Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
12-26-2019, 04:15 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good luck with the restoration. I can’t be much (any) help with your work here, but I’m watching closely, as my K2DMD hasn’t needed any maintenance for a long time (38 years, in my custody) but all the hints and advice coming in give me confidence that I’ll get help should I ever need it.

12-26-2019, 04:37 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by longbow Quote
Did you remove the bottom plate to check operation. I have a full K2 repair manual at home will check for information later tonight. Make sure not make any adjustments to any of the variable resistors, these control the shutter speeds and need to be done on testing equipment. Not the best camera to work on if you don't proper testing equipment, same with any of the electronic cameras. Spotmatics, KX, KM, K1000 & MX better for tinkering with basic tools. The K2s' I'm working on, the meters and shutter speeds are accurate, just need light seals, foam and cleaning. You can make a simple shutter tester or buy a Cam-Lite II Shutter off of Amazon (what I have), unfortunately it just gives shutter open speeds, not individual curtain travel speeds, but good enough for personal use. So far all the ones I've repaired so far have film tested good.
I removed the bottom plate and everything "seems" to move properly. However, the camera is only firing on mechanical speed and Bulb. I don't think it is related to the spool not moving but not sure.

Thanks,
12-26-2019, 05:15 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
I removed the bottom plate and everything "seems" to move properly. However, the camera is only firing on mechanical speed and Bulb. I don't think it is related to the spool not moving but not sure.

Thanks,
Manual wasn't much help (not unusual) so took a look at a K2 I have tore apart, there's a ratchet arm with a spring on it under the frame counter which is what looks to move the spool, not sure without tearing into it. The shutter problem sounds like a issue with my first K2, Paul at Advance Camera found the Switch Plate, part #0-F41, had corrosion on the contacts. It's a tiny circuit board located in from of the speed dial with red wire going to it - see photo. Could be the problem, but that's the problem the electronic cameras, without the proper testing equipment it can be hard to troubleshoot. Fortunately, for as old as these cameras are, the electronics have held up very well.

Hopefully this helps

12-26-2019, 05:53 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you!
That is helpful! I'll keep tinkering with it but I think I may end up sending it to Eric or Mike. It looks to be worth rescuing.

Thanks!

01-06-2020, 02:46 PM   #20

Unscrewing that cover cap...

The thread for the winder cap is RH not LH like previous models, threw me off also the first I took apart a K2. Since the K2 is one of my favorites, bought a couple "AS-IS" bodies from KEH to learn how to work on.
Just making sure I understand this right: this means that to unscrew the cap on top of the advance lever, I have to turn it counterclockwise (as seen from above) to take it off? I have a dirty but functional K2 on my desk, but the inside of the wiefinder is covered with gooified lightseal foam which absolutely needs to go, and I don't want to mess up... Plus, my experience with other Pentax advance levers is that you need to turn clockwise to take them off....
01-06-2020, 08:24 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m_rabiller Quote
Just making sure I understand this right: this means that to unscrew the cap on top of the advance lever, I have to turn it counterclockwise (as seen from above) to take it off? I have a dirty but functional K2 on my desk, but the inside of the wiefinder is covered with gooified lightseal foam which absolutely needs to go, and I don't want to mess up... Plus, my experience with other Pentax advance levers is that you need to turn clockwise to take them off....
Yes, counterclockwise. The K2 is only one I've found this way, but it's winder is a different design than others I've worked on.
01-07-2020, 02:05 PM   #22

Yes, counterclockwise. The K2 is only one I've found this way, but it's winder is a different design than others I've worked on.
Thank you so much! Now I feel much more confident about these cleanup operations. Funny, I got that camera for the lens that came on it, but it's kind of really growing on me. Feels just right in the hand - "just hold a Pentax"

01-07-2020, 03:29 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m_rabiller Quote
Thank you so much! Now I feel much more confident about these cleanup operations. Funny, I got that camera for the lens that came on it, but it's kind of really growing on me. Feels just right in the hand - "just hold a Pentax"
Not a problem

Be careful removing the prism, there's small circuit board on top. Wouldn't recommend removing the old foam on the prism, just remove the crumbling stuff gently with a toothpick and place 1mm thick foam over the top, basically incapsulate the old foam. If you try to remove the old stuff, you'll more than likely remove the black paint & silver coatings.

