Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2019, 01:23 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I had an MX for a while, but I sold it when I bought my LX. It was a great camera.

Last year I bought an MX on auction. It was advertised as having a slight light meter problem but turned out to be a real piece of clapped out junk. Everything is broken, even the DOF preview /self-timer lever doesn't work. It came with an SMC Pentax a 50mm f/1.7 so I kept it.

11-15-2019, 07:44 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Honestly I don't like loading film into my MX either. I haven't run that many rolls through it, maybe 10, so I may get better at it with time. I find the take up spool tedious to get the film leader into well enough to safely advance the film. This is not my experience with my Ricoh XR7, Singlex TLS, or Chinon CE-5. I am not sure why this is the case. I try to load by inserting the leader first and then dragging the cassette across the camera body to the well on the left side of the camera.
11-15-2019, 09:20 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Honestly I don't like loading film into my MX either. I haven't run that many rolls through it, maybe 10, so I may get better at it with time. I find the take up spool tedious to get the film leader into well enough to safely advance the film. This is not my experience with my Ricoh XR7, Singlex TLS, or Chinon CE-5. I am not sure why this is the case. I try to load by inserting the leader first and then dragging the cassette across the camera body to the well on the left side of the camera.

Loading film in the MX - and others with this system, is very different but easy. I got used to it quickly enough by making sure the leader is in there 1/2 inch (or more), pull the film across and put it in the take up spool. Only thing making it "hard" is that this is backward sequence to all those cameras you listed.
11-15-2019, 09:27 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That sequence works fine for those other cameras and I have no issues loading film in them. My issue with them MX is getting the leader into the take-up spool. It's very hard to get the film more than a few millimeters into the spool on my copy in my experience. My camera is currently in storage so I can't play around with it right now; when it's back and I have time I'll have to play around with it, maybe make a video showing my issues.

11-15-2019, 12:47 PM   #20
Pentaxian

If it's an effort at all to slide the film leader in then there maybe something else wrong?
11-15-2019, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

As the article states, it is he second in a series he is writing on the camera. This one was focused on a more traditional functional review. His first article, which is far more subjective is here:

The Pentax MX & doing the "one camera" thing to aid a lack of inspiration - 35mmc
11-16-2019, 08:08 AM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
If it's an effort at all to slide the film leader in then there maybe something else wrong?
When I got my Super Program years ago (which uses the same takeup spool as the MX), it took me a while to get used to the film loading scheme. It’s just weird compared to the earlier cameras. If you only shoot with it occasionally, it will stay weird. If you use it all the time, the others will seem weird...

-Eric

11-16-2019, 08:11 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the links!

The MX is my primary 35mm SLR that I keep ready to go. My 50/1.2 (original K version) lives on it most of the time. I’ve had it now for over 20 years and has never failed me; I just had it CLA’d by Eric a few months ago and it’ll serve well for at least another 20 years. With the winder bolted on, it fits perfectly in my hands and the shutter speed/aperture info in the large viewfinder is all I need.

Last edited by cobbu2; 11-16-2019 at 08:35 AM.
11-21-2019, 05:51 AM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I owned two MX’s and the rare 5 FPS motor drive MX. Over the decade of the 1990’s I shot hundreds of high school and community sports with the MX’s. They were great, reliable cameras with the best viewfinders I’ve ever experienced. Both cameras required film drive rebuilds by Pentax, that 5 FPS motor was hard on them. Never had a shutter issue with either of them. I replaced the MX pair with an LX, a camera which , in my opinion, did not live up to the MX in any way.
11-21-2019, 04:11 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
I replaced the MX pair with an LX, a camera which , in my opinion, did not live up to the MX in any way.
I'm inclined to agree. I have a serviced MX and serviced LX, and as capable as the LX is I think the MX trumps is for the basic shooting experience.
11-21-2019, 06:13 PM   #26

I don't have any experience with the MX I have a Super ME and an LX but may well add an MX to my collection.

Curious though as to whether the MX focus Screens (grid) would be able to be used in the LX and vice-versa since from what I gather they have similarities.
11-21-2019, 11:05 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by repentaxer Quote
I don't have any experience with the MX I have a Super ME and an LX but may well add an MX to my collection.

Curious though as to whether the MX focus Screens (grid) would be able to be used in the LX and vice-versa since from what I gather they have similarities.
This link answer's your question:

Pentax Focusing Screens | The K-Mount Page

Phil.
11-21-2019, 11:13 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
I replaced the MX pair with an LX, a camera which , in my opinion, did not live up to the MX in any way.
Curious to hear more about this.
Obviously the MX has no aperture priority, interchangeable viewfinders and TTL flash. These were not useful?
11-22-2019, 02:22 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
This link answer's your question:

Pentax Focusing Screens | The K-Mount Page

Phil.
Thank you Phil
11-22-2019, 03:24 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Curious to hear more about this.
Obviously the MX has no aperture priority, interchangeable viewfinders and TTL flash. These were not useful?
I'm curious, too...

Though I'm somewhat on the same page... I guess having grown up mostly with a K1000, aperture priority was a luxury.
But I do wish the MX had TTL flash... that is so handy for event photography...
And I got my Super Program because sometimes it's nice to put the camera to your eye and have the exposure right...
Dang, i've just put myself in a circle again between what I think I want and what I really want...

-Eric