Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2019, 02:28 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would like to add another suggestion. Get a cheap Pentax digital body plus M42 to K mount adapter and use the lenses. Running film through the camera is a good idea, but in the long term it requires dedication to shoot film.

Those are all splendid lenses that will give excellent results on a digital body. There are lots of pictures on this site taken with Takumars mounted on digital cameras. Check out the reviews section.

Look out for a used K100D (six megapixels) or K200D (ten megapixels). The Takumars are all manual but this means that they work almost exactly like they did on early Spotmatics. Open the aperture, focus, stop down aperture, take meter reading, adjust shutter speed as needed, shoot, repeat. A bit of a learning experience for youngsters with their new fangled auto focus lenses, but familiar to Spotmatic users. Unless it's one of the later ones with open aperture metering, I should hasten to add.

In short, unless you need some cash, hang on to those Takumars. Using them would be a lot more rewarding than a few hundred dollars.

12-21-2019, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

I agree. For the price they would fetch, I’d rather keep something that meant a lot to my dad.

Never seen that Pentax case. Your dad had good taste.
12-21-2019, 04:08 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
I agree. For the price they would fetch, I’d rather keep something that meant a lot to my dad.

Never seen that Pentax case. Your dad had good taste.
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and ideas. I guess the sentimental value does far exceed the monetary value, and putting a few rolls through it could lead anywhere. Selling the camera is certainly off the cards now - the case has in some ways been more of a talking point anyway.

Can somebody/anybody please shine some light on the case. Keeping the camera is a certainty, but if the case has perhaps more value than the camera gear I would not be against selling that alone.
12-21-2019, 04:24 PM   #19

Original Poster

Attached Images

12-21-2019, 10:37 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I second the suggestion to find someone in the family who is interested and pass it along that way.

Selling things with sentimental value is sometimes hard if others don’t share the sentiment... especially if you aren’t used to doing it.

-Eric
100%.

Once it's.gone, it's gone.
I had stuff of my fathers and ended up keeping only his military uniform a camera, and some other small bits and pieces.
I took everything else to the charity shop.

Definitely some regret in letting some go.

Have a hard think about it.
12-22-2019, 02:45 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SoggyWombat Quote
Can somebody/anybody please shine some light on the case. Keeping the camera is a certainty, but if the case has perhaps more value than the camera gear I would not be against selling that alone.
It looks like it was an official Asahi Optical Company product, but a Pentax sales brochure from the period is needed to establish provenance.

It is extremely cool, though. It would enhance any collection of any historic Pentax aficionado. As for me, I don't have any Spotmatics and only one Takumar lens (so far), so I will pass.