Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2019, 07:17 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Article link: IMPERFECT, BUT POCKETABLE

My inbox has been receiving more Pentax-related film photography info in the past couple weeks. 35mmc usually posts short but interesting articles and photos about film photography from all makes/models and by multiple writers. Here's the latest one.

THE PENTAX-M 40MM F/2.8 AND PENTAX MX – IMPERFECT, BUT POCKETABLE!

Discuss!

11-25-2019, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Interesting that you posted this right now, as I am currently running a roll of film through a Pentax ME (first time) and a 40mm 2.8 (first time). I haven't finished yet, so don't have a verdict, but I would say my feelings match up so far with those of the author of the article.

In some brief testing on my DSLR the 40mm wasn't particularly good, and my first thought was the same as the author, why not just use the 50mm as it's almost the same size and really good? But the 40mm focal length is a little bit better in my eyes, and I can fit the camera and the lens in a little fannypack

We'll see how the scans look after I'm finished.
11-25-2019, 09:05 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Snapppy Quote
Pentax ME (first time) and a 40mm 2.8 (first time)
Sailling a similar boat, using a DA40HD on a MZ-m for the first time, I really like it on APS but it takes longer with film so see the results
11-25-2019, 10:18 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the M40/2.8 and it's pretty sharp at middle apertures. It pairs nicely with my ME, though I've also used it with my heavier K Series bodies.

The 49mm Pentax rubber hood is a must.

Phil.

11-25-2019, 10:20 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Went through a pancake phase a little while ago. Personally, I prefer the Chinon 45mm F2.8. Sold all my pancakes and immediately after selling the Chinon, had buyers regret and bought a 2nd copy. The knobs on the focusing ring are slightly more raised and a smidge wider so it's less slippery to focus.
11-25-2019, 10:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Never got on with that one. If the handling were better I'd forgive its lackluster rendering. If the rendering were better I'd overlook its clumsy handling.
For quite a while the FA43 has been the weapon-of-choice for this sort of size-consideration application. Best of all worlds.
11-25-2019, 10:50 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a JJC knock-off of the DA 40 Ltd hood on my M 40 f2.8. Works very well on my film cameras. I find it to be okay but I wish it was faster. I do like the focal length on 35mm; it's great for candids and street shooting. I like the idea of taking it out on city streets, f8 and be there, and let one of my automatic exposure cameras deal with that end so I can point & shoot without any effort at all. That said, the handling is so fiddly that I prefer my M 35 f2.8.

11-25-2019, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I use a JJC knock-off of the DA 40 Ltd hood on my M 40 f2.8. Works very well on my film cameras. I find it to be okay but I wish it was faster. I do like the focal length on 35mm; it's great for candids and street shooting. I like the idea of taking it out on city streets, f8 and be there, and let one of my automatic exposure cameras deal with that end so I can point & shoot without any effort at all. That said, the handling is so fiddly that I prefer my M 35 f2.8.
That's exactly the same that I use with my FA43. Works wonderfully.

11-25-2019, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by danielblues Quote
Sailling a similar boat, using a DA40HD on a MZ-m for the first time, I really like it on APS but it takes longer with film so see the results
That should be a nice combo. I don't have anymore autofocus bodies right now, or else I'd try out my FA43 on one. Maybe that'll be next on the list
11-25-2019, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by danielblues Quote
Frederic ("fs999" here on the forums) has some very nice DA40 examples shot on film bodies you can search for on his Flickr stream if you're interested.

fs999 | Flickr
11-25-2019, 01:24 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd be really curious how the Voigtländer Ultron 40mm f/2.0 compares. Curiosity wasn't strong enough to actually buy one, because I mostly use the FA35, even if manual focus is difficult.
11-25-2019, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

I love so much the size of the Pentax lenses. In my bag I can easily pack 5 Pentax primes. With my Nikon I struggle with the third one.
11-25-2019, 05:18 PM   #13
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought the 40 mm 2.8 film lens a few years ago to use with my film cameras. I have the 40 mm DA Limited lens which is one of my favourite street lenses, but of course its field of view on an APSC digital camera is different from the original 40 mm lens on a film camera.

I agree that the 40 mm film lens is a good match for the MX in terms of size, but I use it on the street on my LX. Why? With the LX I can zone focus the lens and allow the camera to set the shutter speed for the f-stop I have set for the zone focusing. This way I don't have to worry about changing lighting conditions as I walk down the street. On the MX I could be continually resetting the shutter speed as the light changes.
11-25-2019, 06:14 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I have the SMC PENTAX-M 40mm f2.8 as well, and it certainly made for a pocketable combination with my ME Super. However, I agree with the article's author in finding the focusing ring to be a bit too small for my fingers. As a result, I don't have a large enough sample size to comment intelligently on its optical qualities.
11-25-2019, 08:03 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I like the M40/2.8 and it's pretty sharp at middle apertures. It pairs nicely with my ME, though I've also used it with my heavier K Series bodies.

The 49mm Pentax rubber hood is a must.

Phil.
The M40/2.8 has been my go-to lens for use with the MX for walking around just taking street architecture snapshots. I usually just set at infinity and f/8 and rarely even adjust the SV once I’ve metered the first time.

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Why didn’t I think of that? Much better for simple street stuff than the collapsible hood.

I have a spare DA40 set in a drawer left over from a time I lost the small cap and found it the day after the replacement arrived from eBay.