Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2020, 12:19 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
Definitely more. Just that perhaps a good number of those who encountered this problem, didnt come online here to share.
Yes. That's why I said "that I've heard of".

QuoteQuote:
And it isnt just some MZ-S that got hit by this problem.
MZ-3s are also prone to this problem.
Yes. That's always been true; and not just the MZ-3 but all MZ/ZX variants are prone.
But with those others, there've been numerous accounts of failures here on the forum over the years, as opposed a couple posted re: the MZ-S specifically.
The MZ-S is a more premium camera and overall a slight bit newer, so it could be assumed just a cost barrier of entry skewing the numbers here just based on ownership, but really it's by no means an unpopular model around these parts - quite the opposite.

I only posted to reiterate that "ticking time bomb" brings to mind a "sky is falling" situation, and based on current failure numbers (even a couple more you've noted) just don't warrant that. Perhaps in a few more years it will, but for now... as you mention, there's nothing to be done but use them and see with fingers crossed.

For my part, I personally own both mentioned here, MZ-S and MZ-3, and they've been thus far fine. Here's hoping, everyone.

---------- Post added 01-09-20 at 11:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tannachyallen Quote

He quoted around £60 to do my MZ-S.

He thought it wise to be pre-empt the failure and get it done while spare nylon gears are available.
That is good news. If you're going to proceed and he's going in one way or another, it might behoove you to source the 3rd party brass gear mentioned in a thread elsewhere (I have the contact somewhere if you can't locate and are interested) and use that rather than nylon, or at least speak with him to see if he's comfortable exploring the option. Either way it'll be a win.

Last edited by Eyewanders; 01-09-2020 at 12:30 PM.
01-09-2020, 09:41 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

yeap. Go for the brass part if possible, and engage Asahi Brentford to do the necessary.

Much better than using the nylon part.
And likely will last you a couple hundred rolls of film, bare minimum.

And now i am thinking ... Should i do that as well ..... Then i can stop this at back of mind when i use the MZ-S .... About mirror-up
01-10-2020, 01:39 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
yeap. Go for the brass part if possible, and engage Asahi Brentford to do the necessary.

Much better than using the nylon part.
And likely will last you a couple hundred rolls of film, bare minimum.

And now i am thinking ... Should i do that as well ..... Then i can stop this at back of mind when i use the MZ-S .... About mirror-up
As I said in my earlier post, the reason he started testing and then using the nylon gear a few years back was because the brass part was no longer available. He’s not averse to using the brass gear he just cannot get the part any longer. As I understand it, the problem is the plastic splitting on the shaft, not wear/longevity of the gear teeth. In which case nylon will last indefinitely unless it gets very hot.

If you know for sure that the brass gear is available 3rd party I’m happy to contact them to try and purchase. I suspect the only source is the repair shop mentioned earlier in Japan?
01-10-2020, 03:04 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As I said in my earlier post, the reason he started testing and then using the nylon gear a few years back was because the brass part was no longer available. He’s not averse to using the brass gear he just cannot get the part any longer. As I understand it, the problem is the plastic splitting on the shaft, not wear/longevity of the gear teeth. In which case nylon will last indefinitely unless it gets very hot.

If you know for sure that the brass gear is available 3rd party I’m happy to contact them to try and purchase. I suspect the only source is the repair shop mentioned earlier in Japan?
Yes, that is correct. I sent in my MZ-S to them and they replaced it. They also cleaned the camera and it cost me USD$277 including shipping back to me.

01-10-2020, 03:23 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
Yes, that is correct. I sent in my MZ-S to them and they replaced it. They also cleaned the camera and it cost me USD$277 including shipping back to me.

Do you mean you sent it to Japan?
01-10-2020, 03:29 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you mean you sent it to Japan?
Yes, I sent it to Japan to get it fixed.

01-10-2020, 12:06 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Nylon is better than plastic. (That was the solution for a similar parts failure replacement experience I had a couple years ago with, of all things, a hand-crank burr coffee grinder haha)

Regarding the brass piece, just reposting here what I sent in a PM to termy:

Here is the site page for ordering the part: kkpmo - Zahnrad / Trieb M0.25 / 13 Zähne
Select (D) 1.5mm, (T) 2.0mm, and material "brass".