PM me if you have any questions.
01-11-2020, 08:20 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote

Thanks,
that spool is for the asa or iso check the gear meshing under the base plate of the speed dial
02-19-2020, 03:47 PM   #25

Not a problem

Be careful removing the prism, there's small circuit board on top. Wouldn't recommend removing the old foam on the prism, just remove the crumbling stuff gently with a toothpick and place 1mm thick foam over the top, basically incapsulate the old foam. If you try to remove the old stuff, you'll more than likely remove the black paint & silver coatings.

PM me if you have any questions.
Well... the K2 didn't survive. I stupidly broke the rather fragile circuit board between the prims and the eyepiece. Reconnected the pieces with wire, no success. I feel real sad about that. My two isses were the badly de-silvered prism, and the messed up glue between the two lens elements that make the eyepiece.
As for the prism, a spare from a dead XG-1 seemed to work pretty well (one may object about putting Minolta pieces into a Asahi camera though...).
The eyepiece lens was tough. I bought some solvant supposed to remove glue, after two weeks I didn't see the slightest sign of any effect. Damn.... At that point I had little to lose and I figured I could try melting the glue. I put the eyepiece lens (without the plastic frame around it!) in the COLD oven, THEN set the heat at 150°C, door open to make sure it wouldn't go too fast. a few minutes afterwards, the glue had become soft and I could slide the elements apart with very litte effort. The remains of the glue could then be rubbed away easily with a piece of paper and some of that glue solvant. Well, the K2 may not have survived, but at least it left a little legacy in good info. Now, if anyone needs spare for a K2, you may have them for postage cost.
08-02-2020, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

Remember this one? Well, I don't have a problem admitting defeat. (actually I do but I can say it because you can't see me crying in a corner )

So this K2 beat me.

Then I bought a second clunker to try to make 1 out of the 2. They both beat me.

So I told my big brother and he beat them.
I ended up sending both to Mike at Phototronics.
Yeah, between the 2 clunkers, the repair cost and the shipping both ways I could have bought a mint one. I know.

So I just got both back. The front one is the keeper, the back one was the parts donor. I'll run some quick tests before giving it the usual deep cleaning. I'll post the beauty shots here.
This will most likely be the next one out the door with film in it....

I have used Mike's services before for non-Pentax camera repairs. This is the first Pentax he works for me. Very good service. Highly recommended.

Thanks,
08-02-2020, 11:24 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Sont feel bad about it, we all need a pro at times.
08-03-2020, 07:43 PM - 3 Likes   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Rising from the ashes of neglect, may I present you my "new" Pentax K2
This beauty required the intervention of a professional and required a second defective camera as a donor. There are dings and scratches as badges of honor. Who knows where it's been! I admit the dings bug me a little bit but they are cosmetic only. The donor also had a major ding that affected the advance lever operation. Now that it is in perfect working order, I'm not messing around with it.
After receiving it I took her to a "concourse" cleaning.
Without further ado, here she is!

Here you can see some of the dings at the pentaprism base

And here you can see the dings on top of the pentaprism

But it looks the best paired with my all time favorite lens: The M50 f1.7

Can't wait to use it!

Thanks,
08-04-2020, 10:20 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Hi Ismael, she looks good. I had to have a pro help me with a Minolta SRT which I have since sold on.

I have to say the dings would bug me to death and I would have to find a replacement top plate. Do you sell on when you get bored of them or carry on collecting ? I orginally collected but it all got a bit mad during lockdown and I cant really store more than I have plus I find using multiple different cameras slows me up as ai never get familiar enough with the box to be fast for street photogs and often screw up through not being familiar enough so some stuff is heading on to eBay.

I have toyed with selling everything off alart from five of them.
08-04-2020, 11:59 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

I'll be on the lookout for a good top cover but no rush. If I have time I may even try to fix the top of the non-working donor and see if it can be swapped. But since the camera is now in perfect working order I may hesitate to take it apart just for that.
I always say (and keep telling my wife) I want to sell some of the stuff but since 2009 I have only sold 1 lens and 1 body
For the last year or so, I've been meaning to sell some of the non-Pentax stuff. I need to get that going.

Thanks,