Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2008, 08:37 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
k1000 light meter not working properly

The light meter on my k1000 seems to be acting flaky. It started happening all of a sudden as it was working fine before but what happens now is the aperture ring on the lens (any lens) does not move the light meter. It seems to respond well to changing the shutter speed and moving the camera around the scene between light and dark areas, but changing the aperture does nothing at all. Do you guys think it needs to get sent in for repairs or is there something I can try to check?

10-23-2008, 02:48 AM   #2

Maybe the battery simply died.

To check the battery, set the ASA dial to 100 and the shutter to B. The needle should "peg" at + and stay there. If it doesn't, the battery needs replaced.
10-23-2008, 06:54 AM   #3
Pentaxian

If the battery is good, check the aperture follower lever to make sure it is engaging the lens, and perhaps exercise it a bit to clean any corrosion off the aperture follwer resistor.
10-23-2008, 08:47 AM   #4
Banned

QuoteQuote:
If the battery is good, check the aperture follower lever to make sure it is engaging the lens
this is my advice as well. seems the meter still works as you say it responds to shutter speed changes.

10-23-2008, 06:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I had the exact same problem with my KX. Try cleaning the battery chamber, and the contact points. My lightmeter would flake out every now and again (usually when I needed it to work), but a quick brush with a small wire brush and some alcohol moistened q-tips fixed it very nicely.
10-23-2008, 09:57 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hmmm there seems to be a missing link somewhere. I've tried three different batteries, cleaning the battery chamber, and multiple lenses to rule out a bad aperture ring. How can I make sure the aperture lever in the camera is properly engaging with the lens?

Thanks for the help so far.

p.s.
Forgot to mention that if I set the shutter to "B" and the ASA to 100, the light meter shoots all the way up. Problem?
10-24-2008, 02:27 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by sharko Quote
p.s.
Forgot to mention that if I set the shutter to "B" and the ASA to 100, the light meter shoots all the way up. Problem?
Nope. That's what it should do.

If it started acting up "all of a sudden" I doubt it's the aperture following resistor becoming corroded... that doesn't just happen. My KX was that way when I got it, but I strongly suspect that it was stored in a cardboard box in someone's attic or basement for at least twenty years....
10-25-2008, 09:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sharko Quote
Hmmm there seems to be a missing link somewhere. I've tried three different batteries, cleaning the battery chamber, and multiple lenses to rule out a bad aperture ring. How can I make sure the aperture lever in the camera is properly engaging with the lens?

Thanks for the help so far.

p.s.
When you leave the lens off of the camera, and manually move the aperature sensing lever up and down, does the meter change accordingly?

Before I sold you this camera, I did mount a couple of lenses on it, and it was working properly. Even the original owner (whom I purchased the camera as part of a lens deal) said it was working a-ok.

10-26-2008, 10:03 AM   #9

Original Poster
Seems like something inside the camera is wrong. I don't know much about film SLR's but yeah if I move the aperture lever up and down it doesn't change anything. I thought it was moving a little at first but that was just my finger moving in and out of the view, lol. So I grabbed a pen and moved it and the light meter stayed stationary. What would need to be replaced at this point?
10-26-2008, 10:38 AM   #10

At this point I'd suggest sending it to Eric over at pentaxs.com. He's the best Pentax repair man there is. For about $65 total he'll make your K1000 like new.
10-26-2008, 11:58 AM   #11

Original Poster
Sounds like a plan. Thanks!