was. Aim the camera, watch the meter needle and compose, no beeping, no distracting flashy lights, read the scene, weigh up whether the meter reading makes sense and press the shutter. Lovely.

11-12-2019, 01:33 AM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

using both.
If film and processing isnt as expensive as it is now, will likely be 50-50 between both.

I don't know, i am unable to explain, but, when snapping images of humans, very much prefer film images.

Film images probably less sharp, less detailed, maybe somewhat not that crystal clear, but, it just has that "feel" about it that i am unable to quite explain it

I appreciate digital photography and the convenience and "you have many second third xx chances" that comes with it.

But i also love film for that "feel" it gives, especially for portraiture.

And cuz i grew up using film (was using a FM2 and then a EOS300), i still shoot as if using film, even when using DSLR.

Last edited by termy; 11-12-2019 at 08:04 AM.
11-12-2019, 01:45 AM - 1 Like   #63
Forum Member

I shoot film only. Started photography as a hobby around 1990 and shortly after went to school to study it. When digital came to be a thing, I could never really bond with it. Early digi cameras were more like point-and-shoots and the 'professional' models were battery eating bulky plastic monsters... a far cry from something so lovely as a Spotmatic or SV. When film dried up for a while, I stopped taking photos for a bit, but later learned to buy film in bulk and load it up myself. These days, I find it very nice to use film and then scan negs, instead of making prints in a darkroom. Though, been thinking lately that I might shake the dust out of the darkroom, too. I miss the smell. Digital photography seems fine for getting images, but that process is too sterile... lacks soul. There's just something sweet about the mechanical bits and chemistry that feels like what photography SHOULD be... for sure I'm old fashioned. Whatever makes you happy, I guess.
11-12-2019, 03:00 AM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Use both, but receive greater satisfaction from film. There is a delight in holding a metal camera that works as well today as when it was made. In fact since one can update the "sensor" in a film camera, it can work even better than new.
Using a film camera is like holding a crafted tool meant to last, while digital cameras are appliances, soon dated and with a limited life. Finally, there is the tangible factor in actually being able to hold the raw data in your hand, knowing that the photons that hit the emulsion came from the subject - something that may give a little more meaning to a picture of a departed love one..

11-12-2019, 03:13 AM - 1 Like   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I haven't shot film for over ten years, but I still hang onto my 67s because I just love the look of the tranaparencies or negatives they produce, and I still hope to get back to using them some day. The problem is the cost - when I last shot film, it const about GBP1 per exposure for trannies, I forget for negative film -which is doable for occasional shooting, but I'd also have to replace my aging scanner to get prints (as I don't have darkroom equipment - I used to shoot Velvia and get Cibachrome prints done commercially) or show online - so it's all just too much expense and bother at the moment when there are so many demands on time and money
11-12-2019, 11:52 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
Prolific film shooter here from when the OM1 was new. Moved to digital around the turn of the century primarily for the web as a pro but now gone back to film. Its more thoughtful, more hands on, the film cameras have a sould which is lacking in any digital I have used.
Was out last weekend shooting a Minolta SRT and what a joy it was. Aim the camera, watch the meter needle and compose, no beeping, no distracting flashy lights, read the scene, weigh up whether the meter reading makes sense and press the shutter. Lovely.

Gotta love the OM1
11-12-2019, 01:14 PM   #67
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Frito Quote
Digital or Film
Digital now for all work stuff... film just now and again for personal projects and to just keep my hand in.

11-12-2019, 04:19 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I wish I could even think about re-establishing my own darkroom. When I shot film, prior to buying my first digital Pentax (a *istD) the vast majority of it was bulk-loaded B&W negative, that I used to D&P myself. Colour negative was for special occasions, and reversal for very special ones, simply because of the cost.

Having recently retired, cost is probably less of an issue than when I had a young family, but I’d still like to shoot mostly B&W. After the rest of the house and garden is refurbished (and my old Light Fifteen restored) I might think about a darkroom: until then, digital will do nicely, thank you.
Why not I develop everything I shoot from black n white to color, only thing I haven't tried is E-6 but this winter I will .Long live FILM .But I shoot digital too. Still I love the Old Film Cameras, just the feel is so kool.
11-12-2019, 05:17 PM   #69
Pentaxian

very much digital but feel I have learned enough to venture into film...so much so I have started a 'collection' older film bodies...….the only roll I have gotten developed thus far is ektar100 film run through a yashicaflex TLR but have several rolls going through a kodak retina Ia, yashica lynx-5000, pentax ME and pentax zx-L.....

would like at some point try larger format like a graflex
11-12-2019, 05:41 PM - 1 Like   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
very much digital but feel I have learned enough to venture into film...so much so I have started a 'collection' older film bodies...….the only roll I have gotten developed thus far is ektar100 film run through a yashicaflex TLR but have several rolls going through a kodak retina Ia, yashica lynx-5000, pentax ME and pentax zx-L.....

would like at some point try larger format like a graflex
You gotta develop your own, that is where it is at.
11-12-2019, 05:46 PM   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
You gotta develop your own, that is where it is at.
that we be great but currently have no space to do so.....purdy much don't even have room for the small collection I have going on!!
11-12-2019, 05:49 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Speaking of developing, I find Mpix to be the best bang for buck on C41 FYI
11-13-2019, 04:47 AM   #73

I shoot mostly film and mostly B/W.

There are two cameras that allow me to go straight to the business of creating a photo. They are the Pentax 1000 SE and the Nikon FE.

I find they are the 'goldilocks' cameras. No unnecessary bells and whistles, just enough controls that connect you to the film. The deliberate consideration of each frame, the sound of the shutter and winding on the next frame make me feel more connected to my photography.

When I use my digital camera it is with vintage manual focus prime lenses. I have the benefit of digital technology but the manual focus lenses slow me down a little to a more comfortable speed.
11-13-2019, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #74
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, you're in the stomping grounds of (film section) of the folks around here that'll certainly skew your question's results (like me).
I grew up on film. Switched to digital around 2000 and then went back to film part time around 2011, then switched almost entirely back to it in 2014.

I shoot digital for wildlife photos and mundane snapshots and product photos. I shoot film for everything else. And strangely/luckily, I'm the opposite of most here apparently, in that all my paid work of the past 5 years has been film. I've been lucky enough to get gigs from clients (mostly friends and other word-of-mouth) who understand what I do and how I like to do it, so film and a more "reasonable" turn-around is accepted and appreciated for the end-result.

They're very different animals at the end of the day. I vastly prefer shooting film for reasons that would be too long and tedious to get into (again).
11-15-2019, 12:50 AM   #75
Veteran Member

Leumas, yep I have a passion for the OM1 but, and am going off topic here, I recently picked up a Minolta XD for a song and verily I have come to love it like life itself.