Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2008, 12:45 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
pz-1 mirror locked up

I just got a pz-1 from a guy on craigslist. He said its been sitting in a box for a while with no body cap. When he gave it to me it didnt have a battery. I just put a battery in it and put a lens on it and went to take a shot with no film and the mirrow locked up on me. The shutter is closed but the mirror is locked up. when i press the shutter button it just make a noise like a motor. it even tries to focus. It will fire flash and all but the shutter doesnt move and of course the mirror wont do anything. The film doesnt advance when i do this either. Am i missing something?

10-23-2008, 02:57 PM   #2

Sounds Like a Drivetrain Problem

QuoteOriginally posted by ronald_durst Quote
I just got a pz-1 from a guy on craigslist. He said its been sitting in a box for a while with no body cap. When he gave it to me it didnt have a battery. I just put a battery in it and put a lens on it and went to take a shot with no film and the mirrow locked up on me. The shutter is closed but the mirror is locked up. when i press the shutter button it just make a noise like a motor. it even tries to focus. It will fire flash and all but the shutter doesnt move and of course the mirror wont do anything. The film doesnt advance when i do this either. Am i missing something?
Sounds like something in the drivetrain of the camera broke. I have a ZX-5n that was in the same state and upon disassembly, I found a broken gear very close to the motor. All of the workings, shutter, film advance, mirror movement, etc are driven by the electric motor. If you just hear it spinning, something in the drive train has broken.
Unfortunately, it is probably not worth fixing, even if you can find someone who can get parts.
10-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
Forum Member

I just ran into this same problem today. Did you ever find the problem and fix it?