Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
01-06-2020, 11:46 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Spotmatic IIa- The Seldom Seen Spotmatic Now with Stobo-Eye 462 Strobonar!

The Spotmatic IIa seems to be the seldom seen Spotmatic. Only a single review in the PF Camera Reviews, very little information on the web and just a passing mention in most Pentax collectors books, The SPIIa just isn't all that popular. A North American Market only body with just a single new trick to distinguish itself from the SPII- a built in flash control photocell which allowed auto flash controlled by the camera with certain Honneywell Auto Stobonar flash units. A novel Idea, but apparently not one the camera buyers of the day paid much attention to, or purchased. The Spotmatic F with open aperture metering and other refinements came soon after.

My rather clean Spotmatic IIa was miss-listed as a Spotmatic F on eBay. I bought it for the lenses which came with the lot(S-M-C 50/1/4 & 135/3.5 $52 total including shipping and tax!!) and was pleasantly surprised at the very fine condition of the camera. The shutter and mirror function as they should, though the slowest speeds sound a bit too slow. The viewfinder is extremely clean. Also, the light meter works just fine with a Wein Cell 400 zinc-air cell installed. I've got to put a roll or two of film through this one in the spring to check everything out.

Being that the sole reason for the SPIIa is the flash metering capability, I decided to purchase a period correct flash unit for the camera. The Honeywell Strobonar 462 with Strobo-Eye System. The flash came in its original box with the charger and instructions. The unit does not work because the built in, fifty year old NiCad batteries have expired long ago.

One note- the 35/ f3.5 Super-Multi-Coated Takumar pictured is not the lens which came with this body. The SPIIa came with a Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50.1.4 which I use with my screw mount adapter equipped K5 body.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 

Last edited by steamloco76; 01-14-2020 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Added photo of flash control dial
01-06-2020, 11:58 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lovely! The SP IIa is rare indeed.
This one looks great!

Thanks,
01-06-2020, 12:44 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had one of those in black for a few weeks... sent it out to a collector who would hae a better use than mine

Honeywell-Pentax Spotmatic SPIIa
01-06-2020, 01:53 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

In case anyone is interested, the SP IIa manual is available on the Pentax Manuals site and includes detailed instructions on how to use the flash quench circuit.

Pentax Manuals | M42 Bodies

Note: Apparently all supported flash have the same guide number.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-06-2020 at 02:07 PM.
01-06-2020, 03:55 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
In case anyone is interested, the SP IIa manual is available on the Pentax Manuals site and includes detailed instructions on how to use the flash quench circuit.

Pentax Manuals | M42 Bodies

Note: Apparently all supported flash have the same guide number.

Steve
Well, it looks like I’d need a Strobonar 772 “potato masher” to be correct. If I find on for the same $22 the 360A cost, maybe. I do wonder why Honeywell Pentax showed the 360A on the SPIIa in an advertisement when that flash would not be dedicated to the camera, I guess.
01-07-2020, 11:34 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
The SPIIa just isn't all that popular. A North American Market only body
Being that the sole reason for the SPIIa is the flash metering capability, I decided to purchase a period correct flash unit for the camera. The unit pictured is a Honeywell 360 Auto/Strobonar.
Interesting camera/flash.

Honeywell blocked the sale of Pentax flashes available in the early 1970's, as they had their own line of flashes. Example the Pentax "Autorobo" which was released for the Pentax ES, was not available in North America.

Phil.
01-07-2020, 04:30 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, it looks like I’d need a Strobonar 772 “potato masher” to be correct. If I find on for the same $22 the 360A cost, maybe. I do wonder why Honeywell Pentax showed the 360A on the SPIIa in an advertisement when that flash would not be dedicated to the camera, I guess.
I also think the Auto Strobonar 462 is correct for the IIa

01-07-2020, 06:23 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
I also think the Auto Strobonar 462 is correct for the IIa
You are correct and I actually found one with the PC cord and charger on eBay. Of course the NiCads are toast, but I’d never take flash photos with a 50 year old electronic flash. Yikes. I’ll put the 360 I have on my SP or SPII.
01-10-2020, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thread photos updated

You are correct and I actually found one with the PC cord and charger on eBay. Of course the NiCads are toast, but I’d never take flash photos with a 50 year old electronic flash. Yikes. I’ll put the 360 I have on my SP or SPII.
Ive replaced the original photos of the SPIIa. The current photos show the camera with a correct Honeywell Strobonar Strobe-Eye 462 flash unit.
01-10-2020, 06:44 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Ive replaced the original photos of the SPIIa. The current photos show the camera with a correct Honeywell Strobonar Strobe-Eye 462 flash unit.
Wow! That was fast!

Steve
01-16-2024, 06:11 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
1973 Pentax Catalog Page SPiia

Here is the official Honeywell Pentax catalog page for the Spotmatic SPiia with StroboEye
Attached Images

01-16-2024, 10:05 AM   #12
Pentaxian

As the flash is controlled from the camera, how does the controlling signal get to the flash unit? Is there an additional contact in the hot-shoe to quench the flash, as appeared much later in the LX and subsequent cameras?

It must have been a lot better than Canon's Auto Tuning [CAT] flash system of around the same time, which was quite a contraption with a rotary potentiometer surrounding a special lens that transmitted the aperture via a cable to the flash unit, of which only one model (the low power Speedlite 133D) was ever produced. Both the Pentax Strobo-Eye and Canon CAT systems died rapid deaths with the advent of flash units with photocells in them, called "Auto" flash at the time.
01-21-2024, 10:52 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Several people have replaced the NiCad batteries in their winders and motor drives with modern batteries. You should consider updating the batteries so you have a fully-working set.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
As the flash is controlled from the camera, how does the controlling signal get to the flash unit? Is there an additional contact in the hot-shoe to quench the flash, as appeared much later in the LX and subsequent cameras?

It must have been a lot better than Canon's Auto Tuning [CAT] flash system of around the same time, which was quite a contraption with a rotary potentiometer surrounding a special lens that transmitted the aperture via a cable to the flash unit, of which only one model (the low power Speedlite 133D) was ever produced. Both the Pentax Strobo-Eye and Canon CAT systems died rapid deaths with the advent of flash units with photocells in them, called "Auto" flash at the time.
From the photos above it looks like you manually set the aperture on the flash control dial so the flash knows the aperture without the use of additional clunky cables.
01-21-2024, 01:24 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Man, $130 for a flash in 1973... like it was a brand new technology

I think I paid $100 for my new AF200T in ~1986... more power, TTL...

-Eric
01-21-2024, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Around 1975, I had one of those Honeywell flash units with built-in batteries. I used it with the Canon rangefinder camera I had at the time. One night I was awaken by an acrid smell - there a problem with the built-in batteries. This must have been a common problem - a few months later when I got around to looking for a new flash unit, all the ones I could find used replaceable batteries.