I actually ordered two or three of these (can't recall) back in 2016, but to be honest, we've moved since and I know they are *somewhere* but I'm not sure where. hahaha
I've them saved for that rainy day.

For the complete reference history, see this thread:
MZ5n mirror blocked, service manual? - Page 7 - PentaxForums.com
In particular look to post #92 there by "45 Mike" - he shares that link and spec needed for ordering.

It's worth pouring over that entire thread, but keep in mind a lot of it (photos) is specifically relating to the drive gear in an MZ-5n - the body of the MZ-S is obviously different than the other MZ and ZX model but they do share a fair number of internal parts.

"Not a Number" also references the same Polish site and gear spec here in another thread at post #4:
My old-New MZ-S After Returning From Repair - PentaxForums.com

May the force be with you.

01-10-2020, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Eyewanders Quote
Nylon is better than plastic. (That was the solution for a similar parts failure replacement experience I had a couple years ago with, of all things, a hand-crank burr coffee grinder haha)

Regarding the brass piece, just reposting here what I sent in a PM to termy:

Here is the site page for ordering the part: kkpmo - Zahnrad / Trieb M0.25 / 13 Zähne
Select (D) 1.5mm, (T) 2.0mm, and material "brass".

I actually ordered two or three of these (can't recall) back in 2016, but to be honest, we've moved since and I know they are *somewhere* but I'm not sure where. hahaha
I've them saved for that rainy day.

For the complete reference history, see this thread:
MZ5n mirror blocked, service manual? - Page 7 - PentaxForums.com
In particular look to post #92 there by "45 Mike" - he shares that link and spec needed for ordering.

It's worth pouring over that entire thread, but keep in mind a lot of it (photos) is specifically relating to the drive gear in an MZ-5n - the body of the MZ-S is obviously different than the other MZ and ZX model but they do share a fair number of internal parts.

"Not a Number" also references the same Polish site and gear spec here in another thread at post #4:
My old-New MZ-S After Returning From Repair - PentaxForums.com

May the force be with you.
Someone should pass that link on to Pramath so he can check if it really does fit the MZ-S - and if it does then that should ensure that he can repair many more in the future.
02-11-2020, 03:45 AM - 2 Likes   #24

Original Poster
Well, a quick update for all of the above that volunteered advice and information.

Pramath at Asahi Photo was sure that all the sources of the brass gear wheel (Poland etc) have all dried up and the only people with any stock of the brass part are NSB Tekunos in Japan.

Having talked with him about his numerous successes with MZ-5s, and MZ-3s (in fact all the MZ family) using the nylon gear wheel I decided to go ahead and get mine replaced before failure.

It arrived back yesterday and I now have a superb camera I feel I can rely on.

Asahi Photo changed the plastic gear with nylon, replaced seals and cleaned and checked the camera workings for the amazing price of £85 (including return postage!).............. I can remember sending an EOS 5 to Canon and they wanted £80 just to look at it......

Thanks again for all your interactions
12-03-2020, 11:32 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Anyone here in Canada that has gotten their MZ cameras repaired in country? I have a few casualties unfortunately: MZ-3, Mz-5n, MZ-7, MZ-M
12-03-2020, 10:25 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is the link of where in Japan I sent my MZ-S to.
https://www.nsb-tekunos.com//

You can try and write to them.
01-21-2021, 03:47 PM   #27

Hi tannachyallen, nor Asahi Photo neither Harrow Technical had been able to repair my beloved MZS but... A magic laboratory in Bologna still had an original Pentax spare motor! New gear isn't made in brass but in a special plastic melt with fiberglass. I put the laboratory link below as I think they still have some other (and be able to make happy other broken MZS owners!).

Riparazioni e assistenza fotocamere - Home
01-22-2021, 06:26 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Anyone here in Canada that has gotten their MZ cameras repaired in country? I have a few casualties unfortunately: MZ-3, Mz-5n, MZ-7, MZ-M
I'd be happy to hear of someone in North America as well...

I don't think the Pentax fixing Eric does the newest models...

-Eric (another one...)
03-07-2021, 02:04 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like no one in N America is repairing the MZ series cameras. Best best is to send to Japan. Their repair is superb.