Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2019, 11:18 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Source for LX mirror pad set?

I recall having seen somewhere that there is someone selling sets of the pads needed to replace the original set responsible of the usual "sticky mirror syndrome", but can't seem to locate a source. Does anyone happen to know where these could be purchased?

Thanks!

11-14-2019, 12:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Jon Goodman is probably the man you need. Do a search for him on here and you will find his email.
11-14-2019, 07:26 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think that Jon has been providing light seals, and 'sticky mirror' is caused by sticky bumper of the mirror. Having said that, I'd love to find a remedy, as I have the same problem with my LX.
11-14-2019, 08:09 AM   #4

I seem to recall that the mirror bumpers on the LX are a bit more complicated to remove and install than most other cameras. Jon Goodman includes detailed and illustrated instructions with his kits.

11-14-2019, 09:14 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I definitely need to check his offer, but I wonder if we talk about the same 'bumper'. I suspect that Jon Goodman's kit contains upper mirror bumper - in fact light seal near focusing screen. However, 'sticky mirror' is caused by sticky lower bumper - this is very small piece of rubber which stops downward movement of the mirror. If you have any information or experience with it, please let us know how to fix our cameras
11-14-2019, 09:48 AM   #6

The kits contain all the pads/bumpers you need:
[PSA for LX owners] Jon Goodman now sells a LX light seal kit - PentaxForums.com
11-14-2019, 10:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Jons the man for bumpers and seals, his kits rock.

11-14-2019, 11:25 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I might note that Jon is a member here at Pentax Forums and will likely respond to private message through this site.

Jon Goodman - View Profile - PentaxForums.com

Steve
11-14-2019, 12:56 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The instructions didn't seem to include the mirror rest that fiddlefye is looking for. Until you find a source, put a small square of scotch magic tape over the sticky rubber. Not a real solution, but it works.
11-14-2019, 03:34 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
The instructions didn't seem to include the mirror rest that fiddlefye is looking for.
That's the point - as far as I can tell 'mirror rest' is not mentioned anywhere in Jon Goodman's manual. Thanks for the tip with scotch magic tape
11-14-2019, 04:58 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes, Mr.Goodmans kits, while excellent, do not include the mirror rests. There is a guy on ebay in the uk that focuses on fixing the LX sticky mirror.
11-14-2019, 07:49 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My tech will be dealing with any installation and has done these before, but I was thinking if we could find exactly the right materials it would make the job easier in the long term. Thanks for the info!
11-15-2019, 06:41 AM   #13

Have you contacted Jon Goodman? He may have updated the kit as the cited post is over five years old.
11-15-2019, 09:03 PM   #14

Hello I am a new LX owner I did not really have the sticky bumper problem but heard about and researched it and tried one solution that was simple and relatively easy, I also had the materials necessary including lighted headset magnifier.
It involves dry lube which is graphite powder it will adhere to sticky parts of the rubber stops apply with sponge type swabs or regular cotton swabs a little at a time till it builds up. I also put some tape on the back part of bumper to catch any stray powder.

Thanks "Not a Number" for the Jon Goodman info. My LX had kind of hack job done on the upper mirror damper it was all one piece of open cell foam that was dissolving. The LX has interchangeable focus screen so the middle part cannot be obstructed.

Anyway I picked it all out with various tools and decided replaced it in two pieces on either side of the focus screen catch with sticky back 3mm thick felt I cut and freed of stray fibers with a blower. I then heated an x-acto knife to melt the fibers on the frayed edges then placed with precision tweezers without taking anything apart.

Jon has it right it is not for the faint of heart or of shaky hands.

The seals on the back cover are of a heavy think rubber foam I believe is supposed to be waterproof (water resistant more likely) so you really don't want to use regular open cell foam although you certainly could.

Edit: Eric at pentaxs com would probably have the info you need he specializes in Pentax SLR's You may want to consider emailing or sending it to him for an evaluation. If you do end up replacing them yourself and they are off a bit so will your focus. He can CLA it, doubt it is cheap for the LX

Last edited by repentaxer; 11-15-2019 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Additional information