Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
6 Days Ago   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Replacement for 2CR5 dual 3V lithium battery

Sooo, the dual 3V lithium 2CR5 batteries are becoming extremely expensive (ZAR 250) and hard to find, and I still love my PZ-1p. What to do?

Unfortunately the PZ-1p never had a battery grip so that limits the options of sorting out something using 5 1.2V rechargeables. I managed to find a small 6V lead-acid battery (ZAR 120) which I experimented with. Here is how I went about getting it to work with my PZ-1p. I am not a camera repair technician or an electronic engineer. Please don't complain or try to sue me if this does not work for you.

Step 1: break the cells out of the 2CR5 battery housing. Make sure to keep some of the attachment strips intact.
Step 2: Put the battery housing into the battery compartment, close the cover. and drill two holes through both so that they line up. I used a 3.5mm drill bit.
Step 3: Take the battery housing out and thread two cable through and solder them to the attachment point. You will need a soldering iron and solder. Make sure you get your colour coding right for the positive and negative contacts. I tried to drill a 1mm hole through the metal strips but this did not work.
Step 4: Put the battery housing back into the battery compartment and thread the cable through the holes in the battery compartment cover.
Step 5: Close the battery compartment cover.
Step 6: Strip the ends of the cables and do a quick check directly on the new 6V battery terminals. Try not to shock yourself etc.
Step 7: Make up a set of flyleads with shielded terminals. YOu will need cable, shielded connectors and a crimping tool. I made a set about 1m long so that I can keep the 6V battery in my pocket and still have enough length to shoot comfortably. The intermediate terminals are so that I can separate the camera body from the battery for storage, and also not waste cable if I ever have to repair the solder joints on the old battery housing.
Step 8: Connect it all up and test. You can see that the LCD display on the camera body is alive.

The photos show each of the steps. Hopefully they end up in order but I have named them in sequence.

The total cost of the job was about ZAR 200 (USD 13) which is less than the cost of one 2CR5 battery.

Again, this worked for me, it may not work for everyone.

Attached Images

6 Days Ago   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can still find them pretty reasonably priced, particularly given the longevity of the batteries.

Panasonic 2CR5 Lithium Battery (6 Volt)
6 Days Ago   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another approach:

Recharge-i-fy Your 2CR5 Battery: 5 Steps (with Pictures)
6 Days Ago   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As they say, where there's will, there's a way.