Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2020, 09:44 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
MZ-S.......can they be repaired????

I've just got a MZ-S body. Have wanted one for years...............…. Got it on a 'best offer' on eBay. Its almost pristine (apart from the rubber plugs that have turned to goo long ago!).

It's a joy to use with all the Pentax glass that I own.

However, it would seem that I have bought a time bomb. Going by the serial no.(47....) and 'Asahi Optics Co' on the base plate it would appear that this is a pre 2002 body with a plastic gear wheel. Nobody in the UK can do the repair. It would seem that worldwide there is just 1 company in Japan that can do the trick.

How many MZ-S bodies have had this failure, is this an urban myth? I've only read one account on the forum?????

would love to hear back on any advice/information...….

truly,

Dave Allen

01-08-2020, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These two threads have lots of info on this subject:

The real truth on the MZ-S mirror motor gear? - PentaxForums.com

My old-New MZ-S After Returning From Repair - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

Phil.
01-08-2020, 10:06 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

I have 2 MZ-S's, both have a 484**** serial # (actually only 33 numbers between them) with Asahi Optics Co. First had only 3 rolls, the other 62 according to the leader imprinting. Both are working great no issues, plan to use as I would any other camera and not worry whether they have a plastic gear or not. They are wonderful camera, just use it, enjoy it and if it breaks deal with repair then or buy another. Remember there's other way a camera can break down, all cameras will eventually break or need some kind of service.
01-08-2020, 10:13 AM   #4

good to know about this potential issue, would like to try an MZ-S at some point (after getting the 3 FA limiteds).

01-08-2020, 12:24 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Thanks Phil, yes have read those threads and others.

Cheers,

Dave A.

---------- Post added 01-08-20 at 07:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by longbow Quote
I have 2 MZ-S's, both have a 484**** serial # (actually only 33 numbers between them) with Asahi Optics Co. First had only 3 rolls, the other 62 according to the leader imprinting. Both are working great no issues, plan to use as I would any other camera and not worry whether they have a plastic gear or not. They are wonderful camera, just use it, enjoy it and if it breaks deal with repair then or buy another. Remember there's other way a camera can break down, all cameras will eventually break or need some kind of service.
Thanks Longbow, that's why I wonder if its an urban myth as mine is doing fine and there doesn't seem to be many examples of others having the same problem!?
01-08-2020, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tannachyallen Quote
Thanks Longbow, that's why I wonder if its an urban myth as mine is doing fine and there doesn't seem to be many examples of others having the same problem!?
I'm sure it's true that earlier MZ-S cameras have the plastic gear, as there are enough examples. However it does not mean that your plastic mirror gear MZ-S will die after shooting a few rolls. It could happen after hundreds of rolls of film and may also depend on the environment the camera was used in and your style of shooting. (It's possible single frame shooting may be easier on the gear than continuous or bracketed shooting??)

Phil.
01-08-2020, 03:50 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I've just got a MZ-S body. Have wanted one for years...............…. Got it on a 'best offer' on eBay. Its almost pristine (apart from the rubber plugs that have turned to goo long ago!).

It's a joy to use with all the Pentax glass that I own.

However, it would seem that I have bought a time bomb. Going by the serial no.(47....) and 'Asahi Optics Co' on the base plate it would appear that this is a pre 2002 body with a plastic gear wheel. Nobody in the UK can do the repair. It would seem that worldwide there is just 1 company in Japan that can do the trick.

How many MZ-S bodies have had this failure, is this an urban myth? I've only read one account on the forum?????

would love to hear back on any advice/information...….

truly,

Dave Allen
@tannachyallen

Where have you tried to get the camera repaired in the UK?

01-08-2020, 10:23 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I

While the thread is accurate, I've only heard of two MZ-S cameras that have had a failed gear of this kind. It's useful information but you do not have a "ticking time bomb".
Use the camera. Chances are that everything will be fine. (I've a serial number near yours and have used it occasionally for nearly 4 years now)
01-09-2020, 03:20 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
@tannachyallen

Where have you tried to get the camera repaired in the UK?
I've enquired with Johnstones in Glasgow, Harrow technical, John Pye technical who all came back negative. Still waiting to hear from Sendean Cameras.

Any others you would recommend trying?

I also asked Eric Hendrickson in the USA. He said he doesn't work on that model.

Last edited by tannachyallen; 01-09-2020 at 03:25 AM.
01-09-2020, 03:27 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eyewanders Quote
While the thread is accurate, I've only heard of two MZ-S cameras that have had a failed gear of this kind. It's useful information but you do not have a "ticking time bomb".
Use the camera. Chances are that everything will be fine. (I've a serial number near yours and have used it occasionally for nearly 4 years now)
Definitely more. Just that perhaps a good number of those who encountered this problem, didnt come online here to share.

Where i am, there's already three MZ-S that were hit by this 'mirror-up' problem.
Two were sent to Tekunos for repair.
One, the owner undecided, whether to repair or just forget about it.

And it isnt just some MZ-S that got hit by this problem.
MZ-3s are also prone to this problem.

That said, as i shared with the OP separately, there's not really any point to think or worry about it.

Just go out and shoot, enjoy the MZ-S for what it is.

If it happens, it happens.
And yes, there is no guarantee that it will happen.

My own MZ-S serial number 4xxxxx, but i have put about 60 rolls of film thru it, still going fine.

If it can last another 30-40 rolls before 'mirror-up', i will be more than happy. And will have to decide, repair, or forget it.
01-09-2020, 03:27 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eyewanders Quote
Thanks, @eyewanders and @termy, that's good to hear!
01-09-2020, 03:31 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

I've enquired with Johnstones in Glasgow, Harrow technical, John Pye technical who all came back negative. Still waiting to hear from Sendean Cameras.

Any others you would recommend trying?

I also asked Eric Hendrickson in the USA. He said he doesn't work on that model.
I suggest you try Asahi Photo in Brentford - they certainly used to work on MZ-series cameras as they repaired my MZ-5N many years ago.

HOWEVER, don't use the Contact link on their website (they rarely seem to monitor it and to reply) but phone them (02082328111) and I think Pramath is the person to whom you should try to speak.
01-09-2020, 03:38 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
I suggest you try Asahi Photo in Brentford - they certainly used to work on MZ-series cameras as they repaired my MZ-5N many years ago.

HOWEVER, don't use the Contact link on their website (they rarely seem to monitor it and to reply) but phone them (02082328111) and I think Pramath is the person to whom you should try to speak.
Ah yes, I think I did send them a message via their web page link. I will give them a phone. Thanks!
01-09-2020, 04:47 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

it will be great if Asahi Photo in Brentford could address MZ-S mirror-up.
Then, there be at least one more place that could sort this problem.
01-09-2020, 05:40 AM - 1 Like   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
it will be great if Asahi Photo in Brentford could address MZ-S mirror-up.
Then, there be at least one more place that could sort this problem.
Well, good news! I've just spoken with Pramath at Asahi Photo. (tel: 02085606856)

He's not able to get the brass gear but has been using a nylon gear which is much more durable than the original plastic and doesn't split.

He's been using them on a range of MZ cameras over the past 2 years and hasn't had any problems/returns so far.

He quoted around £60 to do my MZ-S.

He thought it wise to be pre-empt the failure and get it done while spare nylon gears are available.