Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2019, 12:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Which body to get?

So I've had my beautiful Olympus OM-1 for my film shooting, it's great and I love it.

But, given my rather large collection of legacy Pentax glass I've been considering picking up a Pentax film body.

What are some suggestions for a Pentax body that can compare to my OM-1; particularly it's big and bright viewfinder?

12-05-2019, 12:31 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Re. DSLR,,,If you are just looking for a new body (and aren't we all) I'd suggest a basic K-70 as it doesn't look like you're going to be overusing the system.

If looking used any of K-3, K-XP, KS2, K5, or K-70 at a good price. Avoid any used K-30 or K-50 as they have a known aperture control block issue though with legacy lenses you'd be less affected.

No present knowledge re. film.
12-05-2019, 12:35 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For Pentax film bodies I would look for a PZ-1p. The viewfinder view is very good! I agree that the Oly OM-1 is no slouch.
12-05-2019, 12:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
Re. DSLR,,,If you are just looking for a new body (and aren't we all) I'd suggest a basic K-70 as it doesn't look like you're going to be overusing the system.

If looking used any of K-3, K-XP, KS2, K5, or K-70 at a good price. Avoid any used K-30 or K-50 as they have a known aperture control block issue though with legacy lenses you'd be less affected.

.............I have plenty of digital bodies, this is pretty clearly regarding film bodies

12-05-2019, 12:50 PM - 4 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

The Pentax MX is essentially a Pentax version of the OM-1.
Small, all manual, huge viewfinder.
12-05-2019, 12:50 PM   #6
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
36 - 24 - 36 or no wrong thread.
Film body I have a Z- 20 which was an mid 80 s model and more like a digital body in use and look

Dave
12-05-2019, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’d do aa MX. Huge viewfinder and tiny body.

Sometimes I can’t see all of the viewfinder at once, it’s so big...

A LX is also fantastic.

But that assumes your lenses have aperture rings.

If not, you’ll probably want an autofocus body to keep full control of aperture. Like a PZ-1, PZ-20, or something from the ZX series...

-Eric

---------- Post added 12-05-19 at 12:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
36 - 24 - 36 or no wrong thread.
Film body I have a Z- 20 which was an mid 80 s model and more like a digital body in use and a look

Dave
Z-20 was mid-90s, but it’s a good camera.

-Eric

12-05-2019, 01:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
The Pentax MX is essentially a Pentax version of the OM-1.
Small, all manual, huge viewfinder.
A large viewfinder is a must for me!

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I’d do aa MX. Huge viewfinder and tiny body.

Sometimes I can’t see all of the viewfinder at once, it’s so big...

A LX is also fantastic.

But that assumes your lenses have aperture rings.

If not, you’ll probably want an autofocus body to keep full control of aperture. Like a PZ-1, PZ-20, or something from the ZX series...

-Eric

---------- Post added 12-05-19 at 12:52 PM ----------

Z-20 was mid-90s, but it’s a good camera.

-Eric
Man it's so hard to find specs for a lot of the old Pentax cameras

So I came across the MX, ME, and ME Super. All of which have a huge .97x viewfinder!! Even bigger than my OM-1's .92x!! (.95 for the MEsuper)

Anyone know if the LX is also in that range?

Pretty much all the newer autofocus bodies listed are out cause they usually don't have a big viewfinder, and most of my Legacy glass is manual focus anyway

Does the ME not support manual controls??? One site made it sound like the camera decides shutter values for the ME

MX is definitely looking good
12-05-2019, 01:24 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
Pity...perhaps this thread might be pertinent to you as well as the OP?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-05-2019 at 01:30 PM.
12-05-2019, 01:34 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Leumas Quote
A large viewfinder is a must for me!

Man it's so hard to find specs for a lot of the old Pentax cameras

So I came across the MX, ME, and ME Super. All of which have a huge .97x viewfinder!! Even bigger than my OM-1's .92x!! (.95 for the MEsuper)

Anyone know if the LX is also in that range?

Pretty much all the newer autofocus bodies listed are out cause they usually don't have a big viewfinder, and most of my Legacy glass is manual focus anyway

Does the ME not support manual controls??? One site made it sound like the camera decides shutter values for the ME

The LX has viewfinders with magnifications from 0.55X to 1.35X.

12-05-2019, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you want "classic" controls lke what's on your OM-1, and manual focus/manual film wind, there's the LX, the MX, and then the K-series cameras like the KX and K1000 (amongst others). OR you go third party and get into all kinds of fun stuff. I like the Ricoh XR7 and I had a Chinon CE-5 that I quite liked. I recently picked up a Revue AC-3, which is basically a rebadged Chinon CE-4s, which I need to put new seals in before I can really use. Based on the shooting experience of the CE-5, I'm *really* looking forward to getting the AC-3 going.

It's a long story as to why, but right now about 98% of what I own is in a warehouse, as I'm living in temp housing after a move across the country. When it came time to grab a film camera to help give me something to do while I look for a place to live, my black Pentax MX didn't make it into the car with me; it's in storage somewhere. My Ricoh XR7 did make it with me instead. I have maybe $100 invested in that camera including having a professional shop clean it and throw in new seals and mirror damper pad. It's cosmetically challenged but works great and is nice to shoot with.
12-05-2019, 01:44 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

The ME was Aperture Priority automatic exposure only. No manual controls. The ME Super added push button manual control. And also a higher flash sync speed. The ME F was an ME Super with contrast detect AF with a special lens (like the OM F, but a F2.8 lens instead of F4). The AF system provides focus confirmation with manual focus lenses.

The MG, MV, MV 1 are all like the ME but with fewer features.

Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Pentax Film Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
12-05-2019, 01:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
The LX has viewfinders with magnifications from 0.55X to 1.35X.
Holy crap! serious??? Which ones have that kind of magnification?
12-05-2019, 01:55 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Yeah, as stated above it's like aperture priority full-time. I'm shooting a roll through a Pentax ME I picked up second hand for cheap and seems to be working flawlessly (though the scans will tell..). It is a little weird trusting the meter entirely to make the decision for me and only having the exposure comp dial to modify any differently. I think for this reason I won't keep it long, so if the film turns out well and you still wanted to try one later let me know, but it sounds like you're with me and would prefer full manual.

One plus for it though is the small size, which from what I remember of the OM-1 when I held one once was also the case. I can fit the ME and a 40mm lens in a coat pocket just fine. Pretty cool.

I've never shot or held an MX but looks like you're on the right track with that.

Good luck
12-05-2019, 03:16 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Get an MX! An LX would be nice but are in demand, so pricey. I have an MX, but it's not for sale...