Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-07-2020, 11:27 AM   #1

Fixing the frame counter screw of a K-1000

Hello! I have a K-1000 and i just love it, super small, the meter is spot on, and it looks so good aww, it feels so good to shoot with it. But, the frame counter is broken sadly.
When i opened it to see what was wrong, i saw the head of the screw loose inside, and the screw broken. I suspect that someone tried to open it and twisted it like a normal screw
and snapped it. Now i wanted to replace it with a new one, to make this camera fully functional. But i don't know any measurement of it, i just know that it`s a clockwise screw (not a normal screw).
None of the manuals that i`ve read mentioned details about it. My second question is if i will be able to find it online even with the measures of this super tiny screw. If you know a place where i can find it,
please tell me!

Thanks!

01-07-2020, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe a junk camera off Ebay or shopgoodwill ?
01-07-2020, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, get a non-working for-parts K1000 or KM (identical except for the addition of a stop-down button and self-timer) and you have many replacement parts.

Or if you want something super-super-small, try an MX...
01-07-2020, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A junk SP500 or SP1000 is cheaper and the part is the same. I would suggest a Spotmatic but you might get a 231 Spotmatic instead of the 23102 version.

01-07-2020, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #5

Individual parts like that can sometimes be found on eBay. You just have to search and be patient. You can save a search to notify you on hits of the search terms.

The tough part will be extracting the broken screw as you may need an extractor for reverse threaded screws.
06-27-2020, 01:36 AM   #6

Broken frame counter screw

Hi all. New user here. Occasional reader through the years etc. I have recently started my mid-life 35mm film renaissance and had to deal with this exact issue - And I admit I was the culprit who damaged my bargain find SPF...Lesson learned.

So yesterday I took a couple of tiny drill bits and a finger drill and slowly ate through the remaining screw shaft. All I aimed to do was keep it central and provide a tidy hole to anchor a replacement fabrication that I could at least attach the counter to etc.

Starting with an 0.8mm bit, I managed to keep it straight and get through the old screw material and the bit bottomed out without drama - The threaded shaft is a couple of millimetres longer than the length of the screw. Then I used a 1.0mm bit to widen the hole and see if I could induce the scraps of the old screw to fall out, which they did. Surprisingly, I hadn't completely destroyed the thread, so I took a screw salvaged from an old ES donor body I picked up on Ebay for £15 and managed to get it to comply.

Now it works as it should. A little patience goes a long way, and a finger drill and a couple of tiny bit sizes is a pretty cheap solution.

Cheers folks.