Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2019, 06:58 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Curious to hear more about this.
Obviously the MX has no aperture priority, interchangeable viewfinders and TTL flash. These were not useful?
None of the LX advanced features were of any use for sports photography in bad lighting. The MX had a brighter viewfinder. The 1/75th of a second top flash sync. speed made the TTL flash of the LX totally useless for quickly moving subjects, and of limited use for events. I spent nearly $1,800 on the LX with FA-1, motor drive LX and battery pack LX. I ended up using my Super Program and 3.5 FPS motor for sports and the LX sat as a backup. Finally, I replaced them all with a trio of PZ-1p’s. Those cameras have a superb TTL flash system allowing 1/250th sync, in camera flash compensation and many more useful items. The weak link in the PZ-1p is the Seiko shutter. Good thing I purchased all my bodies new with the 4 year extended warranty. All needed shutter replacement at least once, one twice. Plus the mirror return mechanism broke in two of three. Now you know why all Pentax SLRs after the PZ series have a top flash sync speed of 1/180th.

PS, my only current film camera is a nearly perfect condition Super Program with MEII winder I scored for under $60. I’m going to add an MX when I find one at the right price.

11-22-2019, 08:50 AM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
None of the LX advanced features were of any use for sports photography in bad lighting. The MX had a brighter viewfinder. The 1/75th of a second top flash sync. speed made the TTL flash of the LX totally useless for quickly moving subjects, and of limited use for events. I spent nearly $1,800 on the LX with FA-1, motor drive LX and battery pack LX. I ended up using my Super Program and 3.5 FPS motor for sports and the LX sat as a backup. Finally, I replaced them all with a trio of PZ-1pís. Those cameras have a superb TTL flash system allowing 1/250th sync, in camera flash compensation and many more useful items. The weak link in the PZ-1p is the Seiko shutter. Good thing I purchased all my bodies new with the 4 year extended warranty. All needed shutter replacement at least once, one twice. Plus the mirror return mechanism broke in two of three. Now you know why all Pentax SLRs after the PZ series have a top flash sync speed of 1/180th.

PS, my only current film camera is a nearly perfect condition Super Program with MEII winder I scored for under $60. Iím going to add an MX when I find one at the right price.
I have found the LX shutter speed is more than fast enough to freeze my subject especially in lowlight situations and is bright enough with fast glass attached.
I am relatively new to film photography and film developing and scanning so there are quite a few limitations compared to my Canon 6D and Canon flashes with fast sync but I have learned to adapt, it's a bit more work but I have captured some nice shots with both my LX and Super ME as they are.
It would be nice if they both had 1/250 sync for versatility sake but I can think of a couple other things that would make them better as well like exposure lock and different metering options.
At some point I will probably add to my collection a MX as well and a Super Program
11-22-2019, 06:04 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Historically, Iíve liked doing events by dragging the shutter and leaning on the TTL for the flash. Indoors, that works great with the lower shutter speeds. Auto flash, like with the MX, isnít as reliable in changing conditions.

When shooting with automated cameras, Iíd use manual exposure to get a nice difference from the flash.

The LX is a little overkill for how I like to shoot...

-Eric
11-22-2019, 07:49 PM   #34

I had wondered why Pentax didn’t put 1/250th sync on later cameras after having done it on the PZ1.
I also wondered why, after making said cameras with full lens compatibility (with or without aperture ring) they proceeded to use a crippled mount on all the bodies. But that’s probably been discussed to death.

11-22-2019, 08:14 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ERNR Quote
I also wondered why, after making said cameras with full lens compatibility (with or without aperture ring) they proceeded to use a crippled mount on all the bodies. But thatís probably been discussed to death.
It has
I would use the little animated dead horse beating emoticon, but I don't know how...

But it's the internet, and it's raffle time, so you might as well reopen the worm box, so to speak...

-Eric
11-22-2019, 10:46 PM   #36
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Put the worm box back in the truck, next to the fishing rods. No need to re-hash this, it was all decided over 10 years ago.
03-24-2021, 08:18 PM   #37

Photos: Gallery | Albums
He only thing that I didn't like of the MX I used to own was that when I wanted to dial up or down shutter speeds, I had to use to fingers instead of one, like I was able to do with a Nikon FM that was loaned to me. I suspect the shutter speed detents of the dial were to hard due to design.

03-26-2021, 12:00 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My first camera was a Pentax SP1000, bought used. The MX was my second, also bought used. I sold it when I stepped up to a new LX. Should have kept it. I bought a Super A a year later as a backup. The MX would have worked well in that role.
03-26-2021, 12:14 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by j0n4hpk Quote
He only thing that I didn't like of the MX I used to own was that when I wanted to dial up or down shutter speeds, I had to use to fingers instead of one, like I was able to do with a Nikon FM that was loaned to me. I suspect the shutter speed detents of the dial were to hard due to design.
IMO they should have made the shutter speed knob at least 5mm higher on the MX. Then it would be significantly easier to access I guess.