Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2019, 06:05 AM   #1

Opinions appreciated...

My father was a keen photographer all of his life, and when he passed away 3 years ago I was fortunate enough to have his modest collection of his beloved camera and lenses; all items that I craved to hold as a child and wondered over. Sadly though, they all just sit in the case now and as much as they are a fond memory of him, it also saddens me just sitting there. They were part of his story, and it would be amazing if they could become part of somebody else's journey. So, with that, any advice would be appreciated on possible value, and how best to sell them.

Firstly is the camera he purchased from new. When I got married two years ago a friend used it to take photos; the light meter still works and it is great condition (does have a tiny dent on the top near the flash mount)

All other items I will just add photos and leave those more knowledgeable than I to provide any useful information. My apologies if I have posted this in the wrong section, and thank you for any advice you may be able to give me.

Attached Images

12-21-2019, 07:55 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The macro Takumar is defenitely valuable. Very nice lens!
12-21-2019, 08:03 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Interesting. From what I can see the macro takumar is the one lens with the most value as it looks like the first version that goes 1:1. These can fetch a little over $100 on ebay. The other two lenses are pretty common and I would say between $25-50 maybe. And the Asahi Pentax branded brief case, not sure. Same with the working Spotmatic, not sure.

Look at the reviews section to get a better idea. And also look at completed listings on Ebay.

You can sell it here on the marketplace cheaper than on ebay. You may find someone who will buy the whole lot if it is priced low enough but I've usually had better luck parting them out.
12-21-2019, 08:05 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
BEAUTIFUL COLLECTION
Your father had good taste, and everything seems to be in good order
The whole set, including the carrying case and a few of the lenses (Macro Takumar, 50/4 preset) are valuable to collectors and a few users
I don;t know which would be the best way to sell it I guess you can get more money selling it piece wise and maybe selling it as a whole would be more satisfying since you'll know it goes to good hands
A classified ad in these forums will probably give you the later

12-21-2019, 08:16 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

Most everything you have shown is fairly common. It all has some value and as a lot might bring $100-$300 on a good day depending on
condition. There are lots of resources out there to find the current market value. Searching sold listings on Ebay will give a very good idea of
what things are selling for. There is also the marketplace here on Pentax Forums.

If I were you, I'd first look at gifting the lot to friend or family member who might continue to use the equipment. You might also donate to a
local photography club or school.
12-21-2019, 08:22 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 7.62lew Quote
Interesting. From what I can see the macro takumar is the one lens with the most value as it looks like the first version that goes 1:1. These can fetch a little over $100 on ebay. The other two lenses are pretty common and I would say between $25-50 maybe. And the Asahi Pentax branded brief case, not sure. Same with the working Spotmatic, not sure.

Look at the reviews section to get a better idea. And also look at completed listings on Ebay.

You can sell it here on the marketplace cheaper than on ebay. You may find someone who will buy the whole lot if it is priced low enough but I've usually had better luck parting them out.
Most items I can find on EBay for comparable prices. The one item I can find no information on whatsoever is the Asahi Pentax case.
12-21-2019, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

About 1 year ago I acquired a similar kit from yours (Spotmatic II, 135/3.5, 50/4 Macro preset 1:1) from an ebay seller that was likely liquidating random items. I got it all for $90 including shipping, which honestly is a steal since the Macro 50/4 will fetch at least $150 in prime condition...

The kit I purchased belonged to a person from North Carolina who in his time started a radio station (the kit had a name tag and an address - some research and voila). I actually really treasure it now, especially knowing it belonged to someone who cared for it.

You're doing well in researching the value before deciding to post it and see what it brings.

12-21-2019, 09:44 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 7.62lew Quote

Everyone here at all interested in owning a Spotmatic is hoping Adam will give him/her one around January 11th. I would wait three weeks before trying to sell one here at the "Marketplace".
12-21-2019, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I second the suggestion to find someone in the family who is interested and pass it along that way.

Selling things with sentimental value is sometimes hard if others don’t share the sentiment... especially if you aren’t used to doing it.

If you frequently sell things online and have the familiarity to do it right, (or if you get lucky) you may get near the top of those estimates on the right day. It’s more likely you’ll end up boxing up the lot for $65 plus shipping...

-Eric
12-21-2019, 10:06 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Might I suggest, just for old times sake shoot a couple of rolls through it of your family before you sell it?
12-21-2019, 10:26 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SoggyWombat Quote
My father was a keen photographer all of his life, and when he passed away 3 years ago I was fortunate enough to have his modest collection of his beloved camera and lenses; all items that I craved to hold as a child and wondered over. Sadly though, they all just sit in the case now and as much as they are a fond memory of him, it also saddens me just sitting there. They were part of his story, and it would be amazing if they could become part of somebody else's journey. So, with that, any advice would be appreciated on possible value, and how best to sell them.

Firstly is the camera he purchased from new. When I got married two years ago a friend used it to take photos; the light meter still works and it is great condition (does have a tiny dent on the top near the flash mount)

All other items I will just add photos and leave those more knowledgeable than I to provide any useful information. My apologies if I have posted this in the wrong section, and thank you for any advice you may be able to give me.
A Spotmatic was sold here in the last few days for $35.
Pentax Honeywell Spotmatic with Super-Takumar 1:2/50mm - PentaxForums.com

This one has many more additiuonal accessories - I don't know how a potential purchaser would value them - but unless the individual values them {which I do not}, I wouldn't see them adding much. Family who will be sentimental about it seem like the best recipients to me also.
12-21-2019, 11:36 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Might I suggest, just for old times sake shoot a couple of rolls through it of your family before you sell it?
Definitely. Best idea I’ve heard all day

-Eric
12-21-2019, 12:04 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The value is variable depending on condition and item. What interests me is that the lenses are much older than the body and none take advantage of that body's signature features. Might your father have another box of gear somewhere?

As noted above, the Macro Takumar is the most interesting to collectors, though I wonder that the front element appears to be not visible. Again, value is hard to pin down. There is a BIN on eBay currently that might provide a clue as to value. The reviews on this site (LINK) might lalso be useful. The other two lenses are worth less than $50 each (probably < $35) with the Spotmatic F body worth anywhere from almost nothing to over $250 USD serviced with warranty in a shop. I recently purchased a Spotmatic F for the value of the lens attached and spent an additional $150 to have it placed in working order. I doubt I could recoup my investment.

Selling from a forum post is against the rules, but access to the marketplace here is available through donation. What you can do is to place an ad on this site's marketplace with prices to the high side and adjust the prices down as needed to sell.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-21-2019 at 12:20 PM.
12-21-2019, 01:31 PM   #14

I second the proposal that you run few rolls of film before you go all-out on selling. A kit like this has a significant value, but it probably still wouldn't match up to the sentimental value. I totally understand why you'd be happy to see it in the hands of someone else who'll make good use of it, but just to be sure I think it would be a good idea to give it a go, in case you enjoy it more than you expect.

The nice part about this that generation of film cameras is that they're extremely durable, and still maintained by dedicated members of the vintage photographic community. The best way to keep it in working order is to continue to use it regularly, but if any item were to have an issue, there are still people who can fix it. The value of the kit will only go up in time, especially since it's a complete kit with a nice case (good for collectors,) so as long as it's not cumbersome to keep around, it may be worth keeping to allow for appreciation.

Maybe you'll even have young family who'd love for it to be passed down to them, or someone else that you may encounter personally. In my opinion that would be the best way to ensure that it goes to someone who will genuinely appreciate it, as simply listing it in a marketplace can attract low-ballers and resellers.
12-21-2019, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #15

You can sell that gear any time you like but may I offer a counter opinion?

What if you waited for a while to sell the gear and in the meantime, try it out and see if maybe you enjoy photography a little bit. If I may be so bold, it might be a way to feel like you are reconnecting with your dad. As a bonus, you might find out you love photography and let it be part of your story moving forward. If not, you could sell once you were sure and not have any worry of regret. The only downfall is, any significant other may resent the time, energy and money that it may cause you to spend on a very addictive hobby.

Good luck with your choices. No matter what, I'm touched by how much thought you are giving this in order to respect your dad's wishes.

*EDIT - Looks like StarTroop beat me to the idea. That's a smart man that StarTroop. Only really intelligent (and extremely attractive) people have ideas like that.