Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-19-2019, 05:41 PM   #1
Pentaxian

KX repairing question

I got a used KX and it got minor problem wonder how hard or easy to fix. Those are common problem in old film camera, namely mirror damping foam rotten and sticky, and dirt in the prism. I planned to replace the foam with nylon material like the “loop side” of the Velcro so that will not melt and sticky, but don't know how difficult to open up the top and clean the dirt, can anyone shed some light ?

11-19-2019, 06:45 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
I got a used KX and it got minor problem wonder how hard or easy to fix. Those are common problem in old film camera, namely mirror damping foam rotten and sticky, and dirt in the prism. I planned to replace the foam with nylon material like the “loop side” of the Velcro so that will not melt and sticky, but don't know how difficult to open up the top and clean the dirt, can anyone shed some light ?
There are service manuals floating around online for a couple of the K-series bodies.
Here, I think: http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/mf/mfmanuals.htm
No, that's the owner's manual...
Here's the K1000, which is mechanically similar...
http://www.pentax-manuals.com/markroberts/k1000_man.pdf

The foam isn't really just melting... it's a long-term degradation.
I would suggest you replace the foam with foam meant for that.
I've heard good things about John Goodman's foam sets, though I've never tried them, and that would give you all the other seals as well.

The nylon "carpet" may seem like the best choice now, but when it starts fraying and you get little black threads all over your focusing screen instead of little black foam specks, it may not make you happy

Remember, too, that the specks don't impact the photo, even if they do drive you up the wall...
And make sure they are actual debris and not mirror desilvering. That can't be easily fixed without a new prism...

-Eric

Last edited by TwoUptons; 11-19-2019 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Added links...
11-20-2019, 04:52 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello,
I have never opened a KX but I have taken apart K1000s which are similar. The key is to use correct JIS screwdrivers. Regular phillips screwdrivers can damage the screws.
At least in the K1000 The prism is held in place by 2 set screws and retaining springs. The springs can put up a good fight when putting back together and may like to fly into the 7th oblivion dimension. Be very careful and gentle especially when handling the prism. If it is "desilvering" (loosing silver reflective coatings) there is really nothing to do about it other than put it back together or get another prism. Do not over-tighten the set screws as it can chip the prism. Make a note on the set screws as these are used to center the prism. I'd loosen only one and note how many turns.

Here is a link to my latest K1000 adventure:
Will try to revive a beaten K1000 - PentaxForums.com

And here is a link to a YouTube video. I used this video (and many others) as reference.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
11-20-2019, 06:43 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank guys for the info., take a closer look my KX does not have de-silvering only dust inside the prism, my K3 seems to have more of that ha ! I decided to leave it there only to replace the foam. Btw after playing around with the KX, Super A and K3, I found it is quite hard to manual focus with zoom lens after addicted to digital AF for so many years, especially with a dark OVF. I did take some nice film photos with MF back in the old days, and I will surely do it again, may be with a roll of CineStill and a good prime lens such as the Pentacon 30mm/f3.5. I found that with a heavy body like the KX, in order to reduce camera shake a relatively heavy lens should be used, such as the Samyang 85/1.4, so that the vibration will be absorbed and greatly reduced, but wait a minute I need battery for the KX, what is the substitute for that discontinued mercury cell ?

11-20-2019, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The KX doesn't use 1.35V mercury cells. It uses S76 1.5V
You can use LR44 as a replacement. Still easy to find.
11-20-2019, 07:15 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
May be I mixed up with other model for the battery, thanks !
11-20-2019, 05:06 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’ve never had an issue with camera shake on the KX outside of the normal too-slow shutter speed variety...

It seems a pretty stable platform otherwise, with a shutter release that is easy to press without being touchy...

-Eric

11-21-2019, 08:27 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ismael, the KX is very similar to the K1000 but way better

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,
I have never opened a KX but I have taken apart K1000s which are similar. The key is to use correct JIS screwdrivers. Regular phillips screwdrivers can damage the screws.
At least in the K1000 The prism is held in place by 2 set screws and retaining springs. The springs can put up a good fight when putting back together and may like to fly into the 7th oblivion dimension. Be very careful and gentle especially when handling the prism. If it is "desilvering" (loosing silver reflective coatings) there is really nothing to do about it other than put it back together or get another prism. Do not over-tighten the set screws as it can chip the prism. Make a note on the set screws as these are used to center the prism. I'd loosen only one and note how many turns.

Here is a link to my latest K1000 adventure:
Will try to revive a beaten K1000 - PentaxForums.com

And here is a link to a YouTube video. I used this video (and many others) as reference.
Fix Old Cameras: K1000 Top Cover and Prism Removal - YouTube

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
11-24-2019, 12:25 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I’ve never had an issue with camera shake on the KX outside of the normal too-slow shutter speed variety...

It seems a pretty stable platform otherwise, with a shutter release that is easy to press without being touchy...
This is something I didn't appreciate until shooting with a Ricoh KR-10 last week... hard to say for sure (no instrumented testing) but the Ricoh seem to vibrate more when you fire the shutter than the KX does. Maybe the KX's heavy construction has enough inertia to resist the motion of the moving parts?
11-24-2019, 06:31 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
The KX doesn't use 1.35V mercury cells. It uses S76 1.5V
You can use LR44 as a replacement. Still easy to find.

44, 76 and 357 1.5V silver cells all fit and work perfectly.
This was the standard size for most cameras in those days.

Chris
11-24-2019, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

I would go for a seal kit from Jon Goodman. They arent expensive and his door seals are much easier to install. I bought a set off eBay when I didnt know better and the foam degraded within 6 months and nearly caused a complete disaster as the mirror bumper degraded and turned to tar. It could have destroyed the focus screen. After that it was Jons stuff all the way.

I have yet to take the top off a KX but when you get inside there are two screws that hold the prism in place. Do not mess with these as they control prism alignment. If you take the prism out ony undo one of these screws and make a note of how many turns to get it out and reverse this when you put it back.
11-27-2019, 04:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jon Goodman is awesome, and so are his kits. If you're feeling particularly cheap, this stuff has worked great in a number of Konica SLRs I've refoamed/rebumpered. I just carefully cut to fit slightly over sized, test fit with tweezer and then trim until perfect. Self-adhesive on one side. No real longevity claims here, but at least four cameras are going just fine after the better part of 2 years.

amazon.com: Darice 2mm Sticky Back Foamie Sheets, 9 by 12-Inch, Black: Arts, Crafts & Sewing?tag=pentaxforums-20&
12-19-2019, 08:35 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Get replacement light seal kits. They're inexpensive, they work, and they'll last you 20 years or more. Don't hack it, do it right.

Charles.