Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2019, 08:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Giving life back to a super A

So, I got this from a guy in Germany and am trying to bring it back to good use. Done cleaning and checking seals, and it could benefit from new ones including the mirror bumper. Any recommendations?
Put batteries in and it seems to work fine, and if I wind it with some pliers, it fires at all speeds and settings. It looks good to me after removing all that old gunk and sticky dust that gets everywhere. It came with the winder, but the contacts are corroded, so I'll have to deal with that, too.

12-27-2019, 09:11 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
So, I got this from a guy in Germany and am trying to bring it back to good use. Done cleaning and checking seals, and it could benefit from new ones including the mirror bumper. Any recommendations?
Put batteries in and it seems to work fine, and if I wind it with some pliers, it fires at all speeds and settings. It looks good to me after removing all that old gunk and sticky dust that gets everywhere. It came with the winder, but the contacts are corroded, so I'll have to deal with that, too.
There are some seal kits on eBay...that's what I usually do. I've also purchased sheets of black foam of various thicknesses from Micro-Tools...but I got that a good 10-15 yrs ago and not sure if they still carry it.

I just picked up a Super-A also...$25 and included a mint AF280T flash. The camera is clean and everything worked...but I did find a little ding/bump next to the winder lever. If I can find a clean parts body someday I may exchange the top plate. I also have a working Super-Program with the Winder-A. I've always liked this camera...I bought one new in 1983...my first new camera purchase.

12-27-2019, 12:00 PM   #3

f I wind it with some pliers, it fires at all speeds and settings.
Is it missing the advance lever?
12-27-2019, 12:17 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I had one of these. It was a great camera. Good luck with the repair!

12-27-2019, 01:26 PM   #5

I do occasionally still use the Super Program, with the winder and the AF280 flash. Still works properly and I’ve not had to do any cleaning at all. Only issue was the little light button and the exposure meter not responding, but after numerous tries they came back to life.
It’s a pleasure to use (had it since 1984) but now having been spoiled by digital I just hate paying for the developing and printing!
12-27-2019, 02:46 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Done cleaning and checking seals, and it could benefit from new ones including the mirror bumper. Any recommendations?
Jon Goodman's seal kits are quite good, are very reasonably priced, come with detailed instructions, and are what I used on my Super Program. Jon deals exclusively by email and was using the addresses below when I last contacted him about a year ago.
JGood21967@aol.com

Jon_Goodman@yahoo.com

Steve

@Jon_Goodman
12-27-2019, 02:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This looks to be a great project to bring a classic back to LIFE!

12-28-2019, 01:13 AM   #8

In my idle moments I look at these on eBay and wonder whether I should take the plunge. It is fun enough that it’s worth having another system?
12-28-2019, 04:46 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
I just picked up a Super-A also...$25 and included a mint AF280T flash.
I had a 280T for years, and the latch on the battery door latch broke. I recently got another one to replace it, and the battery door latch broke on my first outing. Let me know how it goes for you.
12-31-2019, 10:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for the input and recommendations. The camera works well so far, but once I put on a lens, it starts to act up. I removed it and observed how it behaved without a lens when I moved the aperture feeler manually. It seems to have an intermittent connection. Sometimes it responds as expected, others it just goes haywire. Bad thing is it's deep down inside the body. I tried accessing it from the bayonet, but that's a dead end. It seems I'll have to remove all the electronics, prism and whatnot, which is quite frankly overwhelming since there's so much that needs to be readjusted afterwards. I'll think about it over the next week or so.
I might also just try an electronic cleaner through a small gap after removing the top cover. Might work and is totally non invasive.