Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2019, 05:12 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Found it, the receipt for a P3N I purchased in May 1990

A few things stood out when I discovered this receipt in a file folder today. I can't believe I paid almost as much for the 28-70 Tokina zoom as I did for the P3N body, but I do remember that the Tokina lens was much less expensive than its equivalent in Pentax at the time. Good thing I paid $40 for a lifetime warranty on the camera, in 1994 $116 worth of repairs for a stuck shutter and inoperative electronics were covered by the warranty. 25 years later, I need to make a confession, the reason my camera failed was because I was trying to clean the mirror with drops of water while travelling on the bullet train between Gothenburg and Stockholm and I had an oops.

Unfortunately, I no longer have this camera, it was stolen out of my vehicle while I was watching a CFL game in Winnipeg in 2002, but it was the first camera I bought instead of inheriting and I bought it a few months after starting a travelling sales job and less than a year after getting married. It had been to the Pacific and Atlantic coasts in both Canada and the U.S. and was with me the two times I toured the WTC in New York. It went with me on my only trip to Europe and recorded the first 10 years of my kids' lives.

I bought a used Super Program in 2004 with a power winder that kept sticking, an A 50 f1.7 and a Takumar 28-70 zoom this time (I don't have the receipt, but I think I paid $350 for this combo and another $150 for a Pentax A 70-210 f4 at the same time). I inherited a Program Plus a few years after that and this year I donated the Program Plus and the 28-70 zoom to a local high school, but I still have the Super Program, the 50 f1.7 and the 70-210.

Attached Images

11-25-2019, 05:45 PM   #2
Pentaxian

neat! my the times have changed....
11-25-2019, 06:22 PM   #3
Pentaxian

That lifetime warranty is bold. Would they really be able to service and support the camera today? What legal obligation does that warranty
bind them to? Would they offer you current tech if they cant service something that old?

"Sorry, we don't have the parts to service your P3n, here's a KP as replacement."

I'm sure there were limitations on the warranty. What exactly was guaranteed for a lifetime?
11-25-2019, 06:25 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I remember paying $225.00 for a new Super Program body in early 1988. I also seem to remember paying something comparable for a new Tokina 28-70 zoom that year; I probably still have the receipt buried somewhere in all the packaging I still have in the basement.

11-25-2019, 06:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
I'm sure there were limitations on the warranty. What exactly was guaranteed for a lifetime?
I still have the warranty certificate, it says "under normal use and service...in its original form, to the original owner, for the duration of that ownership, against any manufacturing defects causing said product not to function." The warranty is for repairs only, not replacement, and commercial, professional or industrial use is excluded. It isn't stated, but presumably if the camera can no longer be repaired, the warranty is no longer in effect. I have no idea how many of these lifetime warranties were sold by McBain Camera, but McBain is still a going concern and the Pentax film camera I currently have is a few years older than the P3N and is still in good operating condition, 30+ years later. I only found my receipt by accident, the small number of customers who never throw anything out and remember where they put things 30 years ago will probably be covered by the larger number of people who paid $40 for the "warranty" insurance and never made a claim against it, for whatever reason.
11-25-2019, 07:25 PM   #6
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Is it fair to say that the price is no different today as per hourly rate at time of purchase as is now

Dave
11-25-2019, 08:20 PM   #7
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nice! McBain Camera well done

11-25-2019, 09:17 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Is it fair to say that the price is no different today as per hourly rate at time of purchase as is now
I think it is fair to say that, wages and prices are roughly double what they were in 1990, at least where I live, and I could buy an entry-level DSLR and a decent walkaround zoom for no more than double what I paid for the P3N and the 28-70 lens.
11-25-2019, 09:53 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Perfect alignment on that dot matrix printer!