Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
12-05-2019, 03:21 PM   #16
Veteran Member

LX is likley to be pricey, MX can be a horror if it needs work (my camera tech tells me to steer clear unless its got some kind of provenance as to having been serviced) plus they always seem to be quite pricey even for a banger, KX is a tank and very solid but the VF is only average and rarely has split screen focusing (which I dont mind doing without) but can be picked up often cheaper than a K1000 which is not as nice, meter cells are slower and late models may not be great.
Chinon CE5 is sweet and cheap, plastic exterior a’la AE1 albeit metal underneath. Seiko vertical travel shutter and aperture priority auto as well as full manual?

For awesome VF brightness and clarity....nope I aint saying cos you will end up needing a whole new lens collection

12-05-2019, 03:46 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Get an MX! An LX would be nice but are in demand, so pricey. I have an MX, but it's not for sale...
yeah I just noticed the LX is out of my price range for what I want.

---------- Post added 12-05-19 at 04:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
LX is likley to be pricey, MX can be a horror if it needs work (my camera tech tells me to steer clear unless its got some kind of provenance as to having been serviced) plus they always seem to be quite pricey even for a banger, KX is a tank and very solid but the VF is only average and rarely has split screen focusing (which I dont mind doing without) but can be picked up often cheaper than a K1000 which is not as nice, meter cells are slower and late models may not be great.
Chinon CE5 is sweet and cheap, plastic exterior a’la AE1 albeit metal underneath. Seiko vertical travel shutter and aperture priority auto as well as full manual?

For awesome VF brightness and clarity....nope I aint saying cos you will end up needing a whole new lens collection
I was all hyped up till I saw it has .87 magnification with 92% coverage.....
12-05-2019, 05:20 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The MX is the most like an OM1, if you don't mind electronics, the Super-A is similarly sized with a big viewfinder, it's a full muti-mode (Manual, Av, Tv & Program) although uses push buttons instead of a shutter speed dial.
12-05-2019, 06:22 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
In a fixed viewfinder fully manual SLR, there is no bigger magnification in the smallest body then the MX. It was purposely designed to be smaller then the OM1 in all dimensions with a larger magnification viewfinder. And of course it has a traditional control layout with an aperture window that was not on any OM.

12-05-2019, 06:26 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
In a fixed viewfinder fully manual SLR, there is no bigger magnification in the smallest body then the MX. It was purposely designed to be smaller then the OM1 in all dimensions with a larger magnification viewfinder. And of course it has a traditional control layout with an aperture window that was not on any OM.
Nice comparison!

Think the MX is the one I should go for.

Thanks for all the feedback guys
12-05-2019, 08:23 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I'll nth the recommendation for the MX. Great form factor, feels great in the hand, and the view finder is big & bright.
12-07-2019, 02:19 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Leumas Quote
Nice comparison!

Think the MX is the one I should go for.

Thanks for all the feedback guys
Yup. That's the one.
I'm surprised that, around these parts, it took until Colton's suggestion to get to the MX...

The MX is the OM-1 as it should be. They share very similar DNA. I should get on great with the OM, but never have.
The MX on the other hand is my go-to 35mm, bar-none. Pentax took the OM idea and perfected it in my opinion.
Subtle differences but they make a huge difference for me. They're incredibly similar, but the MX is actually smaller,
though the viewfinder is certainly better. The MX is what you're after.

(All that is to say that I actually like the LX a tad more; it's VF is something to behold, but the MX VF is just tick behind it and if worse came to worst, the MX is the one I'd keep for a myriad of reasons.)

Attached Images

Last edited by Eyewanders; 12-07-2019 at 02:46 AM.
12-07-2019, 02:33 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Unfortunately, asking which body to buy is a bit like asking which football team to support, they all have their fans. I'm very fond of the MX and think it's a good choice. Others will complain about the stiff shutter speed dial. There are ones no one suggests. A3 anybody? 😹
12-07-2019, 02:48 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Unfortunately, asking which body to buy is a bit like asking which football team to support, they all have their fans. I'm very fond of the MX and think it's a good choice. Others will complain about the stiff shutter speed dial. There are ones no one suggests. A3 anybody? 😹
Well true, but to be fair, the OP asked which PK body would compare most similarly to his OM-1.... and the MX is that camera.
12-07-2019, 02:58 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Well true, but to be fair, the OP asked which PK body would compare most similarly to his OM-1.... and the MX is that camera.
Yup, I agree. It was a comment intended more generally, rather than on a specific reply.
12-08-2019, 10:11 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Working K1000s MX and LXs are really expensive. ME-Supers are much cheaper and if you don't mind the fact there is no shutter speed dial and you have to look through the viewfinder to see the shutter speed in manual mode is a great bargain. ME non supers though don't have the shutter speed buttons which means its aperture priority or program only.
12-09-2019, 01:25 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
The LX has viewfinders with magnifications from 0.55X to 1.35X.
I did not know magnification was up to 1.35X !
12-09-2019, 01:49 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
LX is likley to be pricey, MX can be a horror if it needs work (my camera tech tells me to steer clear unless its got some kind of provenance as to having been serviced) ...
I have to say this hasn't been my experience. I've had a couple of basket case MX's brought back to life and there's never been any issues with servicing.

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
Working K1000s MX and LXs are really expensive. ...
Is $100usd 'really expensive'? Because MX's come up for sale here regularly in working condition around that price...

Last edited by nickthetasmaniac; 12-09-2019 at 03:27 AM. Reason: typo
12-09-2019, 02:53 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
I have to say this hasn't been my experience. I've had a couple of basket case MX's brought back to like and there's never been any issues with servicing.

Is $100usd 'really expensive'? Because MX's come up for sale here regularly in working condition around that price...

Agreed.
And, agreed.

I've had at least 5 MXs pass through my hands, three of them regular shooters, and one, my main should (by looks and just general feel of the poor thing) be *dead* basket case. Eric resuscitated it for that expensive price. I'll likely send it to him again this year (it's been 5 years now). It's curtain seems to be off a bit and not always completing leaving the mirror up occasionally. But I've been horrible to that thing in the time between. It's been left in hot cars. Below freezing cars. In the sun. Been rained on. Banged on. It just keeps going. It started doing the latest curtain thing after I forgot it in the back of my car, with the shutter (I discovered after) still wound on during a 5 day very cold snap we had last month. The price the little guy pays for being my "favorite", or if not my favorite my "number one".

$100 is deeply reasonable. When next I get it back from Eric it should have some less stressful years ahead of it as I've mostly been shooting Konica 35mm for the past year and a half.
12-09-2019, 05:39 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MX is all-mechanical, very reliable and probably the best choice over the long term.
All other M-series bodies have an electronic shutter few can repair at reasonable cost.

Look at the P3N or P30T, which offer full manual, program and aperture priority AE modes.
These models are a pleasure to use and offer some very useful features.
Film speed is set by DX code only, but that's no problem 99% of the time.
Nice ones may sell for $20-30. That's cheap enough to almost be disposable...

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 12-09-2019 at 08:25 AM.