Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
12-09-2019, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Out of my MX, XR7, and (now gone) CE-5 I would most like to shoot with the CE-5. I feel like the XR7 is a bit more rugged, and the MX is the most rugged of all. However, I don't like the take-up spool on the MX, the overly stiff exposure knob, and I like having automatic aperture when I feel like trusting the camera to do so. I like the feel of the shutter button the most on the CE-5, XR7 a close second, the long travel of the MX comes in third. The MX does have the nicest viewfinder of the three. I never felt like the viewfinder on the other two was holding me back. The XR7 is quite easy on its batteries. There's a lot of tradeoffs and in the end, if I were to only one one, I would probably pick an XR7. To me it makes the M series cameras besides the MX look fiddly and limiting to the user.

12-09-2019, 08:02 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote

Is $100usd 'really expensive'? Because MX's come up for sale here regularly in working condition around that price...
Maybe If I can find one Pentaxforums, but every time I see one pop up used that isn't as-is, it has been around $150 to $200 which is 3-4 times the price of a me-super. As the ME-supers are dwindling they are raising up in price as well.
12-09-2019, 01:41 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
... I like the feel of the shutter button the most on the CE-5, XR7 a close second, the long travel of the MX comes in third. The MX does have the nicest viewfinder of the three...
I almost always, for the last few years, have a threaded soft-release button screwed into the MX. Makes a huge difference to the shutter feel for me.

---------- Post added 12-09-19 at 12:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
Maybe If I can find one Pentaxforums, but every time I see one pop up used that isn't as-is, it has been around $150 to $200 which is 3-4 times the price of a me-super. As the ME-supers are dwindling they are raising up in price as well.
Even at $150 or $200 if the CLA is recent (and nice to have one coming from someone here, in most cases, for peace of mind) is still reasonable considering a working MX that has NOT been serviced any time recently (or ever for that matter) is usually $40 at the cheapest, adding the roughly $100 Eric H would charge to overhaul it (assuming no drastic repairs or internal parts replacement are needed).
If you're going to be looking at the electronically-oriented models like ME-Super, I'd sooner suggest the Super-Program. The electronics are newer in those, and you've more exposure (full Program and everything between) options. The SuperProgram's viewfinder isn't quite as large as the ME Super's, but I find it to be noticeably brighter, at least on mine. But again, both are electronic shutter button affairs, and the SuperProgram has newer electronics which is definitely something to take into account. It also has a DoF preview unlike the former, and that preview is probably one of my favorite of its kind; it is a perfect finger-shaped pull-lever for your right hand and is just quick and smooth, much less stiff/fiddly than the push-lever self-timer combo implementation found on the MX. But that's a nitpick at best. I haven't had an ME Super in quite a while and don't think it has DoF preview but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
12-09-2019, 06:26 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Another MX fan here!
Recently got mine serviced and the camera tech had a high opinion on their general reliability.
Keep in mind that no camera is perfect so the MX does have its cons. Not many though

12-09-2019, 06:59 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
It also has a DoF preview unlike the former, and that preview is probably one of my favorite of its kind; it is a perfect finger-shaped pull-lever for your right hand and is just quick and smooth, much less stiff/fiddly than the push-lever self-timer combo implementation found on the MX.
Out of interest what do you find fiddly about the MX dof implementation? I’ve always found the push lever a super simple solution.
12-09-2019, 10:21 PM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Out of interest what do you find fiddly about the MX dof implementation? I’ve always found the push lever a super simple solution.
No, I don't disagree. Fiddly may not be the right word. I don't find it particularly good or bad - it works just fine, and incorporating the two features into a single switch is quite nice (two of my Konicas operate in the same manner). It's mostly just comparing it to the dedicated "pull" switch with perfect finger indentation found on the SuperProgram that it isn't quite as nice. The MX is also a stiffer affair, needing more pressure, or perhaps its just the angle you have to push. With the SP's version, you have perfect leverage already since you're gripping the camera and drawing it toward you. (Like I said, it's at best a 'nitpick' of the MX.)
12-10-2019, 03:48 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
No, I don't disagree. Fiddly may not be the right word. I don't find it particularly good or bad - it works just fine, and incorporating the two features into a single switch is quite nice (two of my Konicas operate in the same manner). It's mostly just comparing it to the dedicated "pull" switch with perfect finger indentation found on the SuperProgram that it isn't quite as nice. The MX is also a stiffer affair, needing more pressure, or perhaps its just the angle you have to push. With the SP's version, you have perfect leverage already since you're gripping the camera and drawing it toward you. (Like I said, it's at best a 'nitpick' of the MX.)

The MX combination self-timer/DOF lever becomes even more difficult to use - especially for those with large fingers -
when the Winder MX, a vertical grip or half case/eveready case is used.

Chris

12-10-2019, 04:12 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
The MX combination self-timer/DOF lever becomes even more difficult to use - especially for those with large fingers -
when the Winder MX, a vertical grip or half case/eveready case is used.

Chris
Indeed. But that's often true of everyready cases (getting a bit in the way) on many different camera bodies when the preview (or another function) is anywhere on the front of the body (except I suppose the KX or SuperProgram style (and others) that push into the body, not in some other direction.) But yeah, it's a pain with the winder attached - you're rather forced to use your left hand to operate it.... though I really never use the winder anymore. They're so darn loud compared to other motor-driven bodies or slightly newer winders.
12-10-2019, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The MX Winder is a terrific accessory. It's much faster than most other winders.
In the situations I use it the sound is not a problem. In fact it's kinda cool.
Like my Nikon MD-12 it makes me feel like a late-1970's press photographer...

The MX with Winder MX is my only Pentax with motorized film advance.
I use DOF preview frequently so this combo is not real pleasant for me to use.

I have no problem using DOF preview on other models with eveready case attached.
Unlike many I am a fan of eveready cases and like to use them with all my cameras.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 12-10-2019 at 04:57 PM.
12-28-2019, 09:45 PM   #40
Veteran Member

i got a super-program and I have been very happy with it. My fingers have a lot better hold, I like the lcd display of aperture inside the viewfinder, and its built as well as a me-super if a little more plastic. The only thing I don't like is that you have to change to manual mode to shoot 00 and 0 shots. It defaults to 1/1000 shutter speed for shot 0 and 00 and doesn't meter until you get to 1. Its supposed to wind faster, but I would have liked it to at least start metering. The idea was you could advance the shutter fast without taking off the lens cap, but you are losing 1-2 shots a roll which adds up.
12-29-2019, 11:37 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The Super Program automatic 1/1000 at the beginning of a roll is annoying, but not as annoying as loading a camera that doesn’t do that in a dark room and having it lock up for 30s or so when it’s left in the wrong mode.

That isn’t really an issue on the mechanical bodies with 1s maximum shutter duration, but 30s is a long time...

-Eric
12-29-2019, 12:23 PM   #42
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Leumas Quote
. . . Man it's so hard to find specs for a lot of the old Pentax cameras
you can look here

Pentax Film SLR Databases and Resources - PentaxForums.com
12-30-2019, 11:42 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Dont know where the OP is but MXs here in UK are almost always expensive if in decent nick and even bangers can get stiff on price.