Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2019, 01:37 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh KR-10

Hey all -- I was given a Ricoh KR-10 35mm camera by a friend, and it seems to be in pretty good shape (I haven't run film through it, but will do so soon). I never really knew much about Ricoh cameras, and I'm curious as to how the General Wisdom says they stack up to Pentax and other film SLRs. Thanks!

11-15-2019, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've moved this to the Pentax Film SLR forum. Although it's a Ricoh, in the context of the site it's valid here and will be more visible
11-15-2019, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Autonerd Quote
I never really knew much about Ricoh cameras, and I'm curious as to how the General Wisdom says they stack up to Pentax and other film SLRs. Thanks!
Your camera will likely need to have its seals and mirror bumper replaced, simply due to the nature of used cameras. As for comparison to other cameras in the late 1970s to mid-1980s, the Ricoh line was well-respected and considered to be a quality K-mount option equivalent to Pentax in most regards. The flagship models were similarly priced to those from Pentax, though Ricoh had more extensive down-market offerings. Your KR-10 was derived from the flagship XR-2s model with which it shares most features. I own the XR-2s and have found mine to be a robust and dependable camera.* The closest Pentax model to your camera would be the Pentax ME Super or Pentax K2.

Plus points for your camera include:
  • Robust electronically-controlled Copal shutter with single 1/90s full-mechanical speed
  • Aperture priority automation + metered manual
  • Polycarbonate shell over metal chassis build. (By comparison, many other cameras of the time in the same price class (e.g. Canon AE-1 and others) were built with plastic covers over plastic chassis.)
  • Nice viewfinder display including combination split-image/microprism focus aides
  • Accepts Ricoh XR Winder I
  • High value when sold new

Minus points:
  • Lower feature level than flagship models
  • Manual metering is a little cumbersome
  • Some would prefer metal top/bottom covers

I hope this help.

Steve

* To be honest, the XR-2s is my go-to film body.

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-15-2019 at 12:57 PM.
11-15-2019, 10:38 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My first "real" camera was a Kr-10, which I still have. Used it through many classes at the Boulder Photo Center, back in the early 90s:

Welcome to the Boulder Photo Center

11-16-2019, 01:18 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
[*]Manual metering is a little cumbersome
Yeah, that holding-the-button-down thing takes some getting used to.
11-24-2019, 06:31 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My first film camera was a Sears KSX, a rebadged KR-10. I shot thousands of frames with it. My chief gripes with the camera was the hold down to meter/match needle system and a rather dim viewfinder. They are well built, durable cameras